• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Longer wheel studs

rccollin

Are there longer wheel studs available for the front wheels? I am running 395's on PLS-T wheels, on peashooter's adapters. My lug nuts are pretty much flush with the end of my studs. Kinda worried about them backing off, or snapping off. Any info on where I can get a longer set would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I'm using re-centered Hemtt rims and my lugs are pretty close to being flush. I haven't had any issues with them backing off, if your worried about it, put a line across the assembly, that will tell you at a glance if they are backing off.

Why would you worry about them snapping, that isn't logical.

daytonatrbo

I'm using re-centered Hemtt rims and my lugs are pretty close to being flush. I haven't had any issues with them backing off, if your worried about it, put a line across the assembly, that will tell you at a glance if they are backing off.

Why would you worry about them snapping, that isn't logical.
+1

As long as the nuts are fully engaged (flush or better) additional length will not help anything.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
You should be able to hit any "big truck" place and show them one of yours. They can look up a similar, longer stud.

peashooter

Are there longer wheel studs available for the front wheels? I am running 395's on PLS-T wheels, on peashooter's adapters. My lug nuts are pretty much flush with the end of my studs. Kinda worried about them backing off, or snapping off. Any info on where I can get a longer set would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
You Can get longer wheel studs, but just a little heads up that studs are pricey ($4-9 each) and you almost always need to buy them in packs of 25 (25 right, 25 left). If you buy them individually they will almost certain by at the $7-9/ea price.

rccollin

You Can get longer wheel studs, but just a little heads up that studs are pricey ($4-9 each) and you almost always need to buy them in packs of 25 (25 right, 25 left). If you buy them individually they will almost certain by at the $7-9/ea price.
Yeah that is pretty pricey. Do you have any part numbers, or know where I can look for them at.? I wouldn't mind just changing to all right hand threads while I'm at it

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah that is pretty pricey. Do you have any part numbers, or know where I can look for them at.? I wouldn't mind just changing to all right hand threads while I'm at it
I'll tell you right now, before a flame war starts, that this has come up several times and is not considered to be a good or safe idea. There are convincing mechanical reasons why the right/left threads need to be there. Changing all to right hand thread drastically increases the chance of loosening lug nuts on the driver's side of the truck. If you do a search you will find some angry posts about why that is. I know. I thought of doing it, too.

peashooter

Here are some options for longer wheel studs (about 3/8" longer) with all other dimensions being the same:
Left Hand:
WA07-5141
BWP® M-2437
DAYTON®13-1204L
EUCLID E-5910L
MERITOR®20X345

Right Hand:
WA07-5173
BWP® M-2436
DAYTON®13-1204R
EUCLID® E-5910R
MERITOR®20X344

rccollin

I'll tell you right now, before a flame war starts, that this has come up several times and is not considered to be a good or safe idea. There are convincing mechanical reasons why the right/left threads need to be there. Changing all to right hand thread drastically increases the chance of loosening lug nuts on the driver's side of the truck. If you do a search you will find some angry posts about why that is. I know. I thought of doing it, too.
Really??? I will have to do some research. What makes these axles so different than others??? I know a lot of people running rebuild rockwells on high horsepower rock crawlers and buggies that have all right hand lugs, and never have any problems. But I will certainly look it up on here and see what has to be said. Thanks for the heads up!

rccollin

Here are some options for longer wheel studs (about 3/8" longer) with all other dimensions being the same:
Left Hand:
WA07-5141
BWP® M-2437
DAYTON®13-1204L
EUCLID E-5910L
MERITOR®20X345

Right Hand:
WA07-5173
BWP® M-2436
DAYTON®13-1204R
EUCLID® E-5910R
MERITOR®20X344

Thanks for all the info! Do you happen to have the part number for the lug nuts. I'm going to change those out as well. Thanks again.

rustystud

Really??? I will have to do some research. What makes these axles so different than others??? I know a lot of people running rebuild rockwells on high horsepower rock crawlers and buggies that have all right hand lugs, and never have any problems. But I will certainly look it up on here and see what has to be said. Thanks for the heads up!
Most wheels this size use 10 lug nuts. Our deuce uses 6. So the manufacture decided to use left hand threads on the right side of the truck. Many manufactures have done this over the years. Chrysler used them for years until the early 1960's . It's all about the torque direction of the wheel. Even today on our modern heavy trucks the right side lug nuts have a tendency to come loose due to this directional torque .

rccollin

Most wheels this size use 10 lug nuts. Our deuce uses 6. So the manufacture decided to use left hand threads on the right side of the truck. Many manufactures have done this over the years. Chrysler used them for years until the early 1960's . It's all about the torque direction of the wheel. Even today on our modern heavy trucks the right side lug nuts have a tendency to come loose due to this directional torque .
Good of info to know. Thanks!