• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Looking for Earth Red & Earth Yellow

Desert Deuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi,

I have been considering painting my truck in the 4 color MERDC Desert red camo. I can't find anyone carrying Earth Red-30117 or Earth Yellow-30257. I've found Sand-30277 and black.

My truck is curently in 4 color MERDC Desert Gray, If I repaint in desert gray I'll need Sand, Earth Yellow, Field Drab & Black. In this case I'll only need to find Earth Yellow.

I also like NATO camo as well but, would prefer to do one of the MERDC schemes.

Does anyone have any info on these colors? Where I might find them?

Take care,

Desert Deuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I spoke with Mark Dodd (Rapco) today. Unfortunately he does not carry earth red or earth yellow. He said the only option he knows of is Aervoe which he said is not UV stable.

I PM'd Bjorn last night as well because he uses earth yellow, his response is below:

Aervoe has the colors, but they don't stand up well in the sun, turn kind of pink.
What I couldn't get from Gilespie, I got from a local Sherwin Williams store. I brought a can of Aervoe (they do make accurate colors) and used it as a sample for the paint store to copy/blend in an oil based semi gloss.
Gillespie has the "Sand" and "Field Drab" that I use and Aervoe supplied the color sample for "Earth Yellow".

I'm leaning toward MERDC Desert Grey, I'm learning that the color my truck is now painted is somewhat rare (other than some others from the same outfit that recently sold at Pt. Hueneme). Area 52 has one as well.

Take care,

Dieselsmoke

Wow, I used to get those colors from him at the shows all the time. Must be downsizing. I agree with the statement about Aervoe, didn't last a few months before it turned pink on my old M1009, and even turned on some of the vehicles that were stored indoors.

red devils dude

hold on I need some earth yellow, let me make some calls see what I can come up with.
P.S. the Aervoe non UV stable thing looks to be from improper thinner use.

Desert Deuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I also spoke with the product manager, Kieran, at Aervoe today as well, they are aware of the issue and are curently running a series of tests to try to duplicate the problem. They have not been able to duplicate either in direct sunlight for months or under constant high intensitiy lights. I told them what I had heard as well. They want to know what colors were used as well as batch & code numbers. If any can provide this info, I will pass it on. They seem truely interested in working to fix their problem.

red devils dude

I'm waiting to hear back from Army Jeep Parts to see if they have Gillespie in earth yellow and I'm looking
for CARC in earth yellow if all else fails PPG has a line of paint they can mix to MIL STD color's.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Kevin,
The image below should give you an idea about the change to pink.
As you view the picture, the right edge of the bumper was sprayed at Aberdeen in May of 2004. The left side is from the Sherwin Williams blend painted a month earlier. A sample from a different Aervoe spray-can was used for the blend.
The picture was taken about 18 months after the paint was applied.
Images below are from the actual spray-can used, I still have it.

Note: The 5-ton filter is not attached, just tinkering. :)

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks