• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Long Time Lurker, Finally Showing My M1009

kingchr

Hey All,

Long time lurker, but I figured it was time to show "The World" my truck. She is an '84 M1009 with about 53,000 on the clock. Got her from French Camp, Ca on 5/11 of this year. Found that she had a broken starter bolt, which was why they couldn't get her started and I got her fairly cheap ($1528.98). A left hand drill bit, some electrical tape to keep the bit centered and a cordless drill had that thing out in no time. Pair of new batteries, installed new bolts, torqued to speck, tighten starter brace, and she fired right up!

of course she has the broken tailgate window crank (they left the carcas in the back) and the usual forklift dents from those EXCELLENT forklift operators GL seems to never run out of, but other than that, she is a straight and smooth running truck.

I just got the antenna brackets and brush guards mounted today. I plan on picking up some 33" x 10.5" x 15 tires this week, as she is my winter driving truck, and the roads are starting to look slick between my house in Southern Oregon, and where I work in Nor. California. Other than a fresh coat of CARC three color, mounting the Antennas (AB-15s) and a CB, I plan to leave her pretty much stock.

It appears either this truck was once a chaplains truck, or the right door was on one, as there is a large cross under a coat of CARC tan paint. Any ideas why they ran the light bar? Maybe a wide-load lead truck? I am also lost on the bumper numbers, I have read several threads about them, but my poor brain can't quite turn others examples into a general way to read them. Can anyone help me out? I think that this was vechile 182 of Bravo Company, but other than that, I am at a loss.\

Thanks all, have a great one,
Christopher

Attachments

kingchr

Just pulled the trigger on a set of BFGoodrich Mud Terrains in 33x10.5x15. They had to order them in though, so another two hour round trip tomorrow to go get them put on. They cost almost as much as the truck ($1200.00)! :-( I found them cheaper, but for the other store to get them I would have been looking at after next Monday some time, and I need to be back at work in central Cal. by then. Does anyone know if a 10.5 inch tire can be safely mounted on a 6" wide rim? I want to keep my old tires, and mount them on an old set of 6 lug Chevy steal rims I have, but they are only 6"ers... I want these around so when I want to take a longer road trip with no chance of snow-mud I don't have to tear up my nice tires. Looking at the bumper numbers again, it looks like maybe she served with the 382nd for the last part of her career. This is supported by the fact that she has a US Army Reserve property tag right under the data plate.

Have a good one y'all, thanks for all the words of encouragement,
Christopher

kingchr

New Shoes

Here is a pic with the new tires on. They seem to give plenty of traction (dragged a c20 suburban with the brakes locked in loose gravel yesterday) and the road noise is no worse than before with the 31x10.5x15 Goodyear Wranglers the government left on it.

I also installed a new Rancho Steering stabilizer. Prior to installing this, she had a tendency to not want to track straight. With the new stabilizer, the truck seems to track great. Oriley's gets $61.99 for it here in Oregon, but I think it was worth it.

Have a good one,
Christopher

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks