• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

looking at a deuce to buy

leprochaunking12

im looking at a deuce with 55k on it for sale in my area. (southwest PA) he wants 6500 for it. it comes with a custom hitch, winch, backup camera, 14.5x20 tires with about 50% tread, LED headlight and tail lights, states too many new parts to list, and its got the coveted "C" turbo. does this sound like a decent deal? the only thing that has me worried is the 55k miles on it. he didnt post the hours. i suspect he took pretty good care of it bythe way it looks. (in pictures at least). so what's your opinion? ive been looking for a while now and am debating on getting one through a private seller like this one and eastern surplus. eastern surplus sells a bone stock one with no goodies for 7500. no troop seats, no winch standard tires, etc. thank you for your replies.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
A. Disregard the mileage. 55,000 indicated means nothing. When the speedometer dies in service, Pvt. Snuffy goes down to the motorpool and pulls one off the shelf and installs it. Or cannibalizes a dead truck out in the field. Unless the current owner bought it form the service and it had all it's maintenance records since day one, he has no clue how many miles are actually on it. I don't even bother to look at mileage or list it when I'm selling one anymore.

B. I think we need to see some pictures in order to make a better judgement

C. Does he have pictures of the work or receipts for all the parts? I take pictures of all the work I do ( I got this idea from Joe Young, all you whippersnappers are too young to know who this was) so buyers will know the work was actually done.

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
[QUOTEC. Does he have pictures of the work or receipts for all the parts? I take pictures of all the work I do ( I got this idea from Joe Young, all you whippersnappers are too young to know who this was) so buyers will know the work was actually done.[/QUOTE]

Joe was a great guy. My first m35a2 came from him. Sorry not much help on your purchase . If your happy and the seller is happy it’s a good deal

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I hate to make a judgement just on a craigslist ad, but that looks okay to me. M44A3 rims (so they aren't homemade), not a homemade winch, C&C snorkel (I think, regardless, it's not made out of surplus plumbing parts), doesn't look like a rust bucket, factory correct winch (not some cobbled together nonsense), good hitch (not homemade), etc.

Is it an air shift transfer? He leaves that out and no pictures of the bottom of the dash.

I don't think his price is out of line.

Joe was a great guy. My first m35a2 came from him. Sorry not much help on your purchase .
I was interested in buying a truck he had and I called him and he spent 2+ hours on the phone with me and didn't put any pressure on me whatsoever. He sold it the next day (to someone else) but he was super helpful to me, who knew nothing about anything at the time.

Last edited:

fsearls92

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It looks like a nice truck from the pictures. The tires are old and those Michelin XL’s are known for dry rotting and letting go, so factor in some new tires from the get go The rims are a pricey upgrade they have stuck on it and will save you a good amount of cash to run singles properly. If it runs good and you are happy with it, I would jump on it.

SCM35A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks good to me, Id take her for a test drive & then make a decision. Not going to lie, the test drive is what sold me on mine lol.

leprochaunking12

Thank you all for your replies. I’m sorry about the craigslist ad. Should I remove it? Hopefully the test drive does smooth with no white smoke or rattling(other than normal of course).

Sephirothq

I took a look at the ad and will say the upgrades are quite a bonus.
to buy a winch and put it on a non winch truck is anywhere from $1000 - $1500
the tire / wheels are about $200 a piece. So that is at least $1200, I didn't see if there was a spare tire and wheel included or not
I know those LED Headlights were around $200 - $300 a set, not cheap if memory is correct
The backup camera is an add on not too much money $20 or so on Amazon
The trailer hitch is a stock on for a chevy truck I think a Curtis you can get those from a junk yard at about $20
Not sure on the snorkel price. I am going to say it isn't a full fording kit, maybe an additional $20.
So add that all up roughly $2500 or so in add ons

A stock truck in good shape should bring at least $4500 - $5000 in todays market.
So you are looking at $7000 and you don't need to do the labor.
So at $6500 you are a bit ahead.

Just so you know I am not the seller of that truck nor do I have anything to do with it. So the tin foil hats just sit down now.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks