• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Looking at a truck on gl what do you think

Jermyjudge

I am looking at this truck on gl what do you think. I like that it has low hours and really like the paint skeem. My father was a truck driver in the air force when he was young so thought it would be extra cool to find an airforce
I know that this is useless without pictures but I can't figure out how to post a picture from my phone darn droid.

Last edited:

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
1. It is against the rules to post links or auction #'s for upcoming auctions. You need to save the pictures from the auction and upload them here and edit your post so as to not include the auction & lot #'s.

2. In order to upload pictures to the forum from a smartphone (iPhone, Android, etc.) you will need to have the Tapatalk app.

:D

RealCavDog

Welcome from Missouri, and see your a Show Me resident also ! AND your looking at a MOARNG truck to boot !

Just as well jump in with both feet ! And remember, it only gets worse ! Addictions are fun !

Truckoholic

From that pic alone, it looks pretty decent. Really if you are able it is of course best to go see it in person before bidding, because when these trucks sit for quite a while on these lots, parts tend to get stolen off of them. However, parts to these things are pretty readily available from multiple sources online, so missing parts really is not such a huge concern most of the time either. A blown up engine could possibly be your worst problem, but even that, I have seen those engine for sale for about $700.

So far I have gotten lucky, and both of the trucks I have bought from GL that I have gotten home so far (the third one I'm still waiting on the EUC paperwork) have only needed new batteries, and my M813 needed a new protection control box on the firewall because someone stole that. But I was able to order one of those online and had it within a week. Most of the time, these trucks are in pretty decent shape. They just simply reached their serviceable life span, and the government decided to park them. Many of them were running fine when parked, so all they really need is some new batteries, and some typical maintenance that a long term stored vehicle would need, and you are good to go and up and running!

And as others have said, typically I have seen trucks in that kind of condition, with a hard top and winch go for upper $2000's to mid $3000's. If you don't have to have the winch, you can get one for quite a bit cheaper a lot of the time. I really wanted one with a winch, and it took me a while to score one within my price range.

But yeah, it is a very addictive hobby, so if you are the kind of person to get addicted to things, plan on expanding your driveway real soon:p

Atomic

JJ,
Don't get fooled by the paint scheme. Yeah its got a winch and hard top(puke on a hard top) but the real beauty of this hobby is that you can change it cheaply. If that truck goes for too much then get a different truck and go to Wally World and get 12 cans of spray paint and shoot it yourself. Then you will have paint job nobody else has. Pressure wash, then dry, then paint. Super easy.

I've seen a few auctions where the insane bidding starts because it has something unique like a different paint job. I saw that today and yes I clicked on it because the paint job stood out. If I sold these trucks for a living that truck would be out by the road because of the $20 in rattle can paint.

Be carefull and if you want it then by all means go for it.

Welcome form GA!! The big rally is in Oct here in GA. Seen if you can't swing by. Good fun and you will learn a lot. I did.

scrapdaddy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome Jermy , I'm right past you in Dittmer. Good luck bidding and if you want to come out and look one over , just let me know. I'm around the farm most days. Always remember it's a hobby, so don't panic if you don't get this one, there will be more.

Dave08

Welcome from Florida! Just a little advise that you can take or leave. The trucks all look nice. Pictures do not show everything but remember with patience and a lot of work and the right parts everything can be fixed; oh....did I also mention money. When bidding set a price that is at your maximum bid. Do not go over it as a result of getting caught up in the auction. Remember you will also have to recovery the vehicle which will cost as well. No matter if you are going to pick it up yourself or you pay a shipper to ship, it will cost so factor that in to your upper bid limit as well. Next piece of advise is to remember that there will always be another auction and another truck. The messages about the hard top and the winch are true, trucks configured that way, no matter the shape, seem to bring higher prices. I will tell you that the average price of a winch in "as removed" condition without the shaft and all the ancilllary parts goes for an even $1000. You can always purchase a hard top from numerous vendors. This needs to be factored in as well to the overall price that you are willing to bid. Now having said all that .....Have Fun and Good luck!
Dave08:razz: