• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Looking for help with 4L80E transmission on an M1123 HMMWV

CynicalOverload

I am a 15 year old in the state of Idaho who recently bought an M1123 HMMWV through GovPlanet. It has been depo reset in 2015 and has 3.5 miles on it. It did not come with a TCM, but I bought one from Austin on eBay. It has 12V power going to the module and is not shifting at all. Looking for advice on what could be going wrong as I have little experience with this kind of transmission and I am not sure if the module itself is good or not. Any form of manuals on the transmission or the TCM would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

papakb

Austin is a great guy but you need to understand his sources and why he can sell his parts at his prices. They aren't guaranteed because he can't test every part he receives so what you may have gotten is a part that was cycled out of an Army maintenance facility. Since the TCM is critical to the operation of the 4L80 you need to make sure you have a fully functional part before wondering why it isn't working.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
I think maybe He meant so how the heck does one test a transmission control module.
Read troubleshooting TM 9-2320-280-34 page 2-13
need codes thrown or maybe it or the wires are dead and has no codes?

Last edited:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Read pdf:

Crapgame

Welcome to HMMWVs, Jr. Good luck with the troubleshooting on your TCM. There are several versions of that TCM each with different shifting points based on speed and the truck variant/GVW. I think eventually, every single task in the Organizational and Direct Support TMs will be found on social media. In the meantime, think of SteelSoldiers as Group Therapy.

CynicalOverload

I think maybe He meant so how the heck does one test a transmission control module.
Read troubleshooting TM 9-2320-280-34 page 2-13
need codes thrown or maybe it or the wires are dead and has no codes?
Thank you for the response. I have checked the wiring and it does have 12V power going to the module. How do I read the codes if there is any?

AAVP7

Make sure that you have this troubleshooting guide:

4L80 Troubleshooting

Lots to read, but it will answer all your questions about the 4L80. For example, you put the tranny into troubleshooting mode by bridging two contacts on the diagnosis port on the TCM computer. The guide will tell you which.

A healthy TCM, however, will light up the "Trans" light in front of the shifter when you switch your Humvee to "run". As soon as the engine starts, this light should go out. If the "Trans" light doesn´t go on on "run", that´s a bad sign. Either no voltage at the TCM, or some bigger problem with the computer.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
I figure He has a phone and never ever did read/study the
TM 9-2320-280-34 page 2-13. might need a simple puter to see PDF.
Maybe twsitt thing or facefart other silly things gives instant answers, look over there.

rolling18

I figure He has a phone and never ever did read/study the
TM 9-2320-280-34 page 2-13. might need a simple puter to see PDF.
Maybe twsitt thing or facefart other silly things gives instant answers, look over there.
i think thats probably true of most of the people here, most dont have the time / method to be studying reading manuals especially military one where a very young person who probably has way more going on thAn many of us. its more efficent to as what someone "HOPES" is a simple answer. should give the guy a break.. after all hees into HMMWVS! and working on his! how many young men his age are dooing anything close to that ! I applaud him and would help in as efficent way as possible. we should want guys like this in the "hobby"

loosegravel

Just a retired mechanic who's having fun!
I also applaud this young man for getting involved in this project. I just retired a couple of years ago as a lead mechanic from the local transit company near Seattle. I can definitely say that techs of all kinds are becoming very rare. Keep up the good work! Mechanical aptitude is defined as "a measure of a technical or engineering candidate’s mechanical reasoning and mechanical comprehension to succeed in their domain. It implies possessing a theoretical and practical knowledge of mechanics and mechanical associations." In simple terms to me this just means the desire to figure out how things work and then repair them. That will be your best asset as you progress. Don't lose it!

At 60 I decided to retire early. I still liked what I did at work but the politics of working for this "blue county" where I live became more than I could stand. I won't go down that rabbit hole, but I can tell you that I actively "play" up in my shop. Over the past few years, I've bought 23-24 different MEP surplus military generators to play with. These are amazing machines and I've come to appreciate them greatly. I've also come to really appreciate this forum in the process. The willingness of all of these people to give their time freely to help others is simply amazing! I've also tried to give back when I can.

