• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

looking for Line Hauler or HET

I have had a M915, never hauled anything with it, but it was MUCH quicker than my M920 on acceleration (5 speed Allison vs. 16 speed CAT). Top speed would have comfortably been about 60mph with stock tires. It did ride rough, but I don't think it was unbearable, if on a really rough highway I am sure it would rattle your teeth out.

My M920 has an expandable box on the back, air ride seats, and 16r20 Michelin XZL's, I don't think it rides bad at all, and have had a couple other people that have ridden in it that agree, again, a very rough highway would probably make me think different, but luckily highways/roads in NC for the most part are pretty decent.

You will NOT want to use a 5-ton tractor (of any variant) for long haul trips carrying the weight you plan to carry, even with the 8.3 Cummins you will be stuck in the right lane and getting passed, all while working the engine pretty hard. I have flat towed a bobbed 5-ton behind my M920 and it didn't even care it was back there, I really wish I had a truck with the 7 speed Allison, but they are out of my price range.

For highway speed on a M916 or M920 you can put larger tires (16r20's) which makes them look great, and probably ride better too, but that is going to raise you 5th wheel height 2-3 inches, (on either m916/m920 you will not be able to haul a 13'6" trailer because the 5th wheel height will make your trailer over height).

The m916/m920 trucks are GREAT trucks, as are the M915. For long hauls the M915 (with some 395's for better road speed) would be much better, the 5 speed Allison is great. The m916/m920 are great too, but fuel mileage will be worse since they are absolutely huge, are geared lower, and are 6x6, you can probably figure 3-4 mpg loaded?