• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

looking for M35A3 winch parts

Sephirothq

I am looking to put a winch on my M36E3 I have a complete winch setup from an M35A2 So I have the winch and the bumper, the frame extensions and thewinch wounts.
I have also managed to track down an engine pump to drive the hydraulic motor.
I am looking for the winch controls the tank, lines, filter, and the motor on the winch as well as the adpater coller and the mounting bracket.

Now
another thing i was looking at incase I am unable to find these parts is to get some general hydraulic parts to make this work. Basically from want i have found in the TM the pump is always turinging. I could get a regulaer tank, and filter and have just a valave on the front of the bumper or in the cab to control the direction and the speed of the winch. Think log spliter parts. That has a control that makes the piston go forward and back, has a tank and filter. SO i would be good to go. I also think i know where a 5 ton hydraulic winch might be hiding. SO imight be able to get that.

I am not worried about origional US GI because the truck is a one of a kind. I am also going to be working on bobbing it this spring. IT's too long and i would get more use out of it if it was shorter.

Prior to bobbing it I will offer it for sale if some one wants to save it in it's origional configuration. Otherwise I will bob it.

BUt in the mean time looking for winch parts.

mudguppy

i've done a ton of research on this and have collected many of the parts already. there is only one part that you will have trouble getting off-the-shelf or fabricating and i have a source on that part - the winch input shaft coupling.

the motor stand is off-the-shelf - i can provide measurements this weekend if you like. i also have a hydrualic / PTO calculator that is used to appropriately size motors and pumps based on desired output.

lots to discuss, PM me and we can talk maybe this weekend if you like. then, for the sake of the thread, post pertinent info later?

Sephirothq

I have a complete M35A2 setup. but i think i am going to end up using a 5 ton front hydraulic winhc. I can see the coupling being the difficult part to get.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As Travis has said, the coupling can be had. There is one problem you're going to run into if you try and go hyd on a A2 though. I've taken the measurements and you're going to run into clearence issues with the A2 radiator if you try and go with a direct mount motor.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have an M36E3 with the cat motor in it. If i have to i could extend the frame extensions for the winch.
You won't have clearence issues with that truck. I was referring to people wanting to go hyd on a A2.;-)

Sephirothq

OK i have found out about the coupling but the part that i really need is the adapter that bolts the winch to the hydraulic motor. I am told this is available commercially. This part seems more critial then the couliping. Unless i am looking at it wrong.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Get the bolt pattern off of the winch input cover. You then should be able to go to any hyd equipment place and match it up if it is available. Or you could fab one up pretty easy if you have any fab skills and a welder.

Northern tool has several hyd motor mounts to choose from.

Sephirothq

OK let me know on the dimensions. I have seen a few at northern tool that i might be able to use. Depending on the adapter mount I might need a different coupling. What are the shaft sizes of the winch and the stock M35A3 winch motor? I have found a compnay called lovejoy that i might be able to get the couplers from if the other one won't work.

mudguppy

that motor stand doesn't look like my motor stand.

anyway, here are some pics of the stock A3 parts that i have.

specs:

Motor - Parker 113A-106-AS-0, 10.6 cid, SAE A-2 bolt pattern, shaft: 1 1/4" dia. with 5/16" keyway.

Motor stand - 4 15/16" bolt circle (4-bolt, 3.5" x 3.5") on winch side; 6.00" length FF-FF; SAE A-2 bolt pattern on motor side (2-bolt 4 3/16" threaded, 3 1/4" pilot dia.). one side of the stand has been sectioned; 1/2" deep cut that extends 3 1/8" from FF of motor flange, parallel with 2-bolt pattern. i believe this is present for radiator clearance?

Coupling - outter dia. is 2 1/4" (2.00" dia. at shear pin location); OAL of coupling is ~4 7/16"; winch shaft side is 1 1/4" diameter with the shear pin hole ~.5563" from end of coupling; 5/16" keyway extends ~1 1/4" in from end of coupling. 5/16" hole is used for shear pin hole.

Attachments

Last edited:

Monkeyboyarmy

I just checked my parts tm and it shows the solid type motor stand in the book.So it looks like either one would work. You may have to adjust the length of the coupler.

you can buy different size weld on sprockets and hubs .. as long as the sprockets have the same number of teeth (and same size teeth)the hubs are all different sizes to match your shafts.. you can put twin roller chain on to drive your winch, works good for somthing not 100 percent lined up (as in homemade mounts) we use that type of coupler in the oilfield for pumper trucks.. and to drive hyd pumps from stationary engines ,, its the same setup as the old massey farm tractors used to use

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks