• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Looking at 923's

joeM62

Well I've been seeing them on the auction in the past maybe one or two here
or there even seen one 931 that had a 400 cummins in it.

Bighurt

Well I've been seeing them on the auction in the past maybe one or two here
or there even seen one 931 that had a 400 cummins in it.
Had to be a custom job, the government never configured the M939 series with a NTC-400. I wouldn't trust GL descriptions.

joeM62

I don't trust GL either but I looked at the motors and they were a 400
and I was just trying to get some info on this thats all.

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think that's highly subjective. I can equip my M925 with super singles for less than a M925A1 goes for. Not to mention I got 10 brand new tires on the truck already so I can spread the super-single cost out a few years.

But if you are simply comparing A1's to A2's...A1's are the better deal.
This is something I've been interested in.

But what are all the differences in a A0 to a A1? I know the tires are 6x 1400x20s instead of 10x 1100x20s, but is the spare tire hoist/carrier/assy different as well to accomodate the larger tire? Are the fuel tanks different, or is that a A2 change?

Bighurt

This is something I've been interested in.

But what are all the differences in a A0 to a A1? I know the tires are 6x 1400x20s instead of 10x 1100x20s, but is the spare tire hoist/carrier/assy different as well to accomodate the larger tire? Are the fuel tanks different, or is that a A2 change?
According to TM the fuel tanks are identical between each series, IE M925, M925A, M925A all have the same tank size. In fact the nature of them all being in the same -10 means they are close enough to identical to justify one TM.

However as shown in the -10;

A2 has CITS

A0, A1, A2 all have different steering system capacities.

Speeds between A1 and A2 are equal, but different from A0 (tires size), tire inflation data is also different.

A1 and A2 are taller, tire size.

Weights are different amongst the models.

Engine systems are different for the A2, due to the 8.3L.

Air Brake system is slightly different on the A2.

M934A and A2 have a spare tire winch.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think that's highly subjective. I can equip my M925 with super singles for less than a M925A1 goes for. Not to mention I got 10 brand new tires on the truck already so I can spread the super-single cost out a few years.

But if you are simply comparing A1's to A2's...A1's are the better deal.
A couple of things...

Yes, I was suggesting that the OP look at A1s over A2s because I believe he suggested he was looking at A2s (unless I confused threads). Second, he may or may not have access to the rims and tires to convert to 1400s. The correct rims are not what I would call scarce, but they are not as plentiful as the HEMTT rims that came out a while back. If he wants to go with near new rubber and the right rims, those tires/rims usually bring $300 or so each from what I have seen. That is $1800 without a spare or $2100 with a spare. Now, if the M939A0 has G177s on it and they are nice, they can be sold to recoup some of the money as you suggested. Let us know how much you can get good tires on the right rims for if you can get them for less than I stated above. I might be interested in a set.

joeM62

Joe.....are you confusing the M915/916/920 (400 Cummins) with the 900 series 5 tons which have a 250 Cummins?
No wreckerman I'm not confused and oh yah reason for no pics is didn't think much about it at the time if I knew fuse with someone about the subject I would have taking pics but I guess no one knows the answer
the the question of what I had asked the last one i had seen was last month
it was at a GA GL lot had the singles, CTIS it was tan and oh it had the 400 and it didn't look like a 250 in no way nice looking truck.

wsucougarx

Me too, me too. I am also on the hunt for a 923 or a 925. I'm opting for a A0 or an A1. There's just something about the NHC that I want. Plus I can do withouth the CTIS headache of the A2.

joeM62

Trying to get the point across is like farting in a wind storm with you all I
can tell you is to keep an eye out for any of the 900's 5ton and you will see one.

Blind Driver

Make sure you have an A Class CDL to drive it because it is all air brake
Only a class B with airbrake endorsement is required. Unless it's just a parade/show truck.

Thanks to everyone. Not 100% sure about the CDL but I drive a Kenworth straight truck with air brakes and don't have a CDL. I'll look into it. QUOTE]

See above. Is this your truck or a company truck?

I did a ton of digging on the subject and asked 10 people, and got 10 different answers before I bought mine. I titled mine under 26,000# (used a very knowledgable/ reputable title service to do the leg work for me) and it's registered/used as a private and collectors vehicle only. There is an exception in CDL mandates for airbrakes and military/collectors/ recreational vehicles as long as you are going to an event or taking the truck in for service.... my 923 goes to a lot of "shows" 8) I also took the time to read and understand the CDL training guides out there on operating/servicing/inspecting air brakes because license or not you still don't want to run over a family in a Prius because there's a leak in the system somewhere.
The air brake endorment is just so you don't get into trouble. Under repeated braking, you'll drain the air tanks. I see many rookie drivers do that :razz:
Also, when under load going down a steep grade, you don't want to smoke the brakes. Saftey instruction will teach you how to stab the brakes so you don't overheat the shoes and drums. You also need to know how to tell if the brakes are out of adjustment and how to do a bleed down test.

I still think even a parade/show truck still should have to have the driver have a non-cdl air brake endorsement

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Blind Driver said:
M813A1 said:
Make sure you have an A Class CDL to drive it because it is all air brake
Only a class B with airbrake endorsement is required. Unless it's just a parade/show truck.

Thanks to everyone. Not 100% sure about the CDL but I drive a Kenworth straight truck with air brakes and don't have a CDL. I'll look into it.
See above. Is this your truck or a company truck?

mxbrian87 said:
I did a ton of digging on the subject and asked 10 people, and got 10 different answers before I bought mine. I titled mine under 26,000# (used a very knowledgable/ reputable title service to do the leg work for me) and it's registered/used as a private and collectors vehicle only. There is an exception in CDL mandates for airbrakes and military/collectors/ recreational vehicles as long as you are going to an event or taking the truck in for service.... my 923 goes to a lot of "shows" :cool: I also took the time to read and understand the CDL training guides out there on operating/servicing/inspecting air brakes because license or not you still don't want to run over a family in a Prius because there's a leak in the system somewhere.
The air brake endorment is just so you don't get into trouble. Under repeated braking, you'll drain the air tanks. I see many rookie drivers do that :razz:
Also, when under load going down a steep grade, you don't want to smoke the brakes. Saftey instruction will teach you how to stab the brakes so you don't overheat the shoes and drums. You also need to know how to tell if the brakes are out of adjustment and how to do a bleed down test.

I still think even a parade/show truck still should have to have the driver have a non-cdl air brake endorsement
Are you talking about Virginia, Oklahoma, or Indiana?

While safety is the same across the board, the laws vary by state.

Last edited: