• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Looking at a 2200 mile recovery ! What would you take ?

m109a2

Right on Brother Rock the 2nd amendment a lot of people do not know that you can get your ccp in the sate of Virginia online an will be reciprocal with 28 sates.Al

jpg

I did one recovery where I brought an S10 pickup full of tools, parts, fluids, batteries, etc, with an empty tow dolly attached. I got to the recovery vehicle, serviced it, hooked the tow dolly to it, and towed my S10 home. At one point, I had to leave the recovery vehicle parked at a rest stop while I took the S10 for parts. It's like a boat or an RV towing a Dinghy. If you can get a 2" ball 25" high, the tow dollies are cheap to rent. And you can bring all the tools and gear you like.

TowDollyLarge.png

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well I'm right along your route and I have some nice, new tires if you need a set (although they're on standard LMTV rims). If you break down between Houston and El Paso let me know.
I'll come get you with towbars from El Paso the rest of the way home, for the actual cost of fuel. PM sent with contact info.

1951M1078

I did one recovery where I brought an S10 pickup full of tools, parts, fluids, batteries, etc, with an empty tow dolly attached. I got to the recovery vehicle, serviced it, hooked the tow dolly to it, and towed my S10 home. At one point, I had to leave the recovery vehicle parked at a rest stop while I took the S10 for parts. It's like a boat or an RV towing a Dinghy. If you can get a 2" ball 25" high, the tow dollies are cheap to rent. And you can bring all the tools and gear you like.

View attachment 625898

I have the F250 but its the fuel cost. I can fly cheaper .
And with the offer of help maybe I don't need any thing other a bike ? LOL

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter

View attachment 625898
Ive done similar quite a few times, except instead of a tow dolly, I just made milspec adapters for the front of the red truck and use the standard military medium towbar.

2200 miles though, that's "fly there and drive it home" distance. Risk it... most things you're likely to need can be bought at the time of need cheaper than shipping it.

I've done a bunch of these recoveries, some to unreasonable distances (4000miles drive distance).

For a 2200 mile recovery, you must have got the truck for $4400 less than a comparable truck closer.... (risk to benefit)

1951M1078

Its a fair price. But the miles on it is what pushed me to it. Only 850+-. Must have been a hanger queen. Or just not needed ?

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Its a fair price. But the miles on it is what pushed me to it. Only 850+-. Must have been a hanger queen. Or just not needed ?
Nonsense.

If you're selecting your truck based on the odometer....

The odometers were changed on all military trucks more often than you change underwear....

Edit -

List of trucks that have odometer readings reset to zero:

1)new trucks
2)fresh rebuilt trucks
3)trucks with broken odometers
4)trucks that were cannibalized for parts and then replaced with a new odometer
5)trucks that got a new paint job but nothing else at rebuild
6) any randomly selected truck at any randomly selected time

List of trucks showing higher miles:

1) trucks with high miles
2)fresh rebuild trucks
3) trucks with low miles with INOP odometer replaced with high mile odometer
4)any random truck at any random time

Odometer readings mean absolutely nothing.

In fact, if a seller is hyping his truck on the basis of a low odometer reading, I see that as a red flag because I wonder what else he's misrepresentating.

Last edited:

Artisan

This would probably be best addressed whereas YOU list
what you are going to bring and "we"? might suggest what
you are lacking...

Think about that brother.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In fact, if a seller is hyping his truck on the basis of a low odometer reading, I see that as a red flag because I wonder what else he's misrepresentating.
I can honestly say I've met people who bought a truck off of GL with a low odometer and thought that was accurate. They ignored obvious signs of wear, like a brake pedal pad that was worn paper thin, and just couldn't believe it wasn't true. I could see them selling it as such and not intentionally misrepresenting it.

However, I've been around the military and military vehicles long enough not to trust gauges whether odometer or fuel.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This would probably be best addressed whereas YOU list
what you are going to bring and "we"? might suggest what
you are lacking...

Think about that brother.
This is like a survivalist scenario. You can easily fill a 53' trailer with things that might be needed... and then you can easily find enough things left out to fill another 53' trailer.

This is a running driving truck bought from a knowledgeable private seller who knows that it is going to be driven 2200 miles. Roll the dice and risk it....

1951M1078

I know the general question is a little vague. Its more what tools that are more LMTV that would not be in a general tool box.(a good tool box)

So I will post my list and will work from their ?

Artisan

snip Roll the dice and risk it....

I did exactly that, but sometimes the smalls make a BIG difference.
Case and Point; WSUCOUGARX suggested to me that I bring a towel
to fend off leaks and windshield fog, I was SO GLAD I listened. Also
knowing how to do a COLAS test was invaluable! It is flat out STUPID
to hop into an Air brake vehicle w/o theory firmly set in your brain.
For that I grabbed a Class B licnse real quick. After that a knowledge
of how to jump a 24V vehicle and a pair of Slave Cables is VERY wise.
I brought 2-12V battery chargers and a long cord w/ splitter, just in case...

+ + + :)

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I did exactly that, but sometimes the smalls make a BIG difference.
Case and Point; WSUCOUGARX suggested to me that I bring a towel
to fend off leaks and windshield fog, I was SO GLAD I listened. Also
knowing how to do a COLAS test was invaluable! It is flat out STUPID
to hop into an Air brake vehicle w/o theory firmly set in your brain.
For that I grabbed a Class B licnse real quick. After that a knowledge
of how to jump a 24V vehicle and a pair of Slave Cables is VERY wise.
I brought 2-12V battery chargers and a long cord w/ splitter, just in case...

+ + + :)

:)

I'll counter this with....

I bought 2 new batteries and a battery charger and drove a truck with a nonfunctional charging system from indanapolis to Tucson by way of Waco TX, simply charging the batteries overnight in the hotel room.

If you bring everything you might possibly need, you'll spend more shipping it than you'll spend by buying new whatever you actually need at the time you need it.

If you're driving there, by all means load up the pickup with everything. But if you're flying there, bring some $$, inspect the truck, and then buy what you actually need right there on the spot.

The exception to this are tools specific to the military vehicles.

Edit-

Slave cables as an example. They're great to carry in an MV. But the OP is better served with 2 sets of civy jumper cables.. because anyone with a 24V military truck to slave him will likely have slave cables. ... whereas anyone who is actually there to jump him is probably driving a 12v civy vehicle...

Towels, spray bottle full of water, pliars, small set of wrenches, all of these are cheaper to buy in Florida than to ship to Florida from AZ.....

Last edited: