• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Long road on getting title/tag on MK48 in Oklahoma...

Spdracr

This has been a long haul on trying to do this. When I bought the MK48/14 from GovPlanet about a year ago or so, for some reason I didn't see it or didn't know better but didn't get a Form 97 or title with the truck. So I get the truck and have tried a little to get this done but just got serious a month or so ago to get the truck tagged. I was going to tag the power unit and trailer separate so the GVW would be less than 80000 lbs on either so I don't get into weigh issues with a heavy tagged vehicle. I have a crane that weighs 90000 and even with a farm tag I have to buy a special permit every year. So I have a woman who does this for people go thru the process of getting a title for me. I get a phone call today from Oklahoma DOT and want to know a few things. One thing leads to another and I need this Form 97 to continue getting a title for it. Well, I call GovPlanet and talk to a guy and he tells/warms me that these trucks have been recalled and I have slipped thru the cracks. Probably because I never got the Form 97 or title from the start. He then tells me that I am taking a chance by filing to get one and could get red flagged when the paper work goes thru and get a call from someone about returning the truck back. He says I would be compensated but doesn't know how much. So now here I am, have the truck but can't title it, or at least take a chance on it. I think, since I farm and going to use the truck on the farm, that I am going to put a SMV sign on it and go use it as a water truck as intended. I figure since it articulates in the middle, they (the highway patrols?) would see it like I do more as a tractor or implement than truck. What do you all think of this or any other options here. I really would like to keep the truck and stay under the radar. The truck was rebuilt before I got it and it is really in "new" shape. Seems like crap like this only happens to me..... I have a M977 and have it tagged because I bought it from an individual in PA and it was all ready titled and just re titled it in OK and tagged it with no problems.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Trailers in OK do not require a tag unless used commercially.
That truck does NOT qualify as a SMV. Try it and you will end up getting stopped and your truck towed.

Under Oklahoma law, former military vehicles are exempt from the weight restrictions and commercial licensing requirements. No CDL needed.
My 5 tons are registered just like a pickup.
I don't even have to display a tag. Just have to have it in the cab.

The statutes are online and the tag agent can call HQ and ask.

edit;
Ive always had a SF97 so not sure how you would get a title without one in OK.

Last edited:

Spdracr

That is my hang up. I can try to get a Form 97, and probably can do, but it opens up the chance of getting a phone call and them wanting it back. If I did get the call, can I refuse to give it back and can they not give me the Form 97. Just don't know how to play this out.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
There is no recall on the MK48s. Just a demil change. Most of the operators at govplanet don't have a clue other than "What is the item number?" I sent you a PM on who to contact about getting a title.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Plenty of these trucks were sold by GL and then GP. Even more of all flavors of trailers.

They are not recalled as I don't believe any but the ones sold right at the demil change were asked to be returned.

Uncle sam is not using them but has bowed to pressure to having them destroyed instead of sold. Most are now sold as 100% demil scrap with no parts culling. I do not believe they are in current USMC fleets. Current Marines can better answer.

Ironically, There was a MK48 with trailer listed on GP recently.

Now the hemetts were also changed but those are going back to Oshkosh to rebuild. Uncle figured out it was wiser to retain and rebuild than get the literal pennies on the dollar they cost when sold on GP/GL.

If in doubt, Call DLA at battle creek but my experience in dealing with them is less than satisfactory.

Last edited:

Gunzy

Did you have to do an EUC on the MK48 when you purchased it? I say go ahead and file for the SF97, they are not recalling/buy back the trucks. When the demill changed the trucks that were not picked up were kept and buyers refunded but no one who already owns one or had it in their possession was required to return it. The last few MK48/HEMTTs that were listed on GP were actually private sales. The M977 in Utah closed at $31K and was shipped to Germany, so if the Demill change was that big of a deal that would have been stopped at export by DLA. So, get the SF 97 and license it then work it, DLA will not come after it as it will cost them too much money in the end.

carlandedith

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello,
I live outside Sapulpa, Oklahoma. I have a 1984 M923
Can you tell me we’re I can find that Oklahoma law saying that no CDL is required for my military truck?
[ QUOTE=Tinstar;2041038]Trailers in OK do not require a tag unless used commercially.
That truck does NOT qualify as a SMV. Try it and you will end up getting stopped and your truck towed.

Under Oklahoma law, former military vehicles are exempt from the weight restrictions and commercial licensing requirements. No CDL needed.

edit;
Ive always had a SF97 so not sure how you would get a title without one in OK.[/QUOTE]

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Hello,
Can you tell me we’re I can find that Oklahoma law saying that no CDL is required for my military truck?
[ QUOTE=Tinstar;2041038]Trailers in OK do not require a tag unless used commercially.

edit;
Ive always had a SF97 so not sure how you would get a title without one in

https://law.justia.com/codes/oklahoma/2014/title-47/section-47-1136.2/

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello,

edit;

Posting a copy & pasted Quote of the Law mentioned above.....

Title 47. Motor Vehicles
§47-1136.2. Former military vehicles.

Universal Citation: 47 OK Stat § 47-1136.2 (2014)
A. Except as provided in this section, former military vehicles shall be exempt from the provisions of the Oklahoma Vehicle License and Registration Act if:

1. The former military vehicle is used only for exhibitions, club activities, parades, and other functions of public interest and will not be used for regular transportation; and

2. The owner of the former military vehicle files with the Oklahoma Tax Commission or a motor license agent a sworn affidavit, signed by the owner, stating that the vehicle is a former military vehicle and will be used solely for the purposes listed in paragraph 1 of this subsection.

B. Upon each former military vehicle, the annual license fee shall be Twenty Dollars ($20.00). Upon initial registration, the owner shall make application for the flat license fee which application shall include the year of manufacture and a description of the vehicle containing information as may be required by the Commission, including the information required in paragraphs 1 and 2 of subsection A of this section.

C. A former military vehicle shall not be required to display a license plate if current proof of registration for the vehicle, in a form prescribed by the Commission, is carried in the vehicle. In addition, the vehicle shall display in a prominent location on the vehicle a registration mark prescribed by the Commission. The Commission shall allow the use of a unique identification mark similar to the mark assigned that vehicle by the branch of the armed forces in which the vehicle was used. If such a mark is not used, the Commission shall designate a registration mark consisting of numbers, letters, or numbers and letters in combination at least two (2) inches in height. To the extent possible, the location and design of the registration mark shall conform to the official military design and markings of the vehicle.

D. A certificate of title shall be issued for a former military vehicle, and the applicable fees for the issuance of a certificate of title as provided pursuant to the Oklahoma Vehicle License and Registration Act shall apply.

E. All penalties pursuant to the Oklahoma Vehicle License and Registration Act relating to the failure to register a vehicle shall apply to this section if the former military vehicle is not properly registered or is used in a manner which violates the provisions of paragraph 1 or 2 of subsection A of this section.

F. As used in this section, "former military vehicle" means a vehicle which has been, but no longer is, used by the armed forces of a national government and which displays markings indicating it was a military vehicle.

Added by Laws 1997, c. 204, § 2, eff. Nov. 1, 1997.

carlandedith

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank You

Hello,

edit;

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks