• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Looking at 85 CUCV

pmw

I found a very clean 85 cucv truck with 49k miles. Sounds like it should be gotten cheap, but what is a good price. It runs and drives great with many new parts. It is very nice and appears original except it was painted white. It has the diesel and I am told that it is a 6.2L. Is that engine the original disposable diesel that everyone used to complain about or is that engine pretty good??

Thanks for any help...

papercu

chevy

disposable diesel
Well first time I heard it called that but GM used to have a 350 block (and 260?) that was used as a diesel engine that didn't work out very well (for various reasons) but the 6.2 was not it. Wayne

Armada

RE: chevy

Well first time I heard it called that but GM used to have a 350 block (and 260?) that was used as a diesel engine that didn't work out very well (for various reasons) but the 6.2 was not it. Wayne
Yeah, GM took a small block gasoline engine and converted it to diesel. Didn't stand up for obvious reasons. The 6.2's were a diesel designed engine from Detroit Diesel. They will last a long time as with anything else when properly maintained.

pmw

85 chevy

I didnt think that the 6.2L was junk, but I was not sure. Thanks for the input. When I drove this thing, I thought it seemed very sound.

CCATLETT1984

RE: 85 chevy

THE 350 DIESEL IS NOT, REPEAT NOT, A CONVERTED GAS ENGINE. None of the parts interchange. the only thing that is the same is the outer block casting. The main reason for all the 350diesel failures was very poor headgaskets, a simple switch to studs would fix that issue.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

True Chris, very true! There are still lots of them out there chugging along and making their owners very happy.

Armada

By 'converted' I didn't mean that they took the carb off a 350 and then added an ip. They worked with the engine design at hand to create a diesel. In this case, the small block. It was marginal at best to be a durable compression ignition engine. There were other issues than just head gasket failures that contributed to its 'bad rap'.
In the late 70's GM was gearing towards diesels dominating their product line. Especially fullsize passenger cars. One reason, it was a way to offset the rising fuel costs during that era. Remember when diesel fuel was a LOT cheaper than gasoline? Diesels had also dominated the European car market forever, 'So why not us?'. Well, GM's attempt at a diesel market share never took off. The consumer saw to that.
When the new cars were released with the diesel engines, the public disliked them for a number of reasons. Mechanical problems, the exhaust smell, the exhaust smoke (I remember putting the car in nuetral when someone would tailgate, stomping the accelerator a couple 3 times and fogging anyone behind with black soot), the rattling, knocking engine noise, the cold weather 'no starts', etc. All characteristics that are undesirable in any automobile, let alone a top-end luxury car.
GM finally got smart and gave the diesel engine contract to the experts, Detroit Diesel, but by then the damage had already been done. They ceased production with the 350 diesel engine in passenger cars and went to the DD 6.2L, a 'true' diesel engine design, and used them in the truck lines. Like Dodge using Cummins engines.
As with anything else, todays diesels have evolved immensly thanks to advancements in technology, manufacturing processes, etc., making them a cleaner burning, quieter, more efficient, durable, powerplant.

CCATLETT1984

yup, even the 6.2 has had some headgasket issues, but the current gaskets fix those issues.
the 6.2 suffers from heat cracks in the heads near the valve seats, not usually an issue and can be fixed with bronze inserts.
and also cracks near the main webs on the block, usual culprit is a bad harmonic damper.

there have been some reports of snapped crankshafts, these again are because of a bad harmonic damper.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Bad dampeners! Had one split a crank on a 6.2 before. I thnk GM remedied this issue with the 6.5 by putting 2 piece lower crank pulley with a vulcanized rubber link between them. I'd place a balancer high on the list of any new 6.2 purchases.

CCATLETT1984

some of the 6.2's had the dampened crank pulley as well. that was nothing new for the 6.5

I'm considering getting the new fluiddamper for mine in a year or two. the damper looks good on mine, but I'll be in there anyways putting the gear drive in for the cam.

cucvdailydriver

Buy it. You will never enjoy a vehicle as much as this slow running ugly neighbor hating beast. I am referring to the m1008 though. They are fun.

cucvdailydriver

My neighbors arent the problem here. My fellow drivers are, They tailgate me and honk when passing. I hate it, but what can I d0.

CCATLETT1984

the switchs to the left of the headlight. the far left one turns the blackout lights on/off, only if the other switch is in the down position. if the second from the left switch is in the up position the service lights (headlights, blinkers, running, brake lights) are turned on. if its set to the middle position all the lights are off.