• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Looking at getting a Deuce, how much did you get yours for?

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Got Mine and drove it home

Mine is a great truck that cost me $3050 from the St Julians VA GL site. Bought it before the 10% premium back in 2003. It had a low tire that once I started it up I used the air to fill it and it has not gone down since. I drove it home the 200 plus miles and it purred all the way and got good milage too around 13 MPG

Attachments

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I believe the 36's are the looong wheel based ones. The M35A2s are still in service but are departing fast. My command got rid of our last ones in late 2005. :cry:

littlebob

I got mine from GSA for $1210 because it was only ten miles from home. I'm in the process of rebuilding it cosmeticaly, and it only shows about 1500 on the odmometer from a rebuid in the late 80's I've already spent about the same on new parts, Brake parts, cab canves , batteries,seat covers and stuff. I figure I'll probabaly spend another $1500 before I get it close to what I want.

Attachments

houdel

OPCOM - Don't feel bad about spending $4500 for a good running truck with good cosmetics. I started out with $2750 for my truck from GL, am probably up to close to $4500 out of pocket, plus a lot more in sweat equity. All these $1500-$2500 trucks were great deals or steals. It all depends on where you live, if you are near Port Hueneme Ca or Fort Riley KS, you can get a good deal on a truck, other than that you are screwed like most of the rest of us. $4500 is cheap for a decent truck in MI!

rcadick - M36s are the long wheelbase version of the M35 - 190" wb vs 154" wb of a M35. As near as I can figure, all M36s are dropsides , none have troop seats, and all had 9:00-20 tires. The original gas engine models were M36s, the LDS427 multifuels were M36A1s, and the LDT465s were M36A2s. There was a missile carrier version with a "C" suffix - M36C, M36A1C, M36A2C. All were built in fairly limited quantities. The M35 series were built from 1950 to about 1987, with little changes other than conversion to mutifuel engine/OD trans in the 60s and turbos in the 70s.

houdel

OPCOM - Don't feel bad about spending $4500 for a good running truck with good cosmetics. I started out with $2750 for my truck from GL, am probably up to close to $4500 out of pocket, plus a lot more in sweat equity. All these $1500-$2500 trucks were great deals or steals. It all depends on where you live, if you are near Port Hueneme Ca or Fort Riley KS, you can get a good deal on a truck, other than that you are screwed like most of the rest of us. $4500 is cheap for a decent truck in MI!

rcadick - M36s are the long wheelbase version of the M35 - 190" wb vs 154" wb of a M35. As near as I can figure, all M36s are dropsides , none have troop seats, and all had 9:00-20 tires. The original gas engine models were M36s, the LDS427 multifuels were M36A1s, and the LDT465s were M36A2s. There was a missile carrier version with a "C" suffix - M36C, M36A1C, M36A2C. All were built in fairly limited quantities. The M35 series were built from 1950 to about 1987, with little changes other than conversion to mutifuel engine/OD trans in the 60s and turbos in the 70s.

YoungBill

duece cost

Got my M35A2 in 2002 from Xcess Surplus in Elizabeth PA. $4500 with full canvas and 700 hours and 17,000 miles decent paint and tires.

Bought a project one for the winch for $588 ( and $760 to ship) from GSA in PA and sold off some parts. It is in my nieghbors yard now running around with out the winch.

Billl in PA

pistolnut

RE: duece cost

I got mine from a guy who had bought several for the axles. When he found a couple of them would start and run, he couldn't bear to scrap them out. I paid $1500.00 for mine and drove it 150 miles home. Mine is pretty rough, but I got to raid the other parts trucks so I have good body panels and most everything else to fix it all up. I will have about $3000.00 in it I think by the time I have everything working and looking pretty good.

poppop

RE: duece cost

They have changed that somewhat. You get no SF 97 with the truck. When you get it home have any police officer complete a form T 22-B on the truck. Then you download an SF 97 request form from GL's site and send it in with the T 22-B and I think $65.00 and they will send it to you. You can get the T 22-b from your local tag office or I can fax you one if you send me a fax number. Every vehicle I have gotten from the government even with an SF 97, my tag office still required the T 22-B before they would apply for a title.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
houdel said:
OPCOM - Don't feel bad about spending $4500 for a good running truck with good cosmetics. ...
Oh no I feel happy about it, because I know it had a history of private ownership and some accountability as to what was good and bad with it. That is the value of the extra money, for I am not a gambler at those stakes! Therein lies the value. If I had the $ I would buy a unit from Clarke or another big company that rebuilds as needed and checks everything otherwise. They had some really sweet singled 5 tons with the big tires which any company with 15K to 'invest' would prudently buy. There's alot of peace of mind buying from someone on the BBS as well since we all know pretty much what is good/bad with our trucks and have drivien them enough for a shakedown cruise. For my own truck, I would not take less than $7500 (I say that now things could change) because of the peace of mind knowing the individual truck, and knowing it's up to a cross country drive (alternator ears and night flying dragons aside).

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There's Clarke, as for Jeff, I don't know if he has a website any more. He used to rent to the movie industry.

littlebob

The M36 is a longer wheelbase version. As far as I know thats the only difference. I got a rough m35a2 from GSA for $1210.00 and will probably spend
another$2k to 4k before Iget it the way I want it. I started with a rough one so I could finance the rebuild a couple of hundred dollars at a time.I'm at about 3k now and it's still in pieces. I had been looking at DEUCE's on GL for about 6mo when this one came up for auction about ten miles from the house on GSA.
littlebob

Ugg013

rcadick:

I got mine thru GL too. Winning bid was $2700.00, then add their extras. Had to have it towed off base (LONG STORY + it needed work). After new batteries and brake work, drove it 1400 miles home (it gets better mileage than my Durango). There was 4K miles on a DoD rebuild when I got it. Unfortunately, due to situations WAY beyond my control, it's now up for sale (see classifieds here). :cry: What really sucks is I know I'll never be able to replace it for what I'm asking, but I'm not gonna give it away (I'm tired of doin that :evil: ). I just want to break even (so the wife won't kill me, and maybe let me get a new vehicle when things get better).

Later
Ugg 8)

houdel

The site managers at GL are an inconsistent lot at best. Some sites make you tow your vehicle off the site, others could care less. When I picked up my truck, the only thing the site manager cared about was that I sign the invoice so he could get back to his nice warm office. As far as he was concerned, I could have done an in-frame engine rebuild and he wouldn't crap less!