• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Looked at mule today

Jeeptj1

Well i looked at the mule today. This is the info off of the data tag so if anybody can tell me anything that it means i would appreciate it. Thanks
number 10225
delivery date 4-?-68
baifield
mfg 8736756
contract number DA-20-113-AMC-07129 (t) (myp)
apparantly it was a marine mule.

it has a battery and an alternator

thanks guys.

Jeeptj1

Well just from what i know about it and thats not much. Ithink its an a5. Was piled full of stuff so kind of hard to check anything out. Thats why i put the info on here. Thought maybe someone would be able to tell. Its not a big issue. We havent discussed money yet.

Jeeptj1

You seem to be quite knowledgeable so why dont you just tell me what i need to look for to distinguish the different models. If you cant then perhaps you dont know anymore about them than i do. Have a great day!

Landbarger

You seem to be quite knowledgeable so why dont you just tell me what i need to look for to distinguish the different models. If you cant then perhaps you dont know anymore about them than i do. Have a great day!
Just so you'll know, that graphic is frequently used as encouragement to feed the MV imagery fetish(es) of the membership here, and does not actually mean that people's questions are "worthless." In fact, it's very rare to see someone giving another member serious guff while using it.

As to your second sentence, I can almost assure you that I don't know anymore about the M274 series than you do...but then that's why your Mule thread caught my attention. I hope that you're able to bring it home with you that it turns out to be a gem. Having said that, pictures might actually help since, like lots of old vehicles, Mules seem to get a mixture of replacement parts as the years go by. I know that the only Mules that have ever been in my family were pieced together and had repro/NOS dataplates on them. Similarly, I spoke to microjeep (from this forum) at the Denton rally this year and his Mule is far more original but has an incorrect...well, I don't recall exactly what. I want to say it's an access panel to the right of the driver. Anyway, these are just a couple of reasons why pictures can be helpful in the research process. But none of this is why you should get that Mule. You should get it because 1) Mules are awesome and 2) this one sounds like it needs a good home.

Welcome to the forum. Lots of good people and experience here to help you out. Don't mind us onlookers. ;)

Jeeptj1

Im humbled by your remarks and as soon as i figure out how to post (hint help needed) i will post those i took. Thanks i am also the proud owner of an m38 but it appears this is a strictly mule forum?

You are right. It is piled full of "stuff".

Some of my initial observations - a hitch has been installed on the engine guard, the crankshaft pulley is not correct and looks like it has been "manufactured" to add another belt to drive the alternator, the engine cover is missing unless it is in that pile of "stuff" somewhere, the shift lever guard (handle) is not installed, but is present, not sure but questioning the wheels/tires.

Oh, and the recoiless is SWEET!!!!!

My opinion? The Recoiless is worth as much as the Mule.

Jeeptj1

Gunnut, thanks and a question. Ive been looking at the pulley and on others that i saw, the belt goes around the crank pulley, the alternator and something else. This one just goes around the crank and the alternator. Whats the other engine part it should be going around.

There are various ways to add an alternator to a Mule. With just a few exceptions (and this Mule is not one of them), alternators were not installed on Mules. Therefore, the "engineering" involved with the installation of the alternator was however they wanted to do it.

Most likely the other ones you saw were some type of "idler pulley" that was used to adjust the tension of the belt. I can't think of any other accessory you would drive with the belt - unless it had air conditioning - then it might have been the compressor. (joke) :-D

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks