• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Longest recovery trip on record?

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
3755 miles. Indianapolis (retrieve truck) to Clarksville TN (trailer pickup) to Kansas City (drop trailer) to St Louis to Columbus OH(pick up m109a3 on towbars) to Waco TX(drop m109a3 and towbars) to Tucson. I've had enough seat time for a while....

Attachments

Last edited:

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thats about twice the most I've done, about 1800 miles. Dayton, OH to Phoenix, AZ in the 5 ton. On that trip, we did drive from Phoenix to Dayton in a pickup with a gooseneck trailer with military vehicles on it, and that trailer came back with a M114 on the back.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
If memory serves me, Westy's was a tad longer. Spring green Wi, to Cincy, to San Antone, to Oklahoma city, Topeka ks, Spring green, Cincy, and home again.

Just shy of 4k.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thats about twice the most I've done, about 1800 miles. Dayton, OH to Phoenix, AZ in the 5 ton. On that trip, we did drive from Phoenix to Dayton in a pickup with a gooseneck trailer with military vehicles on it, and that trailer came back with a M114 on the back.

Yeah, and you forgot you drove Frankentruck back too.

;-)

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Stonepicker1 went from S Fla to Barstow to fetch a CUCV II driving a CUCV II. He eclipsed the 6000 mile mark on it.

Bighurt

I got you beat. The recovery of My M915-A1 took me on quite the adventure.

Minot, ND - Scotland SD
Scotland, SD - Sturtevant, WI
Sturtevant, WI - Dayton, OH
Dayton, OH - Leesburg, AL
Leesburg, AL - Chama, NM
Chama, NM - Salina, KS
Salina, KS - Stromsburg, NE
Stromsburg, NE - Fargo, ND
Fargo, ND - Minot, ND

4,913 miles

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can we count Westy's flying home from Butcrackistan to get his 915 from my place?

;-)

IsaLandr

Tartaned Goði
I don't know how many miles it is total, but I drove one of our M923s from Yakima WA, to Centralia WA, where it sat for a couple months while we went over it and prepared it for its new life. Then I took it up to Seattle WA, where it was loaded onto a barge and sailed to Anchorage or Valdez AK (I don't remember which), then my buddy up there picked it up and drove it to Fairbanks AK. It now lives on his family's farm outside Salcha AK. Seems like a pretty long ways, all told.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Can we count Westy's flying home from Butcrackistan to get his 915 from my place?

;-)
I must add, he flew in to Atlanta where no-one would pick him up, so he then flew to CVG where we picked him up and drove him BACK down to GA. Then to Cincy, Dayton, Tiro, & Wisconsin(with the worlds first ever civilian gps).

BWAAAAhahahahahahahahaha!

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
1800 miles round trip in two different trips. Out bound in a F350 both times and 1st return in a M929 and second in a M915A1. Note to self, roads in LA and MS SUCK.....

m715mike

1800 miles round trip in two different trips. Out bound in a F350 both times and 1st return in a M929 and second in a M915A1. Note to self, roads in LA and MS SUCK.....

I'll second that comment about the roads in LA (at least I-10). Picked-up my first Deuce in Lafayette and drove it 250 miles home. There was no cushion on the driver's seat. I lost my rear end on I-10 that day.