• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Looking for a set of Hmmwv Doors for a carbon fiber mold.

hey guys if anyone has a set of x doors and or civil doors to make molds off of i will be more than happy to send back original doors as well as a set of carbon fiber door skins at cost if interested.

I'll cover shipping both ways and happy to sign a document for legal protection of lenders doors.

i will be cleaning up original doors and painting them so the mold will be perfect and will release. so the doors you send will be sent back in much better condition then when i get them. its a win win. thanks.

I'm finally getting around to my hmmwv builds and looking to make make all my own parts. i will be in need of some of these parts to build doors, roof, custom dash, and interior parts as well as rear hatch and more. my trucks will be published on my youtube page and can give a shoutout to those who help contribute.

once i make the carbon fiber door molds i will also be making half doors and powered window kits for them.

if anyone is interested in helping out please PM me or Shoot me a email
2020Autodesign@gmail.com
Thanks guys,
Andy

Ajax MD

In the sailing community, carbon fiber boats and components are pretty pricey.

What do you estimate that a set of your carbon fiber doors will cost?

Mills

I
hey guys if anyone has a set of x doors and or civil doors to make molds off of i will be more than happy to send back original doors as well as a set of carbon fiber door skins at cost if interested.

I'll cover shipping both ways and happy to sign a document for legal protection of lenders doors.

i will be cleaning up original doors and painting them so the mold will be perfect and will release. so the doors you send will be sent back in much better condition then when i get them. its a win win. thanks.

I'm finally getting around to my hmmwv builds and looking to make make all my own parts. i will be in need of some of these parts to build doors, roof, custom dash, and interior parts as well as rear hatch and more. my trucks will be published on my youtube page and can give a shoutout to those who help contribute.

once i make the carbon fiber door molds i will also be making half doors and powered window kits for them.

if anyone is interested in helping out please PM me or Shoot me a email
2020Autodesign@gmail.com
Thanks guys,
Andy
i’m curious of your offer. The big what if, “you &@“ my doors, no guarantees, recourse?
Chris

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Unless you live nearby the OP, I would be very cautious about this request. I would not give my doors.

So many pieces to lose during disassembly or put back wrong in re-assembly. So many things can happen. So many ways shippers can destroy the doors sending or receiving. So many ways the OP might think he is repairing and smoothing out your doors only to have them fall apart later. And if he "repairs" the doors, will he paint to match your current rig? If he makes plaster molds and they stick to your doors in the process, your door can be ripped apart.

I used to make molds and such, and it is finicky and dangerous to the initial pattern even when properly coated with a release agent. You pull things apart with wooden chisels or high pressure air jets, and they do damage. The release agents can change and/or discolor paint permanently, and can affect the way future paint adheres.

I think if the OP wants "X" door templates, he should buy a set of doors, make his molds, then recoupe his $ by selling the doors he bought and used as templates.

If this was my project, I would have the OP make plywood templates with improved window design, and them make his carbon fiber molds from them IMHO.

I wish to OP luck.

T

Carrera911

This is a really cool idea and it would be great to have some affordable aftermarket doors. A great alternative to the imo, cheesy aluminum doors with an rv window.

I don’t see the need for carbon fiber though. This isn’t a race car and the weight difference between carbon and glass can’t be more than 10lbs for a set of doors. Fiberglass is dirt cheap by comparison, you could do a whole set of doors with glass and epoxy resin for under 200 in materials. Fiberglass has better flex before cracking as well. Oh and it’s a lot easier to layup and work with. A visual carbon outer layer would be cool, but that’s really hard to pull off nicely and I’m not sure how many HUMVEE owners want visual carbon doors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

papakb

It could be even cooler if Malicious Motorsports would reply to their request. I sent a PM, sent an email, and left an email address post about this and nothing! I'm in San Jose and will be heading up to the MVCC meet in Plymouth in a few weeks but I guess they've either found some doors or had their computer crash.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Doesn't a request like this pop up every 6 months to a year, and nothing has ever come out of it because they finally realize it isn't cost effective, and there just isn't a big enough market?

BLK HMMWV

I think first gen doors had some Kevlar in them not just fiberglass.
Like others have probably said it's more then the door , it's all the other parts that make them expensive.
Back in the days when HMMWV's were rare and parts were plentiful I used to make half doors out of them.
I made a set of skins to put back on them even with the bottom of the window.
I have the perfect set of doors to use to make molds off of but I have no interest in making a copy of them.
They were a set of the 2nd gen version with the metal skins.
I stripped off all the metal years ago down to just the fiberglass/ Kevlar and was going to repair some of the finish around the windows.
and re-prime them and then mount the skins back on them and repaint them.
Now there worth more as full doors.
I let somebody take pictures and measurements of them years ago out here in So Cal. that was going to make molds but I don't think anything came to the market. At least I never saw anything.

acetm

It could be even cooler if Malicious Motorsports would reply to their request. I sent a PM, sent an email, and left an email address post about this and nothing! I'm in San Jose and will be heading up to the MVCC meet in Plymouth in a few weeks but I guess they've either found some doors or had their computer crash.
Plymouth 2020 has been canceled

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks