• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Looking at buying a deuce!

3dAngus

Although I seriously doubt many people would check their oil drain plug or even expect it to fall out, I did the other day as I saw a drip of oil on it and upon closer inspection it appeared it was coming from the drain plug itself. I only got about 1/8 of a hard turn on it.

I'll be checking it pretty regular from now on. That happened to me off the river in Columbus, Ga. back in 1968 in a Triumph Spitfire. Not sure how long it was out when the engine went "POP".
Thought my Dad was going to kill me for sure. When he learned it was the drain plug, he didn't say a single word. Who woulda figured?

I'm guessing the price of the truck, whether it be worth $20K or $2K, is not the culprit in this case. Could happen to anybody.

BadMastard

Don't give up! Like motorcar says, could be as simple as bad fuel filters. If you have access to a shop, there really isn't much you can't do to fix these with hand tools and a little time. If your head isn't cracked, your motor is probably recoverable. I've seen these things running with a hole in the case where you can watch the pistons moving! If your fluids aren't mixing, it's probably something relatively simple to fix. You don't want to give up, you haven't even started having fun with it yet.

69GTOby

Thank you to everyone for all the feedback. What we have right not is a deuce we have about 3500 tied up in. We both love the truck and want it back on the road. I absolutely love driving the thing, even when it has a miss and dumps white smoke everywhere.,

We want to be really smart with our next move here. I think the truck was well worth the price, but the drain plug caused us some issues, at worst it caused us an engine. The drain plug falling out incident cost us quite a bit. We love the truck, but cannot afford to put a whole lot of money into it. We are both auto mechanics, so hopefully we can delve into this engine and get it running like it was.

Recap on what happened to it: Ran great, oil drain plug fell out, it stalled... New plug, oil, and batteries, and it started right up.

Now, for the symptoms we have following the incident: It smokes like a freight train after a few minutes of warming up, thick, white, eye-watering smoke. It runs like it did except for a part throttle hesitation and the smoke. Under full thorttle, it runs like it did before, just with tons of smoke. And ever since the drain plug incident it has made an intermittent, very loud, whining noise.

I was told that the noise was probably a main or rod bearing spinning due to the oil starvation. But, I was also told that the mechanical injection pump needs oil pressure to fire the fuel injectors, and that upon lack thereof, the pump and injectors would starve, heat up, and fail, dumping fuel and causing our current issue.

Here are the symptoms: slight part throttle hesitation/misfire, tons of white smoke after a couple minutes of warming up, loud intermittent whining noise at higher RPMs.

The oil is clean and full, it has a fresh full tank of diesel...

Please help us get this awesome piece of American history back on the road. I love it and will not see it go to waste!

Heath_h49008

White smoke typically means a head gasket.

Whole take out engines can be had for $400, giving you one to use for parts and learning.

Seriously, we need some pictures.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
When you hear hoof beats you think horses, not zebras. Leaned out engine but Heath is probably closer with everything that happened at once, head gasket. But, it is usually noticeable by smelling the exhaust. We still don't know what lunched my multifuel July 1st but odds are on the head gasket leading to other badness.

Good luck and welcome to the club. You know the one, Deuce with broke engine club. :)

69GTOby

Sorry for the delay!

What do you think? No interior pictures or under hood or under carriage pics yet.

Where can we get a complete running take out replacement engine? We have the 134 HP turbo multi engine. We are in Maryland.

There is a pretty big rust hole at the base of the exhaust stack. There was a lot of oil shooting out of it with the engine running. And once it is shut off, there is a puddle of oil. It was not doing that before, at least not so bad because we did not notice it. The turbo vanes feel tight with virtually no play. The engine runs good... It did not even smoke when we pulled it off the trailer when we got it home. But, we did not run it very long, so who knows.

69GTOby

Sorry for the delay!

What do you think? No interior pictures or under hood or under carriage pics yet.

Where can we get a complete running take out replacement engine? We have the 134 HP turbo multi engine. We are in Maryland.

There is a pretty big rust hole at the base of the exhaust stack. There was a lot of oil shooting out of it with the engine running. And once it is shut off, there is a puddle of oil. It was not doing that before, at least not so bad because we did not notice it. The turbo vanes feel tight with virtually no play. The engine runs good... It did not even smoke when we pulled it off the trailer when we got it home. But, we did not run it very long, so who knows.

BadMastard

Cool truck!. Hey, if you have a hole in your exhaust pipe, and oils coming out, and your turbo is stuck, you might have just toasted your turbo. Explains why it still runs relatively ok until hot, because it takes that long to start burning your oil!

69GTOby

Well, the turbo is not stuck. I removed the intake pipe and it spins freely without making noise. What I meant was that it has no play in it, as in bearing play. But, The intake pipe was fairly clean and oil free, so the oil must be coming from the turbo. Can I take it off and rebuild it with some new seals? I guess it blew the seals due to oil deprivation.

Or I'll just buy a complete used running engine for parts and swap the turbo over and see if that fixes everything. Where can I get one?

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have you downloaded the TM's yet ?
TM's for the Deuce

These 2 are for the multi-fuel engine
TM9-2320-361-34.pdf
TM9-2320-361-34P.pdf

I wouldn't worry about a cracked block unless you severly over heated it . A bad head gasket could ne the cause of the white smoke , Is it loosing coolant ? With a bad head gasket the cylinders can fill with anti-freeze while sitting and hydro-lock it this can bend the rods when cranking . You may want to pull the injectors before cranking it over after it sits a bit . Just a thought to prevent further damage

69GTOby

It just sat for a week. We had to leave it down in VA about 2 1/2 hrs. from home due to it smoking so bad. We went down and it started like immediately, and actually ran great pulling it onto the trailer to bring it home, only issue was we noticed oil shooting out of the base of the rusted stack and puddling under it. It fired right up and ran smoothly though. When we got it home to my friend's diesel shop, we drove it around the parking lot, in the daylight this time mind you... And it ran well, made plenty of power, you could hear the turbo whistling... it just had a bad air pump belt squeal, noisy generator, and bluish/white/gray smoke (always had the gray smoke - normal). We do not seem to have a coolant consumption issue. And with the engine running and the radiator cap off, there are no bubbles or geysers when revving the engine.

To those who mentioned the complete running take out engines for 400$, where can I get one?

Heath_h49008

Short answer... keep your eyes peeled for people parting out and make friends with local guys. Parts in this hobby are not well advertized outside of the big boys with big prices.

69GTOby

Guys, I have really good news! I located an engine nearby for 375$! It's brand new looking, still in it's original crate. We bought it and got it home - what an ordeal! Tire blew out on the U-Haul trailer... up all night, had to miss work the next day. It seems like our truck is surrounded by bad luck. Anyway, we swapped the turbo on from the new engine and our truck runs like a champ again! It's not a whistler, which we kind of miss the whistling, but no big deal. Turns out the turbo must have suffered from oil starvation from the oil drain plug incident and well that was luckily our only issue. And now we have a spare engine, which is great. Thanks to everyone for all the help thus far. I will create threads as needed as we start chipping away at this project. Great site here :)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks