• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Look what i picked up today

Look what I bought today, I just took some picture of it . 1984 Chevy 6.2 motor out of a Chevy Dually. The turbo is out of a 1994 Chevy Truck 6.5 turbo . The turbo spins free and there is no end play. I think I bought it for a far price . I am so happy & can't wait to start working on it . The turbo is a GM4. Also where do I buy the filter for it ? In the 3rd picture the exhaust port, and where do I pick up the flange & coupler .

Attachments

cucv1833

Look what I bought today, I just took some picture of it . 1984 Chevy 6.2 motor out of a Chevy Dually. The turbo is out of a 1994 Chevy Truck 6.5 turbo . The turbo spins free and there is no end play. I think I bought it for a far price . I am so happy & can't wait to start working on it . The turbo is a GM4. Also where do I buy the filter for it ? In the 3rd picture the exhaust port, and where do I pick up the flange & coupler .

Nice. i have a cheap spectre air filter from autozone seems to work ok I use K&N on all my other machines. try a junk yard for that Flange and Coupler.
My buddy got 2 complete turbo setups from the junk yard for cheap. [thumbzup]

A

A/C Cages

April 1974 I remember that town of Xenia where you are from. My best friend didnt make it and I was on my way to his house when it hit. Tossed my car upside down into a church that we were driving by at the time.

As for the engine, looks like a great toy to play with there.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I lived in Dayton at the time, could never forget that destruction. My Oldest brother still lives in Xenia and whenever I get to OH, Im at his place! Nice acquirement on the engine!

A

A/C Cages

LOL I was living in Miamisburg at the time. Right behind the High School there.

By the way, Superchips makes a great tuner for that turbo engine set up.

No - no computer on your truck.

Hey 67_C-30 I found the turbo you told me to look for this setup look good to me . Also where can I purchase a flange and clamp for the exhaust to the turbo is something I can get at the muffler shop. What are my options for exhaust? SINGLE , DUAL WITH MUFFLER OR W/O MUFFLER I have no ideal.
Thanks Also should I put new thicker head gasket on.

67_C-30

Hey 67_C-30 I found the turbo you told me to look for this setup look good to me . Also where can I purchase a flange and clamp for the exhaust to the turbo is something I can get at the muffler shop. What are my options for exhaust? SINGLE , DUAL WITH MUFFLER OR W/O MUFFLER I have no ideal.
Thanks Also should I put new thicker head gasket on.
It really isn't a flange. The down pipe on a 6.5 turbo truck clamps directly to the turbo. I think I have a stock down pipe laying around, and if I do, I'll cut off the end and send it to you if you pay shipping. On the clamp, you can get from a Chevy dealer or even places like SS Diesel Supply, but they are stupid expensive, like $50 or so. Your best bet there would be to look on ebay or a salvage yard.

On the size, the biggest down pipes are are 3" and that's plenty, but don't go any smaller than 3". The 4"systems sound REALLY good, though!

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0c8Z078KIkY[/media]

67_C-30

Here's a great price on a bigger diameter downpipe and crossover pipe. If you crossover pipe is rusty, I would recommend replacing it. That are bad about burning through, and rusting inside and collasping because they are double walled. The 6.5TD downpipe will have to be modified to use on your truck, but so will a stock one.

95-98 CHEVY GMC TRUCK 6.5L TURBO DIESEL DOWN PIPE KIT - eBay (item 390243824755 end time Jan-21-11 14:52:45 PST)
Thanks for all the info . thats very helpful. Which way would you go ? I like all of them , Do you use a muffler on these units.

67_C-30

Thanks for all the info . thats very helpful. Which way would you go ? I like all of them , Do you use a muffler on these units.

I like 4" systems for the sound, but I used a 3" system on a service body truck I used to have, and it ran great. I didn't use a muffler on my dually. The turbo muflles a lot of sound and kinda acts as a muffler, and the 4" system I built mellows it a lot. I built a 4" rear housing for the turbo and ran 4" all the way back. Even before I ran the exhaust under the truck, it really wasn't that loud. The turbo screams with it the though, which I love!

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXhvZP9wryk[/media]

I like 4" systems for the sound, but I used a 3" system on a service body truck I used to have, and it ran great. I didn't use a muffler on my dually. The turbo muflles a lot of sound and kinda acts as a muffler, and the 4" system I built mellows it a lot. I built a 4" rear housing for the turbo and ran 4" all the way back. Even before I ran the exhaust under the truck, it really wasn't that loud. The turbo screams with it the though, which I love!

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXhvZP9wryk[/media]
So in that video, I see that turbo doesn't have the ring type flange, it just bolts up to the turbo corret? nice motor .