• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

looking at 1993 m998 6.2 2000miles

giantdiver

Hello everyone! Looking at buying a 1993 Humvee with 2000 miles on it for $30k everything is pretty much new, hard top, x doors, high back mrap seats, forging kit, and in really clean condition. I've done some research on what they are going for and "I think" it's a good deal however not sure and looking for some pointers! I live in CA and I have confirmed that it has "on road" designation for any state. Seller is also throwing in 2wd transfer case. My ears are open and thanks! Greg

LouWon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok, from the devils advocate, looks good, many cosmetic upgrades, what about the mechanical aspect, I'm always weary when something is too clean, make certain that you do your due diligence, maybe bring a friend or get a second opinion from a qualified tech, or someone that has no interest. Remove a side marker , check if the light bulb socket are rusted.
I hate it when the engine compartment is too clean, you never know what you are going to get in a few hundred miles.
Has the unit been refurbished ?? if all new parts , then ok, but get under it and check for leaks or again if it's too clean, or all painted, ???
30K is a lot of money when you can buy a running unit with a road title for under 20K, 10K in upgrades goes a long way if you can do it yourself.

But, if it's turnkey and in great shape, then 30K is not too far fetched, specially if you can pay and go.
That was my 2 cents worth
Have fun

bachman502

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm not trying to sound negative. But 30k is a lot of money to spend on a no thrills truck. I would buy one at an auction, once the new cool factor wears off you can dump it and worse case scenario break even. Just my view on a hmmwv.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Red flags for me -

1) sellers that emphasize the odometer reading on military vehicles. They're either clueless themselves or engaged in deception. (The odometers on these vehicles get changed as often as you change underwear).

2)title status. This is almost certainly a GP auction truck that was sold with branded titling documents. Obviously they've been laundered. Without falling afoul of the rules, I'll say this is something you can do yourself, and for far less than $30k....

Based on your post, you've described a truck that would bring $15k-$25k at auction. Certainly the streamlined paperwork, and the ability to crawl all over it before purchase is worth something. I don't known that it's worth that much of a premium. (Personally, I think 20% is reasonable for all parties )

As for me, if I'm spending $30k on a hmmwv, it's going to have park and overdrive, a real slantback, and a functional gunring.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Some trucks for comparison -

Screenshot_2017-10-02-21-46-18.jpg

Screenshot_2017-10-02-21-47-01.jpg

Screenshot_2017-10-02-21-47-41.jpg

Screenshot_2017-10-02-21-53-17.jpg

Note that trucks most similar in cost are all of the heavier variant, and have 6.5 engines and overdrive transmission.

I limited myself to the ones with low odometer readings, although I don't believe the odometer reading on any of them...

I is important when looking at *sold* auction trucks to add 20% in buyers fees and taxes. Add another X amount for paperwork headache and the endless wait. (I suggest X is also 20%)

Personally if I had $30K or therebouts to throw at a hmmwv, it'd be that tan one pictured above...

Last edited:

giantdiver

Really appreciate everyones input and I have put this on hold for further review and I've spoken to a fella near to me at "retired war horses" and filled me in on the potential nightmare of getting this out of state hmmwv into CA. Easy to get caught up in a good looking rig! Well, back to looking! Thanks again everyone!

ODFever

Madness Takes Its Toll...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You're on the right track. You talked to Retired War Horses. He, in my humble and essentially useless opinion, is a priceless resource. If I lived in CA and wanted a HMMWV, I'd take every ounce of his advice. I'd seriously consider buying a truck from him. He'll give it the once-over at least twice. :)

Sintorion

Just because it has a street registration, doesn't mean that you can get the same registration in your name. If they won't guarantee you a refund if you can't register it, don't buy it.

dskupi01

Not sure if mentioned, i'd say trust no mileage on any hmmwv. Unlike cars, I think the military replaces speedo gauges without marking chassis.

giantdiver

Thanks for all the posts, still looking and would really like a slant back but most are still hovering around the $30k range and in "very good" condition with 6.5 NA but none with 4spd tranny which would be cool!

BLK HMMWV

Adding a 4 speed tranny to a slant back truck with a 6.5 is far easier then finding a complete slant back setup nowadays.
I doubt you will find many slant back trucks in Ca. for less then $30k . But that's just me.
As others have said RWH is a wealth of information and a great source for repair and restoration work.
Good luck with your quest.
BH

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks