• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Looking at bidding on my first vehicle and have a couple questions

theprepared_com

I'm looking at bidding on my first vehicle and have a few questions. First I'm looking at either picking up a M35 or a M109 from the Johnston / Camp Dodge, IA location. This is about 670 miles away from where I live in Cheyenne, WY. If the vehicle says that it was driven to the lot can I expect to drive it home? How hard are these vehicles to drive? Does anyone live in that area that may be able to come along and help out if needs be?

Thanks!

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
They are very easy to drive. My wife has driven a truck over 10 hours by herself! I would assume they could be driven out with some servicing and inspection. The batteries might be dead by now...no telling how long the truck has been sitting there. It could have been a couple of months or over a year...I've seen it both ways. However, given how many are coming out these days, I bet it has only been sitting a few months. I suggest you go to inspect. When you are there, write down the VIN #. You will need this if you want to get insurance and tags for your trip home...assuming you will try to get these. If you can afford it, getting the truck shipped to you is always preferable. It is better to learn about the truck in your driveway than on the side of the highway with a cop behind you and no tags on the truck. Good luck and keep us posted!

dittle

I previewed the last set that went on sale back in January. Some of the trucks started, some of the trucks had dead batteries; your standard mix and match of maintenance. The motor pool Sgt. said that the trucks (on the January sale anyway) that stated driven onto lot were in good enough mechanicial shape (minus dead batteries) to be driven off the base and down the interstate. Is that true for all trucks, odds are not 100% so you should do a preview if possible like Bkubu said.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In a perfect world preview everything. That being said, you're a long way away to just drop by and look things over. If you can find an SS member in the area odds are they'd be happy to go out and take a look for you. If not, get a copy of the TM for whatever vehicle you're buying and take that with you (including the driver's manual if you've never driven one). Read through it and then complete all of the PMCS before getting out on the highway. You don't want to be doing 50 and need to stop fast only to discover the brakes don't really work. I'd also stop after about the first 20 miles and check things over one more time to see if any new fountains have sprung a leak. I've driven a lot of vehicles a lot of miles on a hope and a prayer in my younger days (FL to ID in 72 hours with 3 flats) but have learned it's better to take the time while you're somewhere relatively comfortable than next to the road with semis going by you at 70.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks