• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Looking for picture of front spring pack loaded w/ winch

rtadams89

Anyone (or maybe a couple of people for comparison) have pictures of their front spring packs while loaded? Trying to judge if mine are sitting properly...

tobyS

No sorry, can't give a comparison. But what I noticed on my M35A3 is that they are nearly flat and look worn. A3's were made from the parts of earlier trucks...which may have included the springs on my truck (so mine may be same vintage as yours, even on a 93).

When I have the rear totally done on my 4x4 project, then I will be rebuilding the fronts and bringing the front up about 2".

While working on the back springs, which are from an M105, I noticed they are the same spring...same thickness, same lengths, same ends as the fronts of our M35.

The M105 trailers set a lot and the springs on most are like new. They have a curvature that I believe our deuces started with. I'm not sure, but I think they are totally interchangeable.

Thus I plan on using the M105 spring to rebuild my M35A3 fronts and at the same time, add a few leafs to support a snow plow.

Modiconman

I am going to be replacing my front springs soon. I already have the new replacements.
I replaced the shocks about a year ago and had a helluva time getting them on, even when fully compressed.
My assumption was that the springs were weak. I am going to perform the caster fix to the upper mounts and replace the bushings and pins as well. I can take some photos this evening, of the height of the old ones, still installed, and the new ones still unused laying on the floor.

Modiconman

Here are a few photos. The new springs on the floor appear to have a 4" arch to the centerline of the bushing holes.
The old mounted, loaded (with a winch) springs appear almost flat.
I hope this helps. I may take a few photos after I get them installed. That may be a few weeks though.....honey do projects are building up.....lol

Attachments

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am counting 12 leafs in your old a new springs. Common wisdom is that w/w trucks had 2 (or sometimes 3) leafs added to the 10 standard leafs.
My w/w truck's front springs look "almost" flat. They have a very small arch. I'll tale a pic tomorrow and measurements.

Modiconman

Cattlerepairman, yes I understand the same info, more leafs on a winch truck. i have been told that they are almost flat as well. Just my experience with the shocks not fitting when completely collapsed concerned me. We'll see when i replace them....may have the same issue, but my 50 year old springs will get a rest!

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
20200610_104020.jpg

Passenger side:

20200610_104040.jpg

The truck is not on fully level ground; the driver side is slightly compressed but still has about a 1 in arch to it. The passenger side is slightly decompressed and arches about 1 1/2 - 2 in.

Certainly not a 4 in arch as in your new springs, but not totally flat, either. And my truck only has 10 leafs (was a wo/w originally; military slapped a winch on at some point but did not uprate the springs it seems).

tobyS

I'm glad to have gotten (2) M105 donors along the way (for my 4x4). The backs are on with 10 leafs and an air bag. I expect to rebuild the front and may put air bag on with the rebuilt spring, 11 leafs, for when I have a plow hanging out there.

I took the 105 springs totally apart without pulling the U retainers off and cleaned to bare metal. Sandblasting would be good but I used my hand grinder with sanding wheel. Then I used red primer, black paint, aluminum paint on mating surfaces and some red grease as I put them together. I never want the rust (like above and my current front) in there again if I can help.

Edit; Just an observation on your pictures, notice the angle on the perch? That is the castor angle used on the reversed bud and bias tire 9.00 but when going to radial and bigger, like A3 rims or all the way to 395's, that perch has to be made near flat. It tracks better, does not "wander" (as much).

Last edited:

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Edit; Just an observation on your pictures, notice the angle on the perch? That is the castor angle used on the reversed bud and bias tire 9.00 but when going to radial and bigger, like A3 rims or all the way to 395's, that perch has to be made near flat. It tracks better, does not "wander" (as much).
Thank you and you are absolutely right. It is on my to-do list. It was ok without power steering, but with the power steering now it really is squirrely on the road. I need to fix that. Check toe in, adjust to close to 0 and then shave the high side of the spring shim perch caster plate thingy.

Modiconman

Great photos. More confirmation that my spring are old and weak....like me I guess! LOL!
Good observation on the spring perches! Definitely are going to mill them down for a proper caster angle.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks