• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Looking for an engine mechanic near Phoenix AZ please

2008 M1123

Pretty sure I've got a blown head gasket in my 2008 M1123 6.5 NA. Not sure I want to tackle an engine teardown right now with the work schedule so hectic. Does anybody know a good HMMWV mechanic near Phoenix AZ? Any help would be greatly appreciated. My apologies if I posted in the wrong section.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the forum!! hopefully someone here can help get you lined up, lots of folks here willing to help!

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
These are also marine engines. A good diesel mechanic is all you need.

2008 M1123

Thank you, Tobash. I did think about that also. I was hoping for a guy that was familiar with the HMMWV, but I guess there's nothing magical. I've been told that the motor/trans has to come out to do this right, is that your experience as well? I have a lot to learn.

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you, Tobash. I did think about that also. I was hoping for a guy that was familiar with the HMMWV, but I guess there's nothing magical. I've been told that the motor/trans has to come out to do this right, is that your experience as well? I have a lot to learn.
I don’t think you need to remove it to do it. If I ever do head gaskets I will do headstuds.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry, I have to ask, what makes you think the head gasket is blown?

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You will play hell getting those heads on in the truck!
EDIT, with studs in place.
I think you can put a majority of them in and put a zip tie around the stud and slide it in flush with the bottom of the head. I seen it on a truck and it worked out. Hopefully I will never have to find out.

2008 M1123

whole story: short trip, after which coolant reservoir is now showing completely full. I let it cool completely. opened reservoir and started motor, constant stream of bubbles in the coolant res. Capped res. and let heat up. Once hot, intermittently pushing out small amounts of coolant. Never acted like this before. I suspect it's just a tiny rupture at this point as I have no oil contamination and coolant isn't nasty yet. Doesn't overheat though, just pushing out a little coolant when the pressure gets high. I should add, reservoir, cap, hoses, radiator, thermostat all new.

2008 M1123

Thank you eaw46! I'll follow up today. Called quite a few Diesel shops and they don't want to work on the 6.2/6.5s any longer. They say quality parts are getting hard to come by and it makes it hard to back their warranty.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
whole story: short trip, after which coolant reservoir is now showing completely full. I let it cool completely. opened reservoir and started motor, constant stream of bubbles in the coolant res. Capped res. and let heat up. Once hot, intermittently pushing out small amounts of coolant. Never acted like this before. I suspect it's just a tiny rupture at this point as I have no oil contamination and coolant isn't nasty yet. Doesn't overheat though, just pushing out a little coolant when the pressure gets high. I should add, reservoir, cap, hoses, radiator, thermostat all new.
These things are also bad about cracking cylinders and of course heads, if it gets to the point they pull the heads make sure they find the problem.
I don't think I would even bother doing heads on a non GEP engine, I would try and source a good GEP replacement.

2008 M1123

I've pretty much gotten past the denial stage, wishing it might be some easy cheap fix and not a head gasket. There's just nothing else that would produce these symptoms that I know of. Now it's yarding out the mill and replacing. You (Mogman) referred to the GEP motor in post #13. This has a GEP 6.5 NA in it now (valve cover says so anyways), 4,600 original miles I believe, no iroan reference on the data plate. From everything I have read, the GEP motor might be a better candidate for rebuilding - less chance of cracked heads and block. I guess I won't know until I tear it down. What are your thoughts?

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've pretty much gotten past the denial stage, wishing it might be some easy cheap fix and not a head gasket. There's just nothing else that would produce these symptoms that I know of. Now it's yarding out the mill and replacing. You (Mogman) referred to the GEP motor in post #13. This has a GEP 6.5 NA in it now (valve cover says so anyways), 4,600 original miles I believe, no iroan reference on the data plate. From everything I have read, the GEP motor might be a better candidate for rebuilding - less chance of cracked heads and block. I guess I won't know until I tear it down. What are your thoughts?
The GEP is a much better engine than the original Detroit, much less likely a cracked block or head.
Question, does it bubble up through the reservoir when cold? if so and I was convinced it was a head gasket I would remove the rockers on each side and pressure up each cylinder and see if I could detect which side was bad, it does not sound bad enough yet to determine by simply doing a compression test.
Actually I would run it until it was obvious it had a blown head gasket but of course I am just weird.

2008 M1123

I am going to run it gingerly this weekend. There's so much flow in the reservoir, I can't tell anymore. Like a squirting hose in there. That's new too. I've warmed it up and cooled it off a couple times and fluid level has gone down a little, just not back to normal. Seems like I have to be on the throttle - basically driving to get it to act up. Still no visible oil or coolant contamination. Like you said, I'm going to run it until I know for sure.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks