• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Looking for information on buying and driving a deuce in va.

phreakboy

I will start of by saying I have lurked here for quite a long time, however just finally joined up a couple days ago when I began my quest to purchase an 1971 m35a2. I have a few questions and am really hoping that I can get some good answers since everyone seems quite knowledgeable here.

The deuce I am purchasing is down in VA and I am in PA so I am planning on driving down and driving it back. I am wondering if anyone on here knows what I can do for plates to drive it back on, does VA have transit plates and if so where would I get them?

My second question is what tools/supplies are a must have for picking it up and driving my deuce 220 miles home?

I am a diesel/large truck mechanic so I have plenty of knowledge on looking it over before I start the drive, but is there anything deuce specific that would be recommended to pay special attention to?

VA does have trip permits available from the dmv website, but I would imagine if you are are a PA resident and hold a PA drivers licence you would deal with the PA DMV to get a temporary registration/permit. Instructions on how exactly to proceed could probably be found on their website.

4x4 Forever

Emerald Shellback
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Spare 24v bulbs, good wire brush to clean grounds, real good tool kit (all sae), jumpers, oil, 90wt lube for the axles...

There have been several posts on the best tools and such to bring, you might want to search them out and also read up on some of the recoveries...

Good Luck, and post your exploits!

:popcorn:

Cruceno

+1 on the hearing protection. Aside from your standard toolset, I've found razorblades/razor knife handy. On my last recovery, the windows were so covered in green spraypaint I could hardly see! Had to scrape them at the first gas station I could find.

Where in VA is your new Deuce? Movingchicane and I are in the Hampton Roads area. Might be able to help you out, or preview it if needed

phreakboy

VA does have trip permits available from the dmv website, but I would imagine if you are are a PA resident and hold a PA drivers licence you would deal with the PA DMV to get a temporary registration/permit. Instructions on how exactly to proceed could probably be found on their website.
I actually spoke with the PA DMV and they told me that they couldnt do anything and I would have to figure out something through VA. I had searched on the VA dmv page but was looking for transit tags which is what PA calls them and had no luck, but I did find them under trip permits so thank you for that information.

I do have my hearing protection thrown in with a bunch of sae tools, can anyone tell me what size lug nuts these have? Also it comes with a military trailer and I dont really know a whole lot about them, do they use the same size spare tire? Also where is the best place to get 24v bulbs and what are the common size bulbs for the deuce.

Its located right around richmond area, the guys seems pretty straight up so im not super worried but im sure it wouldnt hurt to have some info for some locals just in case we run into some unforeseen issue.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I actually spoke with the PA DMV and they told me that they couldnt do anything and I would have to figure out something through VA. I had searched on the VA dmv page but was looking for transit tags which is what PA calls them and had no luck, but I did find them under trip permits so thank you for that information.

I do have my hearing protection thrown in with a bunch of sae tools, can anyone tell me what size lug nuts these have? Also it comes with a military trailer and I dont really know a whole lot about them, do they use the same size spare tire? Also where is the best place to get 24v bulbs and what are the common size bulbs for the deuce.

Its located right around richmond area, the guys seems pretty straight up so im not super worried but im sure it wouldnt hurt to have some info for some locals just in case we run into some unforeseen issue.
Socket size for Lug Nuts
What size are the lugnuts on a Deuce?
A3 lug nut size???
Picking up my M35A2, need tool suggestions for trip
Mandatory Deuce tools
need a tool

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Read the deuce FAQ. Many part numbers are there. At least some bulbs and a headlight as 24V stuff isn't at every parts house. Bring some handy magnetic lights. The LED ones you can stick in the cab, always needing extra lights to see gauges etc. I go NOWHERE without headlight to wear for roadside repairs. Make certain you have an infrared thermometer. Check hubs and such at every stop. Most of all have a cell phone and a way to charge it. Make sure you have someone at the other end that can access Steel Soldiers. I find this http://www.milwaukeetool.com/accessories/batteries-and-chargers/49-24-2371 extremely handy and portable for power. It has a USB slot but it's not enough to charge an Ipad.

phreakboy

So I looked into the VA in-trip permit and apparently I have to be a PA resident in order to get one so im back to square one and have no clue what I can do.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No one has mentioned the most important item to take on the recovery, one or two large limit credit cards.

w3azel

I'd also add an Ipod or mp3 player. It took me 12 hours to drive back and I was losing my mind singing every song I could think of including cadences. Also make sure your GPS or phone is fully charged or can be charged before the trip. No cigarette lighter when you need it.

phreakboy

Well good news is we made it back pretty much problem free, just took it easy on the old girl and made a few stop to go over her and give her a break. The only thing that really went wrong is in the last 10-15 miles a had a rear inner wheel seal go bad and start leaking. Can anyone tell me where the best place to pick one up is?

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wheel seals are available at all the usual places, Eastern, Memphis, Idaho Motor Pool, Erik's, TNJ Murray, Boyce, Saturn, White Owl, etc. Do some homework reading how to do it (there are very good write-ups here on this site if you search for them) and by the time the parts arrive it will seem like old hat.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks