• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Long term storage results.

Bettendorf

Hello, everyone. Just a short history. I bought a 1986 CUCVwith 7,500 miles on it back in Dec. 2008 on Ft. Carson. I drove it everyday from March 2009 to July 2009, adding 2,000 miles to it. I searched here to find out what I should before storing it. I found that I should top off the fuel tank, get the oil changed and disconnect the batteries, so that's what I did. In July 2009, I parked it in the garage. Just a few days ago, I reconnecting the batteries and it started right back up. I think I've put about another 50 miles on it in the past couple days and everything seems to be just fine. Does anyone suggest that I do anything else now that she's running again after 8 months? Thank you.

aebiv

Dump some additive in the tank. I recommend the Redline diesel stuff.

Then again, I use that every fillup thanks to that ultra low sulfur crap diesel now aua

Dodge man

Hello, everyone. Just a short history. I bought a 1986 CUCVwith 7,500 miles on it back in Dec. 2008 on Ft. Carson. I drove it everyday from March 2009 to July 2009, adding 2,000 miles to it. I searched here to find out what I should before storing it. I found that I should top off the fuel tank, get the oil changed and disconnect the batteries, so that's what I did. In July 2009, I parked it in the garage. Just a few days ago, I reconnecting the batteries and it started right back up. I think I've put about another 50 miles on it in the past couple days and everything seems to be just fine. Does anyone suggest that I do anything else now that she's running again after 8 months? Thank you.
It's probably too late for you now but the OLD Mercedes Benz owner's manuals suggested that for long term storage you jack up their vehicles and support them by the frame to relieve pressure on the tires and springs. They also suggested that you give the vehicle a heavy coat of automotive paste wax to protect the paint and sheet metal. They said NOT to buff it off until you returned and were taking it out of storage. They made some other suggestions but these are the two that stood out in my mind. I don't know if they said anything about treating the tires but today I would give them a good coat of Armor-All or something similar to prevent them from drying out. Come to think of it that would probably be a GOOD idea to use it on all rubber and plastic parts inside and out.

ehuppert

FYI, NO armorall! Product actually removes the oils from rubber, vinyl, etc. causing more damage than if left dry. Do a google, lots of info on this subject on the net!

Eric