• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Looking at a m1008 and have som questions,

dupont

I am looking at this:
86 Chevy cucv m1008 pickup 4 wheel drive 6.2 diesel 40k on the truck runs and. Drives its automatic trans the truck has an 8 inch lift on it with 33 in tires black in color.

He is asking 5000 which I feel is a little high.It needs a drop pitman arm which is like $100, he never got one when doing the lift. He doesnt have a way of sending me pics so i cant post any until I go see it. I was thinking of trading him my 89 mustang. Some questions i have:
Are these trucks reliable?
Are they ok to drive daily? (I know they go slow, but I only need to go 45mph- 50mph)
Whats the mpgs like? (I get unter 10 in my mustang)
Are they good off road? ( i had a jeep for offloading with 4:11 gears and lockers, wondering how this will compare)
Lastly, How much is it worth?
Thank you in advance for any help.

original

No these trucks are not reliable, unless you go through them thoroughly. I don't think they make good daily drivers, they ride rough and AC upgrades are expensive. You say you only need to go 45-50. I thought the same thing. I was wrong. Most of the time I crawl around town like a senior citizen, but there are times when you need to run with traffic and 45-50mph just won't cut it. I get around 16mpg in both my M1008's. They are good off road, but I consider off road to be a dirt road. The long wheel base will cause issues if you try to go into extreme situations, but it already has a lift so it wouldn't be so bad. It is worth what you want to pay. If you want a daily driver that you can take off road, I would look at some other options first. I love these trucks because they have military history and I remember them while in service. If you don't love the truck, don't buy it. If you want a cheaper M1008 without the lift, send me a PM and I will make you a better deal. Good luck, mate.

Barrman

It seems that if the pitman arm didn't get changed out, what else did not get done?

I would suggest you read through the CUCV forum and you will find dozens of threads asking the same question as you.

dupont

My mustang has no ac and I havent had to go over 50 yet in the past 3 moths Ive had it, I only drive it locally, it is my dd but i drive my other car if i go far. so those 2 things wont matter. I am somewhat surprised that they arent very reliable though.

dupont

I know, I like older vehicles though so anything i get is going to be early or pre 90's, I never have cars newer then 90s, Ive had: 85 cj7, 86 f150 , 89 mustang ect. compared to other similar year vehicles how reliable would you say they are?

They can be reliable, I have a buddy that drives his everyday of the week with no problems. It's like any older vehicle, you will have to show it some love and take care of upkeep. He gets between 18-24 mpg on overage.

Barrman

I also daily drive a 6.2 powered CUCV. So does my wife. However, I work on them a good bit and did extensive electrical, brake and fuel system work before putting them into service. Without a back up vehicle of some kind, I would suggest something newer.

chevyCUCV

I dd mine,
I have back up vehicles, and plenty of rides if need be.

You must thoroughly go through the truck, and even then things will still go wrong

Becareful my friend

I am looking at this:
86 Chevy cucv m1008 pickup 4 wheel drive 6.2 diesel 40k on the truck runs and. Drives its automatic trans the truck has an 8 inch lift on it with 33 in tires black in color.

He is asking 5000 which I feel is a little high.It needs a drop pitman arm which is like $100, he never got one when doing the lift. He doesnt have a way of sending me pics so i cant post any until I go see it. I was thinking of trading him my 89 mustang. Some questions i have:
Are these trucks reliable?
Are they ok to drive daily? (I know they go slow, but I only need to go 45mph- 50mph)
Whats the mpgs like? (I get unter 10 in my mustang)
Are they good off road? ( i had a jeep for offloading with 4:11 gears and lockers, wondering how this will compare)
Lastly, How much is it worth?
Thank you in advance for any help.
20+ year old vehicles are not reliable

As for being unreliable these trucks are no worse than a 1953 chevy truck in a barn.I drive mine daily i love it,However with that being said,Im going to agree with the members that say that with out a second vehicle i wouldnt own one.(I own 2 other trucks besides my m1008s)They are defintely a project.Dont get me wrong i love both my m1008s but in order to own these trucks you really need to know how to turn wrenchs and not mind getting dirty.These trucks in stock form are like turtles if you want to go fast stay with your mustang.If you want a great economical work horse with no frills then the m1008 is perfect.

Offroad its awesome,But be ready to do more maintaining of the axles if you play in the mud alot.I have only been stuck once they are tough trucks its hard to break them but keep in mind most of these trucks might be low mileage but they are prone to problems.Just like any other 25+year old truck.If you can stick with it they are fun to drive.Lots of patience and TLC.Good luck in what ever you do and the TMs are your friend along with the search on the site.Plus we are all here if you get stumped or have a serious question.

Last edited:

85CUCVtom

I definatly agree with having a second vehicle. I always have my fiance's car to get around in if it really hits the fan. I live in the city and taking the bus or riding my bike is no problem for me if the truck is down.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Please add your State to your location information. This is a site requirement.

trukhead

I thinks these trucks are fantastic truck but,...
If you can't turn a wrench....,
can't use search on this site for info on these trucks....,
you will be out in the dark with these trucks.

Do as CUCV search on this site for CUCV; transmission, electrical, charging, alternator, doghead mod, glowplug, IP, hard starting issues and read up on what the fo-shizzlle oon tha hizzzlle, heeezy in the skeeezy is with these trucks is.

I bought a bunch of these and have some mint running ones but 2 have cold starting issues and need diagnosis.

Get informed before you purchase one so when it acts up you are ready for it.2cents

rickf

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The one thing that has not been mentioned here yet is rust. Think rust, lots of rust. You are in NJ, think even more rust! Front fenders and inner fenders, rockers, door and door posts, rear quarter panels and tailgates. I didn't mention the floor because it is probably already an aluminum street sign.:shock: All of the panels are available but it is a lot of work and you will not be driving it during that time. Oh, and they are very noisy inside along with no radio or A/C. Killer heaters though.:shock: Wipers, no good.:(

Rick

Rick

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks