• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Looking at a M38a1 Today

jeeplvr247

I am going to look at a '52 M38a1 today. The body is pretty rough and someone has added a roll bar and brush guard, I am guessing that it was a fire department at some point in its life. It runs and drives and I believe that it has the original drivetrain. I have had some dealings with CJs but this will be my first military jeep if I get it. How much is it worth running but with a bad body?

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
It all depends how much of the vehicle is there. They are usually missing all sorts of their stuff like the correct carb, shackles, pintle, top bows and hardware, correct wheels, jerry can mount, spare tire holder, etc.

However, if the body is trashed, even if everything is there I think I'd be hard pressed to pay more than maybe $1K for it.

Because if the tub is trashed, you either have to spend the rest of your life (metaphorically) fixing it or buy a repro tub, which isn't cheap and will drive down the vehicle's resale value post restoration.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks