• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Looking at the M35 in a different way

Barrman

You are correct about leave no trace. It didn't really matter in this case because we were on a privately owned ranch. The area we camped and drove through used to be a big Coastal patch. It has layed dormant for the past few years and to get it back to producing, will have to be root plowed for mesquite removal. The root plowing will be followed by re-sprigging. Both of which will change the land a lot. That will all happen next month.

As far as planning ahead. I had planned to drive the M715 pulling a M105. However, since we have had rain and we knew the area near the gate would probably get rutted. I knew I would get through ok, but not if everybody else would. I don't have a winch on the M715 yet, so I drove a M35 even though it would make a bigger foot print just to have the winch in case it was needed. Turns out that was a good choice.

Oh, pictures. I don't have a single one that doesn't have at least one Scout in it. BSA gets real touchy about pictures on the internet, so I won't post any.

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oh, pictures. I don't have a single one that doesn't have at least one Scout in it. BSA gets real touchy about pictures on the internet, so I won't post any.
I've never heard that before. I have thousands of pics up on my website (summer camps, hikes, etc) and our Pack/Troop have thousands more up on theirs. I should probably have the committee chairs look in to this. Thanks.

saddamsnightmare

January 27th, 2010.

:grd: Geez! Are we ever getting to be a touchy group anymore.... I kinda figure that the Boy Scouts are gonna benefit from the exposure to nature and to the military vehicle that hauled them in there. Yes, it might have been better to leave no tracks, but the reality of the matter is that most of East Texas is either sand, black earth, or some combination of the two, and often you can't walk through a field without leaving tracks. Often the mud sticks so well to your boots you look like some mud monster before you're outta the field.
If you want to leave no trace, and carry it to it's logical conclusion,I'd say take off 5/6th of the present population on the face of the earth and the earth would benefit beyond measure. Radical, maybe? Look up Robert Malthus in the 18th century, with the "Malthusian Theory" he predicted that either natural or artifical means would end up limiting the population on the face of the earth, and I suspect that it's gonna happen sooner then later....
Now, having had that minor rant get out, what can we do to encourage the Scouts and other youth groups, to benefit from the plethora of equipment most of us have, and rarely use for the public weal....???? It's a primo chance to garner positive press and perhaps counterbalance or cancel out those who look unfavorably upon the ex MV's.....
"Positive Waves, Moriarty, Always with the positive waves......"[thumbzup]

Cheers,

Kyle F. McGrogan:)

Barrman

We put some pictures on the public portion of the Scoutlander site and the local Council threw a fit. The pictures are all in the password only part of the site now. I never looked up the exact policy. Maybe it is just somebody in Austin that needs a life.

Green_gator

If you post photos of the scouts you are well served to have a release from the parents. Our pack has a blanket release signed by parents to allow us to post photos with the boys on our website. You can find a Talent release form for use with scouts here.
Resources
I would recommend that you have it signed by all the scout parents so that you do not run into any issues.

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Barrman/Green_gator - good points and I have shot emails to my committee chairs (pack/troop) so they can look into it. Give them something to do for their "hour a week". We might already be covered with signed releases. We may do things differently in SOCAL, I honestly don't know, but I'm glad it read about here so we can look into it.

:-D

Barrman

heh, heh, you wrote "hour a week." Between the Pack and the Troop I haven't spent less than 5 hours a week in years. That doesn't even count stuff like camp outs and other events that happen just about every other week it seems. Plus the week of work vacation time I spend going to summer camp each year.

We have something called "Report to State" here in Texas each year for the Scouts. Each Council has selected Scouts and Webelos tell the governor and legislature what they have done in the past year. A parade up Congress avenue in Austin to the Capital building is all part of the event. I flat towed the M35 Gasser behind the M35A2 whistler to the event, showed another leader how to drive the whistler and we carried about 60 people in the parade. We were grouped up with the LSMVPA which has about a dozen SS members among it ranks. I think we had 15 or so military vehicles there. This year we will probably have more.

At the Troop meeting last night, they asked if I would drive one of my trucks with them in it for the parade. I had to laugh as I told them the Pack already has both trucks reserved since they used them last year when the Troop didn't want to go.

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Luckily my pack is new and still fairly small. They are all new scouting familys so I stepped in as Cubmaster/adviser for at least a year until they get up to speed. They usually tag along on stuff the troop does. At our Christmas Light Parade we used the M105 as our float and put hay bales down the center of the deuce to stuff maximum people in. Probably had 35 people back there on the troop seats and bales.

They love hanging the Troop/Pack banners on the deuce where ever we go. I take it to as many events as I can.

TeamAL2.5

Glad to hear these scouting/mv stories! The jamboree will be here in St. Louis in the first week of June. our local chapter of the MVPA will be displaying at the event. With any luck i'll have my m35a2, the cucvII clone and an m818 in attendance. frankly when i was a scout i had no desire to go to a jamboree. lol now i cant wait for it to get here!

P.S. im a proud Eagle Scout at the ripe old age of 23 right now and might say that i probably learned more from scouting about life in general than from any other group or activity I've ever been involved in. [thumbzup] Be Prepared!

fasttruck

Reference blackout marker lights, especillay the ones facing the rear: If you see two its too far, four is just right, and eight is too late - especially if there is a white light under them. Brace for the collision !

TeamAL2.5

Here here TeamAL2.5. I too am an Eagle Scout and couldnt agree with you more. Is this the national Jamboree your talking about?
lol silly me i should have figured this out... The Greater Saint Louis Area Council is hosting an event called ScoutQuest 100. wich is more of a regional event. I thought something seemed funny when the speaker at my last Mid-America MVPA meeting said this was going to be the National Jamboree (held a fort A.P. Hill in Virginia...) Oh well it's still going to be fun roasting young minds with images of big green iron!!![thumbzup]

http://www.scoutquest100.org/

Barrman

I will have some this weekend when both M35's go to Austin for the annual Scout parade. I will just tell all the kids to look the other direction or something.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks