• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Looking at a 1953 Deuce

redjordan

I have been looking for a while, and found a listing for a 1953 flatbed deuce. It is really cheap, $1500 but the ad says it runs and drives well. I am hoping it is not a gas motor, as I am really not interested in the gas trucks.

I am about to give the fellow a call, and suggestions on things to ask about? Major deal breakers?

Thanks guys!

Flyingvan911

It is probably a gasser. That's an early deuce. There are advantages to having a gasoline engine. It just depends on what you want to do with it. I am working with a guy up here in Winnipeg who owned a M135. He said he's very sorry he got rid of it.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
You are talking about a truck that is one year older than I am.

And as in my case a lot of things are going to be worn out, need replacing or just hard to find.

It would prob make a great restoration and parade vehicle but I would not count on it for a daily driver if that is what your are looking for.

If you want a truck that you can work like a rented mule get a newer multi-fuel.

Also the "flatbed" aspect leads me to believe that it has a non-military bed on it or that the original bed has been butchered.

Being a 1955 model does not necessarily mean it is a gasser......many older deuces went through upgrades to the multi.

If you go check it out make some pics and post them.....some of our experts can chime in on what you have discovered.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It could have been repowered with a multifuel. I had a '53 one time that had been rebuilt sometime in the late '80s. It was in as good of shape as you'll find so you never know until you go check it out.

G-Force

And as in my case a lot of things are going to be worn out, need replacing or just hard to find.

It would prob make a great restoration and parade vehicle but I would not count on it for a daily driver if that is what your are looking for.

If you want a truck that you can work like a rented mule get a newer multi-fuel.

Also the "flatbed" aspect leads me to believe that it has a non-military bed on it or that the original bed has been butchered.

Being a 1955 model does not necessarily mean it is a gasser......many older deuces went through upgrades to the multi.

If you go check it out make some pics and post them.....some of our experts can chime in on what you have discovered.
Sorry Wreckerman but I just gotta ask......not really sure if I wanna know but I just gotta ask.........Which parts are "Hard to Find??????rofl

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Being a 1955 model does not necessarily mean it is a gasser......many older deuces went through upgrades to the multi.quote]

As usual, you have missed the boat Sir!!! The man said it is a 1953...NOT 1923...which WOULD be a year older than you!!
And... where did you get 1955??? HUH??rofl

Gosh...I try to help the elderly keep on track on this site, but sometimes you just push the limits Wreckerman!!!

redjordan...that could even be an M211/M135...not an M35 series...might wanna check it out and post some pics before ya committ. Are you sure on the year model?

I would be hard pressed to pay more than 5-6 hundred bucks for a gasser deuce without the original bed....unless I needed specific parts it has....and known to be good...

Last edited:

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
there was a 58 duece for sale here local.. dont know if he still has it super nice shape 4000 .00 gas engine, auto, singled out 1100s

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
this one was a daily driver with super new like tires. and almost no rust anywhere. clear la title too. i didnt think that was high but i could be wrong... but it has been for sale a couple years

redjordan

Thanks for all the replies guys!! This forum is great!

I talked to the guy at length, am going to check it out this weekend. It has a multi fuel engine, but with no turbo. He said everything is fine on the truck, he was in a motorcycle accident and can no longer work on it. The water pump is on its way out, it has the 5 speed tranny with the single speed rear end. The truck came with no bed on it when he got it, so he made the flatbed on it. I would try to find a real bed for it, they can be had for under $500 around here I have been told. The truck has a new vinyl top he said and the brakes are solid, but may need to be adjusted.

I have attached one picture he sent. My only concern is the lack of turbo and the overall age of the truck. I know from my experience with other diesels that the ones without turbos are SLOW up the grades! How bad is adding a turbo to this beast and what is the availability like? or how bad are these trucks without the turbos?

The price is awesome, thats why it is so tempting. Asking $1500

I appreciate all the thoughts and help!

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The price is right. Demand a clear pic of the data plate and title. Compare them. Adding a turbo can be done easily and not too costly.