• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Looking for a new toy

galaxie428

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi All. About two months ago on my way home, I passed our local Chevy dealership and noticed this behemoth of an army truck sitting there. The M923A2. I turned around and went back to look at it. Luckily a salesman did not come out to greet me or I probably would have been driving it home for $11k and would have been looking for a new home! But it got me thinking, I would look good driving one of those.

I got on GL and they had several up for auction this week in Indianapolis which is only an hour away, I watched several of them and they went anywhere from $3900 up to $16k. In that mix was the M923 and the M925. $4k seems like a really good price for one of these trucks if they run and the site said they did.

I did not bid because I have not done enough research on them so I found this site and have been reading a lot of your helpful posts. I have some questions that I hope you can help me with.

Are these really 6x6? Do all six tires turn when the 6x6 is engaged?

What should I look out for when trying to located a truck? Are there common problems I should watch out for?

Is the top speed on these really only 60? How hard is it on them to run them at full speed? What kind of RPM’s is it running?

Are these trucks pretty reliable with the proper maintenance?

Thanks for your time answering any of my questions. I will keep reading and see if I can come across any of these myself.

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes you can't beat them. I was offered a pile of cash for mine and turn it down. 1984 M923AO

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
:tigger:

Welcome to the Green Iron Laughing Academy.:cookoo:

Just remember that the 5 tons may require a CDL in your state.

They can present challenges but if you do a lot of reading here most of your questions should be answered.

Maybe someone in your area will take you under their wing and show you the ropes on their truck.

I moved up to the 5 ton club (M927A2) and have never looked back.

Enjoy the madness.:jumpin:

74M35A2

My M925A2 runs 67mph on GPS stock at 2200rpm's. That can be turned up, but probably not safe to, as the tires are rated for 55. I'd recommend to buy one for sale from a member here, as it would likely be turn key ready to drive with little to no maintenance for at least a short while or longer. Auction has risk and reward. Buying from an individual, you can at least test drive it. You'll pay a little more, but if it prevents even one major repair, it may be worth it. The 6 wheel drive is selectable on and off via the front axle. Turning radius totally sucks, can't see backing directly behind, acceleration is slow, and gets more attention than a Ferrari loaded with naked models. You should own tools and have at least a medium level of mechanical aptitude with a desire to learn even more. The advice about CDL is sound, be sure to look in the section for personally owned, not commercial. At least in MI this made the difference as no CDL required. May want to check insurance first too for your state, and license plate requirements. Figure no more than 10mpg. Good luck.

Ford Mechanic

My M923A2 runs 72mph, it ran 65 before I turned the governer up. Acceleration gets better with turning up the pump up slightly. I 2nd the advice about buying one from a dealer or individual instead of GL, lots can be wrong with them that they won't tell you. Also the 8.3L cummins rocks, don't back up in low range, and do some reading on air brakes as they operate and drive differently than other vehicles.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome! I actually lived in Rushville from 1972-1974. Went to Havens Elementary (which I hear is an apartment building now) and was in 5th grade when they opened the new elementary school on the north side of town (of course that school is now 40 years old if it's still there).

I second the opinion to buy off the classifieds here. You get a known working truck and have someone to explain any deficiancies about the vehicle before you buy it. GL is an unknown quantity. They may say it runs but they won't GUANTEE that it runs when you go to pick it up. And maybe it RUNS but it'll only go in reverse. You'll pay a bit more here but you should be satisfied with what you buy. GL has nothing like that.

gem1410

There is an auction company on ebay that sells 5 tons--Their yard is near Philadelphia Pa--They guarantee everything they sell--prices range from 5k to 9k for M923-M923a1-M923a2--The company is called Bidadoo--look them up--you can get a good deal and not get burned--you can make offers on buy it now trucks and many times they go for it-----------I am not calling attention to anything for sale now but use this as another reference for trucks

Last edited:

galaxie428

Steel Soldiers Supporter
don't back up in low range
Can I ask why not to back up in low range? Is that because the 6x6 is engaged? I think I read that when in low, the 6x6 is engaged.

Welcome! I actually lived in Rushville from 1972-1974. Went to Havens Elementary (which I hear is an apartment building now) and was in 5th grade when they opened the new elementary school on the north side of town (of course that school is now 40 years old if it's still there).
I am not from here, I moved here from a town called Xenia, IL about 17 years ago. I have never heard anything about Havens Elementary school but like you said, that was a while ago. I was born in '72!

Thanks for the info Gem.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Backing up in reverse in low range can break the t-case. Make sure to read through at least the operators manual. All the various TM's can be found for 5tons here:

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/forumdisplay.php?115-5-ton-and-up-TMs

Also, when it comes to top speed. The main limiting factor on the M939 series is the tires. Most are rated only to 55mph. Couple this with tires that have sat often for years, sometimes flat, you've got a recipe for a blowout. Just something to consider.