I've recently rebuilt (2) different 4L80E's for "LS swap" projects. I'm using the stock P59 PCM's out of the "doner vehicles" to run the 6.0L engines as well as the transmissions in both of these projects. It can seem like a daunting task to trouble-shoot something electrical when it's not working correctly. But, as others here have already mentioned, follow the trouble-shooting trees accurately and don't leave any steps out. I must add here that I'm not familiar with the HMMWV's. So, I do not know how the 4L80E transmission is interfaced electrically with these vehicles? It sounds like a separate PCM?

But because you haven't actually seen this transmission in this vehicle work correctly, I would start with some fluid basics first before diving into the electrical abyss. Drain the fluid, replace the filter and refill the transmission to the proper level with the correct fluid. There's also a test port on the left side of the transmission case. (Get yourself an ATSG manual for this transmission...they're about $35 and full of great information...also the TM's here on this forum are something that you'll want to familiarize yourself with) If you have access to 0-300 PSI gauge, thread it into the transmission and see what kind of pressure you have. You should see 40-70 PSI at idle and 160-180 PSI with 2500 RPM or more. I know that this unit is supposedly "new", but none the less if you don't have any fluid pressure then there's no sense in throwing more time at trouble-shooting the electrical components when there's an internal problem with the pump.

Good luck, and have fun in the process!

rolling18

Unfortunately I did not notice that...
but the meaning is still there we still need more people like him and we never found out if he got his transmission problems fixed! Heh

hahnmgh63

I see on the newer TCM's it lists the parts as TCM-2100AB/AC/BB/etc.... I don't see in the manuals any listing of what those TCM part #'s mean? The TCM I have still list the different Eprom's. Is there a updated pub which lists which TCM is for which vehicle? I've got a non-armored M1097A2. I'm running a Quickshift Q4 in my M998 that I converted to a 4l80e but I'd like to keep the M1097A2 original since it's all wired up. Had the Aluminum TCM box but the TCM itself was missing, as well as most all of the fluids were drained.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I see on the newer TCM's it lists the parts as TCM-2100AB/AC/BB/etc.... I don't see in the manuals any listing of what those TCM part #'s mean? The TCM I have still list the different Eprom's. Is there a updated pub which lists which TCM is for which vehicle? I've got a non-armored M1097A2. I'm running a Quickshift Q4 in my M998 that I converted to a 4l80e but I'd like to keep the M1097A2 original since it's all wired up. Had the Aluminum TCM box but the TCM itself was missing, as well as most all of the fluids were drained.
Found this

basically AB, AC are for turbo trucks, BA, BB are for non turbo. All that changes are the shift points

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
one is for turbo truck and one is NA trucks…but you don’t necessarily need to go with that particular MFG…the early GM controller is upgradeable…the PCS is not.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The TCM-2100AB Etc. is a TCM built by PCS, it does not require a eprom but is rather expensive.
You can use a reman TCM 609 but will also need to purchase an eprom
Here is one source for the TCM609

There are two eproms available from this source depending on if you have a NA or Turbo motor

Some sellers sell the TCM609 without a core charge but they just include it with the price.

hahnmgh63

Found this

basically AB, AC are for turbo trucks, BA, BB are for non turbo. All that changes are the shift points
Thanks. Somebody posted the shift points only change by about 500 rpms, doesn't sound like much but when you're talking about a Diesel that doesn't rev too high anyway 500rpm's can be quite a bit.
Side thought. I just read about some of the later HMMWV's having Anti-lock brakes. I didn't know any versions had anti-lock brakes. I've been out of the forums for the last few years but now that I've got the new to me 1097A2 and doing some repairs on it I'm getting back in.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks