• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Looking at a M1009

edpdx

I am looking at a M1009. What are the watchwords here? What do I have to know about before making a decision to buy. I am not familiar with deisel engines. What should I check in the suspension and drive train?. What are the must have features?

Thanks... I need help before it gets snapped up.

Midnight Rider

I am looking at a M1009. What are the watchwords here? What do I have to know about before making a decision to buy. I am not familiar with deisel engines. What should I check in the suspension and drive train?. What are the must have features?

Thanks... I need help before it gets snapped up.
Look under the resource tabs for the manuals.
Search the forums, your questions have been answered numerous times.
If you're not familiar with diesels engines, it's not that big of deal actually. Don't crank it over right away, wait for the WAIT light to go out. Check for leaks, make sure it's got oil in the motor, check the radiator, look for leaks under the truck.

As for must have features, roflwell you're looking at the wrong vehicle. No radio, No AC, No power windows or locks. Top it off with this is a vehicle that is at least 25 years old now.

The amazing features you get with the 1009 is that it has 4 wheels, seats, heat, brakes, etc. This is a stripped down to the bone, bare essentials vehicle. If you want features, look at the civy version of the 1009.

Sorry if I'm coming off sounding harsh, that's not my intention.

Last edited:

edpdx

Well, I wouldn't say harsh- Heck, you dont know me. I may sound like a waana play Army guy since I am a new guy here. I am a 52 years old Army brat. My dad served 23 years and loved it, I loved it. I loved going on bases around the planet and crawling around artillery they had parked near the flagpoles and museums. I longed for access to the motor pool to crawl around in those jeeps and halftracks.
My dad gave me a pick-up he bought new in 73. It was a Chevy C20 RED.

sidefldrs.jpg

Here it is. You might be able to tell from the body lines that this is a 73 and not a mid eighties ride. It took months to locate the various accessories. Mixed my own OD paint to include with the bed liner I shot myself. I get lots of compliments from civilians that like the look- lots of sneers from people in the liberal enclaves I pass through- the M16 rack in the cab, when full, gets admiration and disdain in equal parts depending again on the political region I happen to be in.

I might have bought one of the M1008/09s a few years ago; but my 2WD had been getting me where I wanted to go. The last few years I have been drawing hunting tags to the high desert and the roads and access/ help are telling me it is time for a 4x4. I am not looking for a Luxury ride- my truck is nicer than a M1008; buts its no Escalade. I just don't know my way around the 24 volt diesel truck I'd like to own. So I am asking what I should take a hard look at. I'll look into other postings as you say. Just looking for new perspective on buying an unfamiliar vehicle.

This, and that it has all the military specific parts like the correct bumpers, starter and alternators. Antennae mounts are a plus. Make sure the drive shafts are straight. I assume the military likes to move DRMO trucks with forklifts because I have seen a lot of CUCV's with bent drive shafts on GL.

edpdx

OK, I bought one yesterday. It is an 85 M1009. I shocked the guy by having a flashlight and the cajones to drop and roll under the chassis for 5 minutes. I could not find any oil leaking- or signs that there had been an effort to conceal any. The drivelines and joints looked straight and sound. NO RUST ANYWHERE!

Engine compartment looked ok, to me- again no leaks. The windows are intact. The top did not show signs of torn seals. The brush guard is a little tweaked; but I have one on my pick-up that is nicer, I'll switch it out. The dash cap is shot from side-to-side- Standard Blazer/truck replacement?

Brakes are excellent. Dash lights all came on- and went off. Wiring under the dash looked great/tight. Interior looked pretty decent- door panels very solid. Driver seat has two tears. Mats pulled back- no rust. All windows crank smooth enough. The handle on the tailgate crank is messed-up, I think? Anyone install an electric crank?

Started right up, no smoke. Ran good for the 20 minutes I had it out. I offered $2500, he accepted. I think it is a good deal.

I have seen some posts on getting a temp gauge installed. I think that will be first on the list.

Now that I have it home is there anything I should have a closer look at before heading out on the road?

Midnight Rider

Dashpad is standard Blazer issue.

A couple of people have put power tailgate windows in. I'm looking doing that sometime.

Oh ya. nopics

Post up some pics!!!!:-D