• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Long to Short Injector swap headaches

Barrman

I am putting a HMMWV can 6.2 in my M715. It had the long injectors which resulted in the #6 and #8 lines hitting my heater housing when we test fitted the engine. Not to worry I thought because Warthog has a 1988 CUCVII/contract military truck with a 6.2 and short injectors in my pasture. I put the engines next to each other, removed the intakes, removed the lines, swapped each injector out and then tried to keep the short injector lines with the short injectors and the long lines with the long injectors.

Nothing matches up. Since I had the lines still bolted as a side set, I figured it must be the different valve covers. Valve covers were swapped engine to engine. Which will actually be a good thing since the '88 engine has the valve cover mounted vent system compared to the CUCV snake nest vent system for the engine. Nope, that didn't help any either.

Valve covers back off and the lines just don't match up. When paired with the injectors they used to be bolted to. Nothing came apart hard either.

However, I can put the long lines with the short injectors and just a little push makes them fit. I haven't tried the short lines with the long injectors yet. The only thing different between the engines is the fittings on the IP. The Can engine has shorter fittings at the IP. But, since the trouble has been distance between the valve cover and injector, I don't think that is it.

Has anybody else ever run ito this? I will make them work, but keep thinking I missed something.

Thanks.

scottladdy

I am putting a HMMWV can 6.2 in my M715. It had the long injectors which resulted in the #6 and #8 lines hitting my heater housing when we test fitted the engine. Not to worry I thought because Warthog has a 1988 CUCVII/contract military truck with a 6.2 and short injectors in my pasture. I put the engines next to each other, removed the intakes, removed the lines, swapped each injector out and then tried to keep the short injector lines with the short injectors and the long lines with the long injectors.

Nothing matches up. Since I had the lines still bolted as a side set, I figured it must be the different valve covers. Valve covers were swapped engine to engine. Which will actually be a good thing since the '88 engine has the valve cover mounted vent system compared to the CUCV snake nest vent system for the engine. Nope, that didn't help any either.

Valve covers back off and the lines just don't match up. When paired with the injectors they used to be bolted to. Nothing came apart hard either.

However, I can put the long lines with the short injectors and just a little push makes them fit. I haven't tried the short lines with the long injectors yet. The only thing different between the engines is the fittings on the IP. The Can engine has shorter fittings at the IP. But, since the trouble has been distance between the valve cover and injector, I don't think that is it.

Has anybody else ever run ito this? I will make them work, but keep thinking I missed something.

Thanks.
Didn't the injector angle change on the later heads? Could that be what you are dealing with?

Barrman

That could very well be. We bolted the short lines up to the long injectors this afternoon. Not a bit of trouble making things fit that way. Once we finish painting the valve covers, we will put them on Monday and try the long lines with the short injectors.

Barrman

Well, at least in my case the lines have to stay with the engine. Long lines work fine with short injectors and short lines work fine with long injectors.

Barrman

I gained 1/4" clearance on the #8 injector line. Or, the line is now 1/4" closer to the head on all injectors. Just wanted to make sure I put an end to this thread with an answer.

Barrman

I had to use a ruler to figure out I had gained 1/4". Looking at a long injector engine, taking a step and looking at the same side of a short injector engine left me wondering. No way a picture would show it. We are almost done putting the 6.2C engine all back together. I will get a picture then. The 6.2GP engine is running about a day behind the C engine as we swap stuff around, clean it up and put it together. Pictures will show up somewhere one of these days.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks