• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Looking at a MUTT

jeeplvr247

I may be possibly looking a MUTT this Tuesday, it is an M151a1. This all came up really fast and I don't know nearly as much about the mutts as I do about the old willys. The seller said it was a half cut and that it has very minimal rust(just in the tool box). It is still 24v and has the original drive train. I have been frantically trying to acquaint myself with these vehicles in the limited time before I go up to see it.
What are some things to look for that have a major effect on value? I know it is better to find one that has not been cut but this one seems to be a good deal. It runs and drives and it comes with a trailer. The seller did not know the model of the trailer but he said it was made by willys.
Any tips would be helpful. If i get this, there will be many more questions to follow as I work on the restoration.

natem

Title.......Title........Title. Michigan has changed the rules for titling - if you don't have a valid title it is near impossable to get one.

Other than that read through the build threads in the MUTT fourm.

And rember it's not a sports car. Just one of the best off road vehicles out there.

Nate

mutt_kahuna

looking at an M151

I wouldnt overlook a 1/2 cut M151...heck I have one....BUT..it has to be a very good re-weld..normal 1/2 cuts were near the battery box area,make sure the re-weld is re-enforced along the cut section..I'd be leary of just a butt weld along the cut...bolt on stuff,engines and the like are relatively inexpensive so dont sweat if its missing bolt on stuff....also the M151's were prone to rust ...the suspension mount points,the under stucture (cross members),footwells,battery box,tool storage area...although they do make 'rust out' kits and new panels for these it's a pain replacing rusted out body sections...if its a real good deal AND titled AND not a major rust bucket AND seems structurally sound...GO FOR IT!

natem

I drove mine on trail rides and parades for 10 years and never had a problem. But it only takes one mistake. I was thinking about calling on that one, but I've had two time to move on.

Thke a look at "M151a1 some Assembly required" in the Mutt forum. It might give you some idea how these are put together.

mutt_kahuna

looking at an M151

That's half the battle with the title..check for the rust areas and the weld job and that sounds like a good project....as for the handling...the M151's and A1's had the same rear suspension...think early VW..on a higher speed turn the tendency was for the rear wheels to'tuck under'....I know of people that have modified the rear suspension mount to straighten the rear wheels and not be canted inward so much...my A2 has a completely different rear suspension design and I've never (knock wood) come close to rolling it.

Bill in VA

what do most people insure their mutts as? I was planning on getting an m38a1 which I just would have insured as a cj5.

I've got my MUTT insured as a MUTT. Hagerty's asked me for a make/model/year and I told the model was an M151A2. My VA registration lists the model as "M151A2" as well; the VA title lists the body style as "pick-up" though. When I asked why, I was told "'Jeep' is a manufacturer, not a body style or model." IMHO, I'd say list your M38A1's model number as "M38A1." Insurance companies generally don't like to pay out and will refuse a payout of cancel for even the slightest discrepancy.

Last edited:

rickf

I came in a little late but check out the G838.org site. It is M151 only. A lot of good info on there. Check the underneath very well. They rust out badly under there and they are unibody so no frame. If it is rotted on the rear crossmember then walk away. If the rest is rotted it can be repaired but it is a LOT of work and will have to be done before you can safely drive it.

Rick

jeeplvr247

It doesn't look like today will be the big day, I am still waiting on pictures to make sure all is well before a guzzle $100 in gas. The pics should be coming any time now, I will keep you guys posted.

Wile E. Coyote

I came in a little late but check out the G838.org site. It is M151 only. A lot of good info on there. Check the underneath very well. They rust out badly under there and they are unibody so no frame. If it is rotted on the rear crossmember then walk away.
To the original poster...spend all your time looking at the body. Get dirty...crawl underneath...dont be afraid to tap and poke and look with some REALLY good light. Be ultra suspicious of any new undercoating because it usually masks stuff the vendor doesn't want you to see. Pay attention to rust, rust, rust, rust...even if you do nothing else...and spend a *lot* of time underneath...95% of your appraisal of the vehicle. Consider working brakes and drivetrain to be a bonus.

Rear crossmember (the one just behind the seats underneath) is a bitch, as it doesn't come with the famed 'Large Rustout Kit' which you'll hear lots of people talk about. In fact, in the instructions that come with the Rust Out Kit made by AMG - they tell you to condem the whole body if that crossmember is rotted out.

But...if you have a lot of patience, skills and equipment (or a friend with same) you could fabricate all of that again if the rest of the vehicle body is sound. Generally - if that frame member is toast...it won't be the only one. One of mine was taken off the road because of rot there, and when I checked it out a bit further - there was a ton of rot in the rear as well. Thankfully the longitudinals are still good.

Pay close attention underneath where the longitudinals would've been cut and rewelded as that's a major structural deal. There are lots and lots of really bad weld jobs, checker plate jobs and even worse out there. One guy put wood in the frame channels and just ran bolts through both halves and put it back together that way with some sheet metal work upstairs!

$2500...hard to go wrong...even if the weld job isn't up to scratch there's nothing stopping you from recutting it and rewelding properly if the rest of the body is in decent shape -- especially if you get a title with it.

A2 was less tippy than the plain model and A1 model because they went from 'swing arm' VW type suspension to 'trailing arm' type with the A2s. The Army tried several mods on the plain model and A1 model vehicles to restrict suspension travel including welding on a length of chain each side. I've driven both models extensively (and an A2 for a daily driver for nearly 10 years) and only had a soiled shorts moment twice - both times with the straight M151 with the early suspension.

They're phenomenal vehicles - still my favourite 1/4 ton out of all of them...even foreign speedier things like the German and Canadian 'Iltis'. They ride beautifully - have a great turning circle - handle bumps and logging roads and worse without making you swallow your back teeth as with a solid axle vehicle -- and as long as you drive sanely and keep an eye on your rear suspension bushings...life is good.

Last edited:

natem

Well..................................I spoke with the seller this afternoon thinking maybe looking it over. Was told it has been sold to a fella in the Lake city area.

Sooooooo.........................are ya a member here?

jeeplvr247

Well..................................I spoke with the seller this afternoon thinking maybe looking it over. Was told it has been sold to a fella in the Lake city area.

Sooooooo.........................are ya a member here?
That could explain the lack of returned calls. Well you can't win them all I guess.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks