• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Looking for M35 Repair Shop near Huntsville, AL - Brakes

BugEyeBear

Hey guys I need your help...

I'm picking up an M35A2 near Huntsville, AL (approx 15miles NE of town) in about 9 days.

BUT, it has what appears to be a leaky wheel cylinder on the pass-side middle wheel.
While I could just nurse it home by checking the brake fluid level frequently, I'd prefer to have it repaired before hitting the road.
(I MIGHT get the mechanic to pull all of the wheels & check for additional leaks, cuz if 1 is leaking... well, you know....)
Road trip will be 400+ miles 1-way (depending on the exact route taken to SE Georgia).
It will seem like a much longer trip if I don't have reasonable faith in the brakes!!!

:?: Does anyone know of a truck repair shop in the Huntsville, AL area that is familiar with M35s??

Should be an easy fix, but I'd rather go to someone who doesn't say, "Gee I've always wanted to work on one of these!" , and/or "HMMMmmm I wonder what this part is for..." If you know what I mean!! :doh:

ANY RECOMMENDATIONS WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!!! :D

"Cheers!" :beer:
-Bear-

BugEyeBear

It may be a leaky axle seal, Or are you certain its brake fluid?
Not 100% sure.
I haven't been able to do a 1st hand inspection yet.

I'm relying on the seller's diagnosis at this point. (No reason for me to doubt him.)

Right now I'm simply planning for the worst, & hoping for the best!

I might take a few extra parts (wheel cylinder or rebuild kit, axle seal, etc.) with me to be safe.
(Murphy says that I won't need any parts I take!!)

Here's a couple of pics that the seller provided to me.

Good idea on capping the brake line. [thumbzup]
That might be the quick solution (IF it is the wheel cylinder & not the axle seal).

-Bear-

Attachments

Keith_J

It isn't hard to fix a leaky wheel cylinder. Either get a new/rebuilt wheel cylinder or rebuild kit and a brake cylinder hone. Total cost is about the same.

Now if the shoes are soaked...new linings which you might be able get done locally, otherwise that is another $56. And you will probably have to reset the lower adjusters.

2Deuces wild

Call around to local Mobil mechanics, Down load the TMs and give them to him. If its just wheel cylinder its a easy fix. Make sure when you get it home to check all the wheels for leaks. Front axle seal about 2 hours. Rear about 40 min rear easy. Make sure the key way is RTV good if not it will leak again. Check the fluid it may have Type 5 dot or 3 dot don't mix.

Attachments

Last edited:

800summit

Its probably the oil seal or the Cork gasket key way material that is bad.
Smell the fluid. that would tell you it it is gear lube. Be sure to clean the brake drums, and shoes real good after the fix. follow the advice above and you will be fine.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks