• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Looking for M44A3 (ESP) History, Brochures

HDN

I'm planning on taking my truck to its first car show this weekend. I'm thinking about displaying some stuff alongside it, perhaps some pages from the manual or sales brochures from AM General, or other fun facts. I'm hoping some of you may be able to help me get some stuff prepared for the display:

1) Are there any sales brochures around that AM General had for the truck? I'd love to have a scan or PDF to print and display.

2) Are there other fun facts about the M44A3 to share? Here's what I know:
  • Only about 5,800 A3 trucks were produced across four models (M35A3, M35A3C, M36A3, M109A4) between 1994 and 1999
  • Each truck was rebuilt from about two M35A2s recycling good sheet metal and driveline components, with upgrades added (major ones being a Cat diesel, Allison automatic, super singles with CTIS, split-circuit brakes, air-assisted steering)
  • Built alongside the new-at-the-time cabover FMTV as a cost-saving measure for equipping Army National Guard units with newer cargo trucks to use, with the FMTV ultimately winning out on continued procurrement
  • Some surplus trucks were exported to friendly countries
  • A 5-ton ESP truck was planned and tested in several versions, but not adopted for service
  • Top speed, GVWR and towed weight rating reduced compared to the M35A2
  • An M35A3 was featured in the TV series The Walking Dead
I'll probably print the above to display for those who are antisocial motorheads.

Does anyone have anything they can contribute?

Last edited:

HDN

Does anyone have or know where I can find pictures of these trucks in the service? Could be on bases, in war zones, and so on. I haven't seen any besides those used by other countries.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks