• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Look for the glass plunger inside the IP return fitting

ClockworkSkin

My truck has once again left me on the side of the road. I hadn't had it running in a couple of weeks but it started up without hesitation. A short drive to school ended short when the engine started to slow. I pressed the pedal down more and more to the point that it was floored. The truck was fighting just to stay running when I had it floored. Then, it roared back to life. It did this once or twice before I got to the parking lot. It died. I started it again, no problem. Parked. Came back to go home, it started up and I was on my way. 2 miles away, it did the slow down thing again, and died completely.

So far, I've bled the lines and replaced the fuel filter. My next step, I think, is to look for the glass plunger inside of the injector pump fuel returm fitting. I took the fitting off, and couldn't find the plunger. Could someone take a picture of this thing, or tell me more specifically where I find it?

On a side note, I did have water in the lines previously. I had to drain the fuel filter 3 or 4 times (the old filter, not the new one). I'm not sure if that could be causing the problems that I'm having now.

Thanks in advance.

acmunro

It's clear so its hard to see. I usually use carb cleaner with a nozzle to clean it out good it is spring loaded. Push it down and spray. You could try starting it with the return fitting out. I will leak fuel but should start right up. Good luck. What year is the truck ?

ClockworkSkin

My truck is an '84. Right now it's at a friends house (I got lucky and he lived near where it broke down). I'm going to swing by tomorrow and pull the hose and the return fitting. I'll try cleaing that out with carb cleaner and see where that gets me.

I did have the fitting off and I was able to push on the tip that is spring loaded. Would the glass part be obvious to me if that's what I was pushing on?

acmunro

It is pretty clear when it is clean if you were pushing on something inside the return line check valve it should be the clear ball. If the truck runs with the return check valve removed I would install the check valve but not the hose and try it. If it doesn run then the check valve is still blocked/stuck. If it runs with the return check valve installed connect the hose and if it stalls the return line may be plugged. At that point I would then again remove the hose and see if it runs. Good luck If it is continues to plug up the IP is going bad.

ClockworkSkin

It's alive!!

I re-bled the lines, added more fuel cleaned that return fitting.

I don't know. I think this truck is a test of my patience. I'm taking it to a bonfire/shoot out today, we'll see how it works.

stampy

OOOOOHHHHH! auaI mean I assumed from his avatar...but Ok...I am a big fan of changing out the square box filter on a CUCV and putting a spin on filter. Mine had some issues until I did this and now it is great. Good Luck!

acmunro

Yes I double checked before I originaly replyed because of the Avitar. He really didn't say what he was working on. I second the spin on filter(s). I just got done changing the filter to Injector Pump hose on one of my CUCV's. The truck was getting air in the fuel system so the other day I replaced the fuel hoses on the fuel tank around the bend to the front and at the fuel pump. Still wasn't starting quite right and I thought I had a oil leak (rear main) here it was the fuel hose to the IP and maybe it was just the clamp. Anyway it is replaced now. Using a 9/16" crowsfoot tubing wrench to remove the fitting in the IP is the easy way to replace that hose. I used to fight the hose clamp down in there - then cutting the old hose off and getting the new one on and the clamp tight again was a pain. Just removing the fitting and changing the hose out in the open is much easier.

stampy

:ditto: My biggest problem was when changing filter it took forever to prime...even when I filled the square filter (always made a mess too) Spin on is cheaper, easier and I don't miss the water sensor at all.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks