• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Looking for Huey

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is a place in Olympia Washington that reconditions hueys and yes in order to get an airworthiness certificate it needs to be inspected by an airframe ,powerplant who is certified to sign off and inspect. Over the the life of an aircraft different safety inspections and modifications are made by the manufacturer and FAA these all have to be verified also what you are suggesting can and has been done it takes time and money I was an air force aircraft maintenance technician and have friends that buy old plans and reconditions them and unless you can do the work yourself and sign it off yourself it's usually cheaper to buy one that's airworthy already but if you have your mind set good luck it can be done but not cheap
No one can sign off hours. As said before helicopter parts are life limited, that means replace when hours cant be documented. Hundreds of thousands if not millions......

mthullm54a2

Not to sure what you mean about signing off hours but signing off different inspections and actually signing off the air worthyness inspection along with other directives. Airframe hrs are airframe hours and all parts are subjected to inspections due to hours and time , like annuals sand such but point is what the poster was wanting can be done. And parts that can't be verified can be N.D.Ied and other proseses but not trying to start an arguement just stating what I have learned from my airforce career and my other involvement in air emergency services aviation but like I said not trying to argue

Last edited:

Another Ahab

Not to sure what you mean about signing off hours but signing off different inspections and actually signing off the air worthyness inspection along with other directives. Airframe hrs are airframe hours and all parts are subjected to inspections due to hours and time , like annuals sand such but point is what the poster was wanting can be done. And parts that can't be verified can be N.D.Ied and other proseses but not trying to start an arguement just stating what I have learned from my airforce career and my other involvement in air emergency services aviation but like I said not trying to argue
We don't mind :whistle:

Attachments

Crapgame

The equivalent of looking for one of the $20 new in the crate WW2 jeeps. Good luck with your search though, love the Huey, was first mil aircraft I got to ride in at 14yrs old.

sue

Don't listen to the cry baby's.
There our a few old airworthy ones for sale
and if need be put in "one time or experimental,
ferry permit" status to fly
lately I have faxed a ferry permit request
and been faxed my permit ok back in a couple
hours

Another Ahab

Don't listen to the cry baby's.
There our a few old airworthy ones for sale
and if need be put in "one time or experimental,
ferry permit" status to fly
lately I have faxed a ferry permit request
and been faxed my permit ok back in a couple
hours
Who grants the permits, the FAA?

Guyfang

Staff member
Saw one on top of a building near schweinfurt Germany and one in (of all places!!!!!) the old DDR. Was on my bike, and the other 4 people didn't want to stop. It was raining buckets, so I didn't get a picture.

plym49

Static display means the engine might even be able to start and the rotors spin, but not to come off the ground even an inch?

What a hobby we have here. From $2500 Deuces all the way up to mega-million helos.

Rich or poor, it's nice to have money.

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Interesting thread. I wonder how it all turned out? Of my 26 years in service, 18 of those years was on Hueys. There’s no way I’d ever be able to afford creating an airworthy H-1. Now if there’s a static display opportunity, I’d think real hard about taking advantage of getting it.
“To fly is fine. To hover is divine.”

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks