• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Long term storage

bgekky3

I will be headed be headed back south for 3 to 16 months on September 8th. What should I do for long term storage for a deuce? It will be outside exposed to northeastern Ohio winters. No one will be available to start or drive it while I am gone.

I was planning on spraying it with oil and taking out the batteries and storing them inside. I am also going to put in moth balls to keep the rodents out.

Is there anything else I should do to prepare it for the neglect that it will recieve?

On a side note, I will be going from Mantua, Ohio to Artesia, New Mexico. I can ship small items on the way there if anyone needs something moved.

papercu

I can almost guarantee it has been stored outside most of it life, a few months more won't harm it. Cover/tape up all holes that you can , exhaust and intake for sure. Check antifreeze. If the batteries lose their charge they can freeze, and without a charger most batteries are not going to last 16 months. Good luck, Wayne

Drain the filters and the airtanks to remove excess water before freezing temps arrive.

What about jacking it up to get the weight off the tires? Flat spots on the tire can be quite unnerving. If it sits exposed in the sun I also would cover the tires with a tarp or other cover to prevent tire rot / cracking.

Cheers,
Mark

GoHot229

Yep a can on the exhaust, wired so the wind wont get it, mabe something-or-other to cover the tires from the elements/sun and I know this will sound way out there but some sort of predator urine, something used in agriculture for keeping critters out of gardens or such to address the critters under the hood, also address the battery situation. Park slightly down hill the downslope on the back of the Deuce to drain rainwater out so it dos'nt get leaves in the front drain holes, clog and pool up.

dittle

One thing you might do is not put the hand parking brake on, but chock the heck out of the wheels. Before all of you guys start beating me up over it let me explain the reason. If the parking brake is applied for that long of time with the moisture in the air it is possible that the brake pad could rust to the brake drum and/or the parking brake cable could rust in place. When you go to use it the next time if either of these are rusted up you will have a small project just to get the truck mobile again. Ok, let the beatings begin :-D

wiggall

I would park it so the sun does not hit the fuel tank. So there is a lesser chance of water condencing in the fuel tank.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd shop around for a foster parent to look after it while you are gone. This time of storage is not unusual for a deuce but since it's your truck, not a gov't assett, I'd do a little more to preserved it. If you could get someone to go by even once every 3 months and give it a good ride to warm things up, that would be great.

emr

awesome advise, tires off ground cover exhaust, never cover a vehicle with a tarp that does not have alot of ventalation, it will condensate and rot the vehicle being protected, a sun reflective tart folded in half big enough to cover the bed cargo area and over the cab just over some of the hood and not over the sides by more than a foot or two, will let air under it, and the deadly UV rays off it, I have found that this is awesome, and have had a truck like this for a year, PULL the batts and put them in a basement or garage with a batt tender on em, better with a smart type that desulphates and maintans and says it will lose NO water, I use those, every regular type of maintainer does evaprorate batt fluid, and should not be left on for more than a month at a time, water checked let em sit a week and put it back on, that is of course unless U get a good one, worth every cent when U fire it up and the batts are ready to go, good luck...

dk8019

Hey, seriously, drop it off here on your way south, it can hang out with the M109 and M814 for the winter, and I'll make sure to take it on a nice drive ever two weeks just to make sure she's happy. I'm just a few hours south, and there's plenty of room to store it here.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey, seriously, drop it off here on your way south, it can hang out with the M109 and M814 for the winter, and I'll make sure to take it on a nice drive ever two weeks just to make sure she's happy. I'm just a few hours south, and there's plenty of room to store it here.
Best advice/ offer yet!

bgekky3

I am going to be using the truck to store some of my stuff when I am gone, so I want it to be parked where it is parked.

I like the idea of not using the E brake. It was a southwest truck and is starting to show some signs of being up north. It is starting to get some rust and the E brake sticks at times. Fixing it is on my to do list, just not towards the top right now.

I am going to have to look up pickling. I have poured ATF in intakes of gas engine before storing them for the winter. I was thinking about doing something like that, but I thought the multi might have a runaway type situation or the engine just wouldn't shut down until the ATF was used up.

Thanks again for all the suggestions. I would have missed a lot of things without your help.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
On a side note, I will be going from Mantua, Ohio to Artesia, New Mexico.

Artesia, huh:!::?:
Let's see.... Border Patrol School, Oil, Refinery.... Middle of NOWHERE.... I'm sure it's not for leisure:roll: LOL Even the alien UFO's went to Roswell instead of Artesia:tin hat::jumpin:

I've got in-laws in Alamorgordo, NM and pass through Artesia several times a year on our way from San Angelo, TX. (It's a fuel/potty stop on the 400mile route.)

If we do a recovery at Holloman AFB @ Alamogordo I may hollar at you before coming through.

Heath_h49008

Bumping a golden moldy here, but I'm recovering my truck in February... the batteries are good now, and the seller is happy to let me winterize her any way I wish.
Can with wire capping the exhaust.... fuel additive and fresh diesel, I was going to run her with the fresh/additive enhanced fuel for a couple of hours to charge the batteries and then pull them to keep them warm for the next 2 1/2 months.

What additive would you recommend?

Drain the airtanks, of course...

drain the fuel filters?

A loose tarp (It's a soft-top with a good top) to protect the top but let her breathe?

Any worry about snow load on the soft-top? should I put an angled board up there?

Any sage wisdom would be welcome... I just can't afford to drive 6+ hrs just to run it for 20 minutes every week or two.

Thanks guys

Big Z

You should store vehicles with fresh oil if that is an option (dirty oil + long time = not so good). If it's low mileage oil I really wouldn't worry about it. Sta-bil for diesel is easy to get ahold of. I would throw some oil in the fuel...I don't have any proof but I imagine it wouldn't hurt to have it in the tank and lines. Rodent repellent. Storing the tank fairly full will probably help with some condensation. You might treat the coolant. Might be worth your time to silicone lube weatherstripping if its in decent shape already.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Yeah my house is free for storage, but I am a little off the beating path. Any large climate controlled storage units near you? We have alot around here with the lake and the big boats. I think they are like 39 or 49$ a month for a big big one. Wouldnt be a bad idea for a 70 degree winter for the ole girl.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks