• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Looking for help! Not sure we’re to go

Chris allen

Hello guys, new here, not sure were to go with this, well I’m from Ga an I work on a 830mb for a local farmer, well it’s a military 830mb that was retired from the military few yrs ago, so my friends purchased it to pull a Lawson chopper around threw the woods. Well with it haveing a military serial number no one can look it up at our local cat dealership, the serial prefix is 41E an it’s not a recognizable serial. We had looked online an purchased a parts book for a older 830m. (The early 830,s wasn’t hyd opperateing an had pony motors) the mb was the first hyd opperateing machine. When trying to use the military parts book to order parts numbers are not recognized threw cat dealers, I’ve heard yrs ago that there was a formula or something to interchange the military numbers to regular cat civilian numbers. Even the few machines I have found online that wasn’t military painted still had the 41E serial prefix. The motor is a D343. 485 hp cat. Serial number 41E878. Does anyone familiar with the machine or motor. Hopefully someone has a motor like this one and can share there serial number with me to help locate parts for the motorF8177288-80EF-4808-BE37-276A85512E57.jpegED11305E-A0E3-41F5-87B2-6D8800D63D97.jpegB8224F05-81C8-4860-9008-B74FED3C6C4D.jpeg7EF04D0E-8C3C-440E-A709-4A2A6F974AE9.jpeg

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The D343 might be very close to the same as what is in a similar era civilian 988 loader or 651 scraper, maybe Cat can help with parts for those machines. Do understand that Cat will have very limited availability of parts for 1960's machines, they want you to buy a new tractor!

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Hello guys, new here, not sure were to go with this, well I’m from Ga an I work on a 830mb for a local farmer, well it’s a military 830mb that was retired from the military few yrs ago, so my friends purchased it to pull a Lawson chopper around threw the woods. Well with it haveing a military serial number no one can look it up at our local cat dealership, the serial prefix is 41E an it’s not a recognizable serial. We had looked online an purchased a parts book for a older 830m. (The early 830,s wasn’t hyd opperateing an had pony motors) the mb was the first hyd opperateing machine. When trying to use the military parts book to order parts numbers are not recognized threw cat dealers, I’ve heard yrs ago that there was a formula or something to interchange the military numbers to regular cat civilian numbers. Even the few machines I have found online that wasn’t military painted still had the 41E serial prefix. The motor is a D343. 485 hp cat. Serial number 41E878. Does anyone familiar with the machine or motor. Hopefully someone has a motor like this one and can share there serial number with me to help locate parts for the motorView attachment 868347View attachment 868348View attachment 868349View attachment 868350
Hi @Chris allen ,

Welcome to the Outfit!

As @Guyfang mentioned - anything you can give us (him actually!) that nails down the numbers on a dataplate for that tractor will help a lot. Somewhere maybe in the cab you should find the military plate that says what the machine is. Snap a picture of it and upload it here.

That looks like a TOUGH machine!

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
They used that motor in mep009a military genset also 825b cat compactor a 633c cat elevating pan also a bunch of cat marine engines and look at the 1693 cat engine some parts were swapable

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks