• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Looked at a 1028...

kadetklapp

Found a CUCV 1028 locally on Craigslist. Went and looked at it today. This is the first time I've been able to climb all over one so I was pretty excited. Truck was an 84, converted to 12v, disconnected blackout lights, decent firestone tires, and a recent IP. Truck fired up after the light went out and idled great. Lots of power. Front end had some work done to it according to owner, and it has newer Warn hubs on it. However, the ends of the front axle were "wet" with oil for some reason. Not sure if its wheel bearings or what. Also had a fuel leak on the driver's side of the motor from I believe a return line. It was leaking pretty good too. Owner wasn't really worried about it.

Owner also told me that he had replaced the front pump and seal of the transmission due to a leak. He seemed pretty knowledgable, but trans work always makes me nervous. Rusted cab corners and rockers. Portion of drivers floor replaced due to rust. The truck also had 85,000 miles. Asking price was $3200 firm. What do the experts here think?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Paid $3500 for a rust free 1008. With the few issues is has, I'd offer a little less. Maybe start at $2700 and see where it goes.

that1028guy

I got my 84 1008 with 89k and it needs a rocker and a cab corner for 3k even. Talked him down from 35oo. Cash talks. But as soon as I found this forum, I have seen others in better shape for not alot more. Depends on how far you want to go to get one.

Bobbed4x4

Banned
Do the 1028's run more than the 1008's? I've been looking at getting a CUCV, and while I like the idea of the limited slip front diff on the 1028, I also like the idea of the stronger NP205 transfer case of the 1008.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do a search for M1028a3 on ebay. I have a totally rust free dually on right now. Reserve is 4K. If I didn't have to move next May I'd keep it.

acmunro

M1008

Do the 1028's run more than the 1008's? I've been looking at getting a CUCV, and while I like the idea of the limited slip front diff on the 1028, I also like the idea of the stronger NP205 transfer case of the 1008.
The M1008 does not have the NP205. It has a NP208 like the M1028. The M1028A1 should have a NP205 also the M1031 cab and chasis has the NP205 but is usually equiped with a contact maint body.

Last edited:

kadetklapp

The M1008 does not have the NP205. It has a NP208 like the M1028. The M1028A1 should have a NP205 also the M1031 cab and chasis has the NP205 but is usually equiped with a contact maint body.
For some reason I always thought the M1028 was a dually as the only other one here in town is a dually. The guy pointed out the differences while I was there. It was obvious that the truck was a 5/4 versus the M1008. Now I may be spoiled on 1028s only...

acmunro

The military considers the M1008 a 5/4 ton also. The M1028A2 and M1028A3 are single wheel trucks (M1028 ) converted in the military to Dual wheel trucks.

Last edited:

GoldComet6

If you're looking to do some research on MV prices, then I suggest you go to ebay and search the "completed listings". It will show you what vehicles have sold and for how much.

If you search with several keywords, you should find both types of trucks. Of course, you can create a favorite with all of them listed and save it. That'll be easier to pull up on a regular basis....trust me on that!!

You can see what the truck was worth to the people bidding, not just what the owner wanted for it when it was listed!!! Quite a few of the higher priced ones (overpriced?) just don't get any bids or meet the reserve price.

2cents

ABN173

I paid $3800 for my first M1009 (private sale) it had a 6" lift and HMMWV tires on it.
I also paid just over 2k for my M1008 off of GL.

I think if the guy has done all the work he claims your truck is worth the asking price.

When it comes to the 6k and higher prices you see from time to time the words "RUN AWAY" comes to mind. ........actually a few other choice words too. Oh and yes a M1008 is considered a 5/4 ton rating too, its the M1009's that are 3/4.

-Dale

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks