• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Looking at a M923A2

MTMUDRUNNER

It is a 1990 BMY with 28000miles on it and 900+ hrs, starts and drives what do you think will be issues with it with that many miles which is not much, some I have seen only have half that but they are not close enough for me to get. From the vid it looks like it is in decent shape thanks for the help.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
With GL you get what you get and what you get is not always what you see. If it running and driving in the video and you can see all the dash gauges in operation then you are ahead of the game.

MTMUDRUNNER

With GL you get what you get and what you get is not always what you see. If it running and driving in the video and you can see all the dash gauges in operation then you are ahead of the game.
That is my biggest problem it shows it running and driving but they dont show the gauges when running, I have looked at others that it looks like the rpm's don't work so I wonder about the hr meter also.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is my biggest problem it shows it running and driving but they dont show the gauges when running, I have looked at others that it looks like the rpm's don't work so I wonder about the hr meter also.
The odometer and hour meter don't really mean anything in a MV , the government don't care if one breaks they grab another one off the shelf and it starts over.

MTMUDRUNNER

For the most part do they seem pretty well maintiained, does anyone have any nightmare stories where they picked one up that was running/driving and it was a 10ton boat anchor?

Scarecrow1

Without putting your hands on it or any of the trucks it's a crap shoot. I know guys who even go to the trouble to preview the trucks and still get a lemon some times. So all in all it's just the luck of the draw.............

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Without putting your hands on it or any of the trucks it's a crap shoot. I know guys who even go to the trouble to preview the trucks and still get a lemon some times. So all in all it's just the luck of the draw.............
What he said. Unless you go preview, or get someone to do so for you, ya pays your money and ya takes your chances. That being said the BMY Harsco trucks are pretty new and have less chances of having issues.

MTMUDRUNNER

What he said. Unless you go preview, or get someone to do so for you, ya pays your money and ya takes your chances. That being said the BMY Harsco trucks are pretty new and have less chances of having issues.
I had decent luck with a 1008 that I bought a while back, but this a 5ton is a little bigger and parts are probally a little more expensive. If anyone is around Hill AFB and has some spare time this week PM me, other than that I will see what it goes for and maby I'll pull the trigger.:beer: I would call GL for more info but I dont think they care all that much(could be wrong). I got a estimate on shipping so I should know what I will have in it to start with. If yall have any more info keep it comming.
Thanks

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I took the crapshoot on mine, but bid low, $3250 got her, Needs a lot of rust removal and repaint, but other than that and one tire wearing much faster than the rest and shaking at 55-60 MPH and resewing the top at the front and adjusting the idle speed It's all good. Mine had 29K+ on it.

MTMUDRUNNER

I took the crapshoot on mine, but bid low, $3250 got her, Needs a lot of rust removal and repaint, but other than that and one tire wearing much faster than the rest and shaking at 55-60 MPH and resewing the top at the front and adjusting the idle speed It's all good. Mine had 29K+ on it.
Thanks for the info, I will heed your advice on the bid, by the way nice shop.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My advise is to never bid on a truck you didn't inspect that you are not willing to loose the amount over scrap value you pay for it. IMO, if you can't afford that hit don't bid. That's the way I look at it every time I bid blind. I have bid (and won) trucks way over scrap value but I was willing to take the hit if it all goes south.

I'll admit I've been lucky and after awhile you kind of know what to look for but you can do some searching here and see some of the horror stories.

MTMUDRUNNER

My advise is to never bid on a truck you didn't inspect that you are not willing to loose the amount over scrap value you pay for it. IMO, if you can't afford that hit don't bid. That's the way I look at it every time I bid blind. I have bid (and won) trucks way over scrap value but I was willing to take the hit if it all goes south.

I'll admit I've been lucky and after awhile you kind of know what to look for but you can do some searching here and see some of the horror stories.
Sound wisdom

For the most part do they seem pretty well maintiained, does anyone have any nightmare stories where they picked one up that was running/driving and it was a 10ton boat anchor?
Like Clint said, "Well p**k, do you feel lucky. Well do ya." Something like that, anyways, you are crazy if you do not go and preview the truck. You are rolling the dice without checking it out or having someone do it for you. Lots of people on this site have gotten burned in this way. Good luck.

John

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are many horror stories, but, understandably, guys don't advertise them much. You are MUCH more likely to hear the success stories. With that said, I definitely think the chances of success are far greater than ending up with a lemon. Inspecting is wise, as others have stated. Even if you can't touch it, getting a trusted source to put their eyes/hands on it is better than nothing. I have ended up with an anchor that I wish I had scrapped instead of fixing it up in hindsight. It was a 1971 M35A2...it needed tires and a new bed since it was rusty. I wanted to make it an A2C so the bed did not bother me. However, it needed other things that could not be discerned from the inspection: t-case, transmission, and head gasket (not leaking when I got it, but it failed soon thereafter), to name a few things. Has this scared me off? NO! But, you need to be aware of what could happen. These are auction trucks. Don't get carried away. Let the other guy have it if he wants it more. My $.02.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Iv'e bought trucks without inspecting. I have won runners and non-runners. A couple had major issues that the pictures didn't address. A hole in the block, missing transmissions and the best one was a bent frame. But I only bid scrap prices so I came out okay. And I have bid on ALOT of trucks.

Someting to think about. These are BIGBOY toys, with BIGBOY prices (aquisition, parts and repairs). Buying the truck is just the first step, if you can't afford the repairs you may not be able to afford the truck.

MTMUDRUNNER

I am still watching it, thanks for the all the input. I just need to stick to a number I feel good risking, whatever that number is I'm not sure yet.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks