• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Look what the Deuce found!

Defendr200

Just to be clear this is my first mv and I've been having alot of fun trying to figure out how everything works. I "needed":twisted: to test the winch so I hooked it to a piece of metal I found over grown with weeds. You could only see a piece of it and I had no idea how big it was. The deuce performed amazingly and pulled it right out. Sorry no pics of the deuce pulling was too busy making sure I didn't break anything or kill somebody. Which leads me to my next question, what in the world is it? I got a few pictures of it and the chains hanging down look like some kind of ratchet system to pick something up. If this is not an appropriate topic or in violation of the rules let me know and I will delete it.

Attachments

Last edited:

chaplain

looks custom built , a single purpose vehicle used for that once in a blue moon purpose. Are you in the crude oil country? My guess would be that it is manufactured out of drill stem. do any of the pipe ends have threads?

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Hmmm...frame doesn't look heavy enough (to me) for a grader or logging thingy.

Don't have a friggin clue what it may be but it sure has sparked my interest!!

Can't really tell from the frame whether it's home made or custom built. I agree it is made to pick up "something" but I have no idea what or why.
Hope some of the other members may shed some light...cause I just gotta know!!!!!:-D

Defendr200

looks custom built , a single purpose vehicle used for that once in a blue moon purpose. Are you in the crude oil country? My guess would be that it is manufactured out of drill stem. do any of the pipe ends have threads?
No oil in this part of the country that I'm aware of although it would be nice to find some! Also there are no pipe ends that I can see.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Farmer type characters used things like that to transport implements to the field, namely a set of harrows. Sometimes they were pulled along with the implement. Good find. I'd like to have it for that purpose. Keep up the good work.

Lee in Alaska

Keith_J

Hay Rake.

Minus the rakes, of course. Back in the old days, fields were mowed with horse-drawn mowers which had shear-type blades, oscillating by action of a transmission that was driven off the wheels.

Once dry, a horse-drawn rake would form windrows and then human power used a pitch fork to load it on a wagon.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Are you folks blind??????

Ray Charles could identify that.:razz:

It's a doohicky transporter.........you hoist the doohicky up with a thingamabob and then secure it with a whatchamacallit. Attach it to the prime mover of your choice and go.

I thought there were some real rednecks on this site.....:roll:

powerhouseduece

Well there is a way to do some redneck carbon dating (without dating a coal miner, etc)

If it is held tougher with bailing wire, it is old. That is just prehistoric duct tape.
If it is held tougher with duct tape, possibly 1960's to the 1990's.
If it has zip ties on it then its newer then what you think. Cause that the "modern duct tape"

Other then that, I have not a clue of what it may be. Bomb carrier?

mikew

I don't know what it was, but the more important question is; What can you use it for now that you are the proud owner of "it"?

Mike Waldron

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If your location was anywhere near Roswell, New Mexico :tin hat:then I would logically and obviously date "IT" to precisely July 1947. Imported from the same planet that "the aliens" came from. And possibly functioned as a drop-away truck/carriage for take-off from our Earth's surface as their spacecraft lacked retractable landing gear:!: Need I say: "DUH":!:

Do you see any CROP CIRCLES????

Beerslayer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
At first glance I thought it was an old tow type road grader, they look a lot like that.

With the windlass in the center it is designed for lift and carry. As stated previous, it would work great for lifting and moving a harrow or disc from one field to the next. A lot of the older implement designs didn't have rubber transport tires, you just hookup and go.

I would have loved to have something like that in my farming days, we always winched the stuff up on a tilt bed trailer for transport, that apparatus would have been much easier and faster.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My first thought was a road grader or hay rake of some sort but now I'm leaning more towards something to haul implements out of the field.

Although I grew up in a small town it was named Farmersville for a reason. ;-)

sw

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks