• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Looking for Deuce connections in FL

Banshee365

Hey guy's, this is my first post. My name is Kelly Gerber and I live in Ocala, FL. I've been interested in Deuces for years because they fascinate me and I think it would be alot of good not only for farm work but a play truck. I met a guy in the Ocala area that has a security company and he had an awesome Deuce. I'm initially looking to buy one in FL so I don't have to have it trucked anywhere. I'm looking for a whistler with a winch preferably. Looking forward to meeting some new people that share the same interst that most people don't understand.

On another note. What are some reason's that I can use to convince my friends that disagree with me about why they are so cool. They'd known once they ride in it. Hope to talk to some of you soon.

-Kelly Gerber

bomar76

Welcome to the board, Kelly.
First off, I never give a rat's azz about what my friends may think of any of my purchases, so my advice is to do the same....works for me. I really don't want all my buddies driving deuces anyway...kinda takes away from the indivduality of it.
DOn't know of any FL sources for deuces, other than GL, but there always seem to be some on ebay from GA.

Banshee365

Thanks for the really quick reply, you're right about the friends opinions, forget them! What exactly is GL, I don't know what the abbreviation is for. I know there's a guy that's big into the stuff down south who I see alot of post's from on here.

-Kelly Gerber

FSBruva

Welcome to the forum, B365!!!!

About your buddies-
If they can't appreciate the deuce solely because it makes your heart skip to hear the whistler @ 2200 RPM.... then they're not really buddies. I mean, once I got my deuce, all my friends decorated my desk with balloons that said "It's a boy!!" and they all signed a card to that same effect. Then again, Coasties are a different breed, I suppose :)

GL = Government Liquidation = privatized solution to the auction process that used to be DRMO. Govliquidation.com. As you will find from reading on this site, the folks that are running GL are in the business to make money. This can lead to early auction pulls, as well as scavenging issues. However, that's not to say there aren't good deals to be had. More than a few people have had great luck with GL. The general advice is go and see it before you bid (if you can), and plan on not being able to drive it away. You know, "Plan for the worst" sorta thing.

Best advice.... just wait. You'd be surprised how good a deal a little bit of patience can get you.

Again, welcome to the site!!

Matt

ajtanker

I live in St Cloud. people at work are always asking me why own a deuce. you just have to own one to know why. I spent $40 this weekend on 12 gallons of diesel after moving sandbags. so it is getting expensive to operate a deuce these days.

Banshee365

Thanks again for the replies. It's something I've wanted to look into actually doing for a while now and I would like to keep a close eye out for a deal. Would be nice to get one in fairly good condition, running of course, that just needs a little fixing up.

-Kelly

Hookin1

The whole point here is, when you buy one you have no idea what your in for. there are good deals and there are bad deals. just remember because it looks real good dos'nt mean it is. I bought mine 600 miles away and all i ever saw was pictures till i went to pick it up.it made it home and everything worked. No matter where or from who you buy, you take a chance, but as youll find out most of the time the trucks are in good shape and only need minor repair items suck as wheel seals, wheel cylinders and such.

Banshee365

I'm fairly highly interested in this truck on eBay. Supposibly from what I've seen on this forum it's been on there several times: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1966...tegoryZ80765QQitemZ4583934287QQrdZ1#mainImage

What do yall think of that truck? I'm going to call him and make an offer today. The truck looks to be in great shape, not sure about the miles. I know that's not high at all for a normal vehicle for how is that for a Deuce? I also have a few other general questions about them. That one doesn't have a winch. I could really use one on the truck and was curious how much the parts would be to put one on. I've seen prices online for 1,000 or so for the 29k# but I'm not sure on what other pieces are needed as far as control's and such. Also how much do tires usually run, I'm sure they're not meant to last for long on the pavement. Thanks alot for the help again guy's, maybe this will go through if it's a good truck. It's well within driving distance. Looking forward to your replies.

-Kelly Gerber

Low-Tech-Redneck

If at all possible, don't buy without inspecting first, first-hand visual inpsection at the least, test drive at the most. It's easy to get carried away by all the excitement, just don't get so excited that you end up buying a six ton paperweight with no easy way to get it off the lot

There's fortunately still a lot of trucks out there, so you can afford to be picky and paitent without having them all bought out from under you. Heck, Dad and I turned down 2-3 possible trucks before finaly settling on ours.

Oh, and if you're friends aren't supportive of you right off the bat, you'll never win em' over. I suggest cultivating a more likely set of firends :D

bomar76

That truck has been on ebay a couple times w/ no takers.....and while it has new paint, I'd be REAL cautious about ithe truck....
The mileage/hours are pretty meaningless on these trucks...the dash clusters are swapped out all the time, and usually when another powerpack (engine, radiator and tranny) is installed.
My 2¢ is it's a $3000 truck tops.

Banshee365

I just talked to the guy and he seemed real knowledgable and down to earth. I'm not sure if anyone on this site has found problems with the truck but he said every single thing works and the only problem he came across with it is a seal in the rear end blew out when he was driving and he had to fix that. I would plan on sandblasting and painting the interior as it looks pretty poor. One thing I'm wandering with it being a 1966 is if it has the whistler turbo. That's one thing I alway's loved about the truck, gotta love that sound. If it has the whisper turbo how hard would it be to convert it? I think the C model of the engine is the whistler. Thanks again for the replies and keep anymore comments about that truck coming if you know something. Thanks.

-Kelly

mangus580

Honestly, if you are really interested in that truck, make arrangements and go look at it. You can get tons of pointers from guys here about what to look for and such. I wouldnt buy it sight unseen...... Not for that kind of money.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Banshee, I live in Atlanta, I can either go look at that truck for you or go with you.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks