• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

look for a whole new truck come monday:

Monster Man

my 18 cans of Olive Semi Gloss 24087 just showed up and I'm-a-gonna be paintin' this weekend (weather permitting!). [thumbzup]

I know it might not be enough to do the whole thing, but I can save the interior for later and the undercarriage will all be black, I think it looks better. The bed floor is already POR-15'd. The cargo racks I am going to get all new wood for and stain it, not paint it. I already knocked out three wheels with one can, another can for the other three, and use the rest sparingly.

will paint the winter front canvas Olive Drab, along with the vinyl top to make it look like canvas. Eventually I'd like a real canvas top, mostly cause I like the smell :lol: , or just cover this in canvas for extra insulation? Worth a try

I was originally going to go Forest green, but after seeing Fred's IMMACULATE M37 radio truck again I decided to bite his style and go Semi gloss for a more vintage look. Can't wait!!!!

mtnrebel

hey M-M, wonder if beechwood canvas works, i think it is, makes canvas tops for the deuce? i just thought bout that. i would like a canvas top, too. it would match my canvas cargo cover. i need to find that out!!!!!!!!!

twinfiftys

MM,
When your ready for your canvas top try A-C-I Used Parts and Equipment in Sparks. Talk to Gene, he rebuilds M35s and has access to lots of parts. I bought a new canves top from him last fall. From our conversations on the phone he has a bone yard south of town somewhere, and a shop in town. His phone number is 775-359-2760.

Kaiserjeeps

Monster man, I want to match my vinyl cargo cover camo. I would like a vinyl top some day. I currently have a canvas top. If you have the camo top and might be willing to trade, we could both hopefully get what we want. My top is in pretty good shape. It is not like new but still has lots of life left in it. I just treated it with canvak last fall so its waterproof. New life uses the same stuff. You can look it over in the shortening the 5 ton cargo cover to a 2.5 ton thread. I can get more pics if you are interested. You may prefer a new one. .... Don't hurt to ask.. Let me know what you think...

Monster Man

Kaiserjeeps said:
Monster man, I want to match my vinyl cargo cover camo. I would like a vinyl top some day. I currently have a canvas top. If you have the camo top and might be willing to trade, we could both hopefully get what we want. My top is in pretty good shape. It is not like new but still has lots of life left in it. I just treated it with canvak last fall so its waterproof. New life uses the same stuff. You can look it over in the shortening the 5 ton cargo cover to a 2.5 ton thread. I can get more pics if you are interested. You may prefer a new one. .... Don't hurt to ask.. Let me know what you think...
oh no!!! :freaked: didn't check back before painting it, sorry! It did turn out very well though, the olive looks just like the old color canvas, I'm thrilled! I ran out of Olive for the winter fornt though, so it looks odd. And it's a shame cause my vinyl top is new, but like I said I'm thrilled. I like the vinyl top cause it's so thick and of course waterproof, I don't like the plastic rear window though (and I scratched it taking it on/off :cry: ) Now that it's painted I probably won't be going canvas, cause I like the way it looks but I'll miss the smell [^]

Thanks for the tip on A-C-I, I had no idea, I'll definitely have to look them up, that's very cool, thanks

As you can tell in the pics it was an amazing weekend, the best I've had in god knows how long! We got her finished Saturday morning, took the top off, and went cruising, then did the stencils and went cruising again, and all day Sunday. Wow, it was gorgeous out, top down, no wind, just beautiful! I had no idea a deuce could be like our t-bucket, only slower. Just when I thought it couldn't get ANY cooler it goes and surprises me. After the paint job was like a whole new truck, we got more comments in two days than I've gotten on all my vehicles in the past ten years!!!! It was great, Everybody was doing double takes, I'm thrilled, it turned out perfect. Well, there are some blemishes, but as long as nobody else sees them that's fine :lol: Just gotta finsih up by painting the axles and springs, and finishing the floor and window open/holder bar thingies in the interior

I realized I should have posted in the member's rides section so here they are:

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/DotNetForum/default.aspx?f=66&m=13945

Deuce-bigalo

Very good job MM! Did you sand it first or just paint over the original paint? And, a curiousity - is that a mini glass pack you put on the stack? Or perhaps a cherry bomb? What's up with that stack? Also, is that a disc brake I saw on the rear axle??? Just observations and things that make you go hmmmmmmm....LOL

John

Monster Man

Deuce-bigalo said:
Very good job MM! Did you sand it first or just paint over the original paint? And, a curiousity - is that a mini glass pack you put on the stack? Or perhaps a cherry bomb? What's up with that stack? Also, is that a disc brake I saw on the rear axle??? Just observations and things that make you go hmmmmmmm....LOL

John
yup, you're correct, it's a bullet race muffler, about 16" long wleded into the top exhaust tip portion, then about 6" of extra length was left in. This really mellows the engine, it'll never be quiet, but it makes riding with the window down (or top) possible. The brake is a pinion parking brake (that I haven't finished rigging up yet), will provide better stopping power on hills (will be doubled up with driveshaft parking brake), and a backup braking system in case my air goes out (jeez, I'm really screwed if that happens so I hope I don't have to rely on it!).

I didn't sand because it's CARC painted, and I had absolutely no way I could sandblast it, nor the time, so I just washed it and went for it [^] The semi gloss is good at hiding bad bodywork, but not as good as flat, and not as good as if it were sprayed through a low pressure high volume gun. The aersol cans are less than ideal, but I'm lazy and cheap, what can I say? :yeah: