• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Looking for prices on RGN Load from Warner Robins, GA, to Jackson, MI

tcody

Dave - you don't necessarily need a RGN to be able to unload. I have used a step deck with ramps to move a truck similar to yours. Either turn down the brakes or air up the system to release the brakes and you can roll it down a set of ramps without a problem. This would give you access to a wider group of trailers and lower cost.

fnsexpress

Dave - you don't necessarily need a RGN to be able to unload. I have used a step deck with ramps to move a truck similar to yours. Either turn down the brakes or air up the system to release the brakes and you can roll it down a set of ramps without a problem. This would give you access to a wider group of trailers and lower cost.
If you were the one there to get your own equipment you could offer the guy a few bucks to let you use a loading dock use 2 forklifts to pick up the ass end by putting one forklift on each side picking it up by the tires and backing the end of the trailer under it then picking the front the same way and backing the trailer under it the rest of the way I have loaded many of my stepdecks this way but the truth is not many guys driving a truck now days have enough common sense to do it with out damaging some thing the cheaper way would be a stepdeck but it cant load from the ground need a dock or one with loading ramps but it needs to run stepdecks dont have a winch to pull it up

Attachments

tcody

If you were the one there to get your own equipment you could offer the guy a few bucks to let you use a loading dock use 2 forklifts to pick up the ass end by putting one forklift on each side picking it up by the tires and backing the end of the trailer under it then picking the front the same way and backing the trailer under it the rest of the way I have loaded many of my stepdecks this way but the truth is not many guys driving a truck now days have enough common sense to do it with out damaging some thing the cheaper way would be a stepdeck but it cant load from the ground need a dock or one with loading ramps but it needs to run stepdecks dont have a winch to pull it up
I think the truck he is moving might need this to load!

Attachments

paradeduty

Wow Guys! I didn't know that I was going to open a big can of worms on here over how big is too big without permits, etc!!

Cody - thanks for posting that link to the ramp manufacturer/retailer - man those are some heavy duty ramps! In the one picture the driver has all of the front weight of the HEMTT Tanker on the front most axle and in turn on one point of the ramps (not spread out over 4 tires instead of 2) - wow!

OK - well I might as well let the cat out of the bag before some folks run out of popcorn! I ended up buying