• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Looking at trading my muscle car addiction for something a little greener...

widescsi

I am heavily considering purchasing a M35A3. I am a little open to suggestions with going with a M35A2/M35A2C model but I'm concerned over parts availability if this vehicle gets used as a daily commuter a few times a week. I am in Northern California and realize that my measly class C license will not do so a class B license will be in my future. I have found a couple of insurance carriers that will insure the vehicle as a normal road truck so I do not have to worry about being told that I cannot use it for hauling a load.

My questions on this new found addiction are:
Is there anyone in the Northern California area that is willing to show their M35Axxx so that I can make certain I really do want to do this?

Second does anyone have any idea on what I should expect to pay for insurance. So far the quotes have been around 2K for a clean driving record individual in their mid thirties. Am I missing something on my shopping here or is this about right?

Finally, I am really considering purchasing it through auction just of the "experience" but I have not seen any A3's show up in California and only a few A2's. The closet sites I've seen were in Utah and Colorado. Are there any GL sites a little closer to home (Barstow, CA comes to mind) that get these trucks or am I going to need to find a way to get one from the Midwest or east coast?

Thank you for any input you guys and gals can provide.

Sean

SixSpeed

Banned
I'm concerned over parts availability if this vehicle gets used as a daily commuter a few times a week.
How far is your daily commute? I wouldn't be too concerned. They are tough trucks and if well looked after will prove to be very reliable. Most guys keep a couple spare parts around (Seals, belts, etc).

Not too familiar with the West Cost but Erik's Surplus isn't too far from you (7hs or so), ground shipping on parts would be the next day if you needed something: Erik's Military and Industrial Surplus - Military Vehicle Parts, Industrial and Military Surplus Electronics

Flyingvan911

The A2 is simpler and more pleantiful than the A3's. Most deuce parts aren't too hard to find. Deuces can squash zombies and muscle cars can't.

Search for insurance here on the site and you'll find lots of suggestions. Also look for registration/licensing suggestions.

GL is a pain in the butt, however, it is usually a good place to find a truck in reasonable shape for a relative bargain. You could save some money and buy one from someone who has already fixed it up and loved it. You'll spend conciderably more but you'll know the truck is in good shape.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
The A3 has the CAT engine in it.....any motor painted yaller is going to cost you big money when it breaks.
The Allison automatic is decent but more expensive to repair than a standard.
The A3 is slower on the road than an A2.
The comfort upgrades on the A3 (elec wipers, bettter heater, power steering) are great.
The A3 requires straight diesel.....no scrounging WMO, WVO or other flammable liquids for fuel.

I will stick with the A2 for simplicity and ease of maint.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is your concern parts availability or price. Some of the -A2 stuff needs to be purchased from a dealer but everything is available. Now if its price, I'd go -A2. The -A3 parts can get pricey. Trans work scares the heck out of me with the Allison.

Capt.Marion

I'd hazard that parts for the M35A2 are just as plentiful if not more plentiful than for the A3 based on the fact that there were about 10 to 20 times as many A2s manufactured and or upgraded than A3s made... (Deuce aficionados correct me here)

If you're concerned about getting an A2 and immediately having something crap out (i.e. old trans that has been beat to death suddenly gives out, etc...), get a truck from a private dealer. They'll take excellent care of you, and I know of at least one or two on this site in your area. For instance, I got my truck from a private owner with a brand new transmission and a very recent (mileage and time-wise) brake job, so...

Josh

For insurance try state farm. That quote seems pretty high, Im about 50 bucks a month for insurance, no mileage/hauling resrictions. And I'm a 22 year old with and AT FAULT wreck still on my record(gets droped in 6 months, cant wait to see how much my insurance will drop). As for a daily driver. I put just shy of 7000 miles on mine in a year, and enjoyed almost every minute of it. As for parts, Ive changed the oil, replaced the belts, and fuel filters. No major break downs yet.(fingers crossed). So far this week, I've been doing an 82 mile round trip to work in the deuce, havnt had a problem.

Also if you going to DD this thing, Get a good set of radials, Im on my 3rd set of steer tires in 14 months of ownership and almost need a 4th set. Rears last longer though.

widescsi

OK, it sounds like parts for A2's are pretty easy to get through the surplus channel from responses. I am assuming that engine and tranny parts for the A3 will be easier to get through normal non-surplus channels since these were production parts in the civilian world. I'm also assuming that a little scrounging in the local truck junkyards could provide parts as well. I think this is a little easier avenue for me to go with. Overall I would accept that parts for A2's through surplus should be MUCH more plentiful just going off the stated production numbers via Wikipedia.
I noticed Josh's comment about a decent set of radials. Would the "stock" A3 wheels fit some normal truck road tires or would I need to find another set of wheels? I am kind of figuring that I would look at changing the tires as soon as I wear out what it comes with and road tires are probably a better bet as it will not see any serious off road use (think camping). I also put the comfort comments in with this as having some engine bay insulation makes a world of difference on any vehicle (muslcle car expierance here. A BB Chevy reving on the freeway has produced face melting moments more than once.)
It sounds like my first bit of insurance shopping is a little on the pricey side so I will do a little more shopping on this front.
Finally, for people that did or are purchasing stuff through GL. Has anyone seen trucks come out of California, say French Camp, Camp Parks or , Alameda? I've seen some items listed at these sites but so far no tucks.

trukhead

I am totally enjoying My M35A3 but.....

I don't know if I would care to use the Duece every day in on-road traffic. It cool and it's tough but It don't stop exactly on a dime, it has blind spots and please read the previous thread : deuce and 10,000 pounds

I use my duece on the farm in place of a 4 wheeler on the farm and i do majority of driving off-road around 1500 to 2300 rpms and carefully shift that nice transmission.

I will eventually license the truck and take it to town but I won't be hammerin down at top rpm's. I agree with other posters that cat's don't like that much revvin, although it has been said they are designed for it, remember the mil just replaced the engines as they saw fit and the cat has a 5 inch stroke. that is huge piston speed and wear. Try pricing a new Cat engine, Yikes!

I am writing an ongoing saga of drivin it in the testing forums as long as the powers that be see fit to keep the thread and I discuss the CTIS, which I thinks is the greatest thing since sliced bread but....

I just figured I'd keep the muscle cars and get me a M35A3, which I thiniks is the finest military machine ever devised in the UNIVERSE, however savor it like fine liquor, not MD 20-20, (i HAVE ENJOYED md 20-20).

I'd keep the cheapie commuter ride and get the duece and then enjoy the duece out there in those offroad places you guys have and maybe pismo beach.

[thumbzup]

trukhead

Took the M35A3 out tonight...

Took the M35A3 out tonight for another run tonight while passing thoughts of this thread came to mind and I thought I would not want to rely on driving this rig every day in comuter traffic because it is work and it would needlessly wear it out, BUT I sure would drive it off-road every day if I could.:D 2cents

I have realized this is a purpose driven vehicle with specific strong points and I will savor the driving time in it doing what it does best-operating as an off-road Cadillac with the performance of a thoroughbred! :soapbox:[thumbzup]:driver:

CTIS is workin fine!!!:cool: