• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Looking for AF photos of M1008

USAFE Chicksands

I have a M1008 CUCV I'm restoring back to original Air Force markings. I was stationed at RAF Chicksands England and Vandenberg AFB California. None of us took photos of the markings displayed on the trucks back in the 80's. I'd enjoy seeing any photos of an Air Force CUCV with Marking s visible.IMG_8134.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know I have more CUCV pictures in my files somewhere, but these two show the way the USAF would have marked the vehicle. It hasn't changed much over the years.
The door markings for your CUCV would be applied in a similar manner as on the '69 Chevy. Tactical vehicles usually have the "For official use only" marking, but not always.

In the case of the 1008 in the picture, the 85K1373 translates as follows -
85 indicates the year the USAF took that vehicle onto its inventory. It is usually the vehicle manufacture year (the USAF rarely get second hand stuff!), but not necessarily (ie, if they took on a 1979 truck from the Army in 1983, it would be marked 83)

K means it is a tactical vehicle. B on the Chevy indicates a non-tactical vehicle, and there are some other codes for different uses.

1373 means this particular truck was the 1373rd vehicle added to the USAF inventory that year.

The USAF follows the standard US military practice for markings on the 383 camouflage - black markings on green or brown painted areas, green on black painted areas.
USAF markings are normally 2" stencils, except the 'official use', which is 1".

On this particular M1008, it appears that the 'US Air Force' and 'official use' on the tailgate are very small, maybe 1/2"? It also looks like it may have had different style markings painted out near the top of the tailgate.

Cheers

M1008 USAF 1.jpg1968 Chevy Pleiku 1971.jpg

Last edited:

USAFE Chicksands

I have a M1008 CUCV I'm restoring back to original Air Force markings. I was stationed at RAF Chicksands England and Vandenberg AFB California. None of us took photos of the markings displayed on the trucks back in the 80's. I'd enjoy seeing any photos of an Air Force CUCV with Marking s visible.
Great information, thank you. I pulled up a few pictures of patrol cars I drove and they are laid out as you've stated. That should do well for my truck.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks