• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Looking for a 2nd spare tire location...

AZK9

I've been trying to find a good, additional location for a spare tire on my 1970 M35A2.

I've been reading about how the deuce tends to be 'heavy in the front', so I've decided
not to mount one under the front bumper area.

I've taken measurements, under the bed and tailgate location and have thought about
mounting one there. It's a bit 'tight' and the tire does stick out past the tailgate a little.

Today I came across the deuce photo below. It's the first M35A2 I've seen with the spare
mounted in that location.

rear-sparetire-mv-mount.jpg

Has anyone done this type of mod? If so... any words of caution, or tips to think about?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions! [thumbzup]

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It looks like it would be pretty easy to rip that spare off the truck . If your running duels and a stock spare on the drivers side you got 5 spares . You can get by with 1 tire on the rear if need be.

AZK9

My main reason for the extra 'mounted' spare location would be to secure an additional
tire, closer to the ground, during my roadtrip from NJ to AZ. I've never planned to keep
a spare in the rear (as the photo shows) except maybe during a long 'highway' journey
similar to the one I'll be making this June.

I'll be carrying a total of 3 spares on the trip, but space in the bed is at a premium, so
I've been trying to find an additional, safe and effective, location elsewhere.

I agree it's not very nice looking, but if it would help me complete my 3000 mile mission,
I figure I can live with that! ;)

AZK9

Given the weight of a spare tire... and what seems to be an already 'heavy' front end, might it be dangerous
to mount one under my original winch? Keeping in mind that the winch already adds additional 'bumper weight'
#that a deuce without one does not have to worry about#.

My measurements and materials would allow it to be securely mounted there #clearance and bracket strength-wise#,
but my concern is how it might negatively impact my deuce as I drive it X-country.

Thoughts? :shrugs:

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
There were a couple of Navy deuces that came out years ago with the spare mounted like the picture i the rear, but I thought the mount was a little father forward.

AZK9

... I thought the mount was a little father forward.
It could be that whoever did the mod in the photo in post #1 put it more to the rear. I've tried to get accurate
measurements up under there and mine had the tire sticking about 12" (+, or -) out past the line of the tailgate.

I wonder how the Navy mounted those spares? Maybe they used a different tire winch. :shrugs:

I think I could make a mounting bracket to hold the spare a bit higher up near the bed, but I don't see a safe,
effective method for getting it up and down when needed in a roadside emergency situation.

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not a good idea for off roading having it on the back. If your truck has ten tires then I think one spare should do it. You can use one off the rear axles if you need to.
Just my 2 cent.

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Unless it's a catastrophic tire failure, take extra tubes and/or patches, chains, clip-on tire inflation, and the tools to dismount/remount a tire. Change or patch the tubes yourself. Doesn't sound like fun to me though, but it sounds better than a rear or front mounted spare.

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My main reason for the extra 'mounted' spare location would be to secure an additional
tire, closer to the ground, during my roadtrip from NJ to AZ. I've never planned to keep
a spare in the rear (as the photo shows) except maybe during a long 'highway' journey
similar to the one I'll be making this June.

I'll be carrying a total of 3 spares on the trip, but space in the bed is at a premium, so
I've been trying to find an additional, safe and effective, location elsewhere.

I agree it's not very nice looking, but if it would help me complete my 3000 mile mission,
I figure I can live with that! ;)

I drove my XM818 nearly 2800 miles from Nellis to the east one week pulling a trailer with only a single spare, never did have any tire problems.

Also another pic of a truck with the rear monted spare.

Attachments

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you need the spare wheel carrier/winch, have NOS complete units in the box. Rusty's M105 mod is real easy.

AZK9

I appreciate all of the posts and suggestions. [thumbzup]

I'm running out of time to do anything involving complicated builds or mods.

I'll find a way to work things out before I head out on my long trip. Thanks all!

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok, my original suggestion was going to be, "the spare is the last thing you load in the bed".

M275Fan

Why not fab a Spare tire carrier on the back of the bed and have it swing out of the way like on a jeep? It can be set up with a NOS winch to lower it to the round when in need.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks