• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Looking for a new engine. Any ideas?

85M1009_89K5

I just purchased an 85 m1009 about two weeks ago. I changed all the fluids, rotella oil, dex/merc trans fluid, dot5 brake etc. etc.

About a day later the starter went out, having spent all my money on buying, tagging, and doing regular maint. on the truck, i had to wait 5 days until the next payday. Got the new starter in, had a little trouble getting it started, but once it did start, it began knocking extremely loud. This happen about a week ago, I search online everywhere including here and diesel place to find out as much as I could about it. I removed each injector line to make sure it wasn't a stuck injector, with no luck. I had a mechanic friend of mine look at it, and he said it was most likely a thrown rod.

I'm in the army, and I will be PCSing (moving) in the next two months. I'm located in Huntsville Alabama, and i'm kinda in a bind. I would like to either get a running m1008 and swap that motor (and axles) in, or a 93 and older 6.5 engine. Any information leading to a good motor or any other help would be greatly appreciated.

85M1009_89K5

Are you PCSing to or from Alabama? I see CA location in Avatar, is that where you are going?
I'm originally from CA, but I'm PCSing from Alabama to (?) i haven't received orders yet, but most likely an airborne Infantry unit, probably Bragg or alaska...

I'll check out both of those. and search ebay/craigslist for more options.

idM1028

I think Boyce Equipment used to have used CUCV 6.2 diesels for around $950 minus alts and what-not. Looks like Eastern Surplus has some CUCV 6.2's. No idea on price, you'll have to call. Try to stay away from the Hummer 6.2's if you can. Same basic rotating assembly, but the oil pan, exhaust manifolds, and a whole bunch of other stuff is different. Worst comes to worse, you can trying taking out a AER loan to cover the costs if you decide to get a new engine.

Last edited:

85M1009_89K5

Thanks for the info, I got my travel pay from march (finally) last week and pick up hmmv 6.2... pretty much everything was different, but I was ok with it, gave me a chance to hit it with the parts washers and now, I KNOW all the gaskets are new, parts are clean, and everything is torqued to spec. Just got it dropped in, now just need to put the alt and power steering, fuel, oil, vacuum lines and it should be ready to roll by Friday (shop on post is only open from wed-sun). Not bad for an infantry guy, haha. Best I'd done before this was sparks plugs and wires on my 89' K5

I'll update it when I get it started back up, oh, just for the record, I had to change the oil pan, oil pick up, lift pump, belts and pulleys, all the sensors, glow plugs, coolant crossover, intake manifold, top of the injector pump, the throttle housing, and I'm sure there was something else... From my CUCV engine to the hmmv one, so I've got pretty much all the mentioned parts lying around if anyone needs them. I'm holding on to the old IP, glow plugs. And injectors though, anything else I should grab off of it while I've still got it? It threw a rod in 7. So idk how good it would be to have 7 "good" 100k mile pistons.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks