• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Looking for heater advice!

CowBoy101

Im new to the site and have been bouncing the idea around for awhile now to pick up a deuce! Well I finally decided to do it in the next few months. One of the problems I am seeing right off the bat is there are a lot of them out there without heaters! Im from Ohio and it gets cold here................ With that being said if someone can give me some info on what sites to pick up a heater from if the situation calls for it and what are some opinions on the different heaters? ( I kept reading that there is different types of heaters on here )

:confused:

135gmc

There are fuel-fired heaters, and hot water heaters. The fuel-fired heaters would be about right for the north slope of Alaska, plus they cost plenty. The hot water heaters are installed under the hood and do a decent job down to about 10 degrees or so, especially if you have a hard top on the truck. The basic hot water is about the same for every truck - the brackets, hoses, and defroster pieces change from vehicle to vehicle. You can usually find heater parts at a swap meet reasonably, but if you want a new heater, check with the surplus truck guys, like TNJ Murray, Eastern Surplus, or Erik's Surplus - don't forget to check the classifieds on SS as well.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are you trying to find a deuce on GL or buying from a private party? There are a lot of deuces around with heaters. When I picked up my first A2 a few years ago at Ft Indiantown Gap, PA, there were about 50 deuces on the lot. As I remember, I think everyone had a hot water heater installed. As 135gmc insinuated, a fuel fired heater will run you right out of the cab if it is not really really cold. When I was in the Army we had some multi-fuel heaters installed in deuces and five ton trucks while stationed in Germany. They were fantastic when it was extremely cold, but otherwise they weren't used much. I have two deuces, one with a hard top and one with an insulated soft top. In my opinion, the soft top deuce is just as warm inside the cab as the deuce with the hard top, both equipped with hot water heaters. Bottom line is that I would look for a deuce with a heater already installed to save the work, unless you find a really good deal or an exceptional truck. Hot water heaters are easy to find.

CowBoy101

srodocker this is what i put in mine works great[/QUOTE said:
Thats a great resourceful idea :)

Yeah Im already going to shell out some bucks for the truck and Im not ready to shell out between 500 to 1000 bucks for a heater ether lol. Maybe later if I decide to restore it! Thanks for the info guys! Every bit helps :)

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
One of the great ironies I have seen in the MV world is that every tactical vehicle I ever saw for sale in Florida had a heater in it. I bought three out of Indiana and ony one of them had a heater. Go figure.:cookoo:

You can go military or buy from a civy souce...JC Whitney used to sell a 24 volt one that would run you out of the cab in a blizzard.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
PM Lance Robertson or Ferro. They both have kits. I pieced one together and just the brass fittings and hose cost about $120. Your better off getting the complete kit.

If you get Lance's, tell him you want the 5ton diverter box too($20). I will buy it off you.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
One has the air come in from the driver's side when bolted to the firewall, the 5t comes in from the pass side when bolted up.

I got one of the jeep heaters srodocker recommended. It works great, but I had to disassemble/reassemble it so the discharge pointed towards the floor and not up into the dash. Bulkhead fittings to keep the rubber coolant hoses from running though holes cut in the firewall. Total cost was probably less than $150. I drive around in the wintertime, in Virginia, in jeans/t-shirt and am very comfortable.

Attachments

cbvet

The common Deuce hot water heater is mounted under the hood. Gets in the way, and pulls in outside air. My "arctic" Deuce came with the heater mounted inside the cab & under the dash on the passenger side. It heats & recirculates cab air. I drove 500 or so miles in a T shirt, in 20 degree weather.
I've mounted the heater in my second Deuce the same way. Works well even with the soft top.
Of course you do have to carry duct tape to patch miscellaneous holes :).
I may figure out a way to mount my M813 heater under the dash too.

SteveKuhn

I've seen a couple other threads noting the original heaters mounted completely in the cab.

The heater controls in most cars and light trucks have a selector to choose recirculating inside air or taking in fresh outside air. With either really hot or cold OATs, it can make a very big difference in either A/C or heat.

Deuces leak enough air to eliminate worry about cab atmosphere getting stale.

SteveKuhn

'Which Heater????' has been an open question for me as well. Besides the several military units and ways of mounting from the other threads, I've also looked at the Maradyne 8000 & 9000 civilian heaters. Boyce has the 8000 listed.

Back to the above: For the interior mount M35 unit, it helped me a lot to look at Photos of the 1967 Kaiser M35A2 for several photos to compare how the original parts translated to the above photo. Until I did that, I wasn't at all clear.

Apparently heat goes to driver's right foot and there is no defroster ducting in this truck, correct?

Also, I'm seeing that the M35 heaters are 30K BTU while the Jeep heaters are 20K BTU, correct?

Thanks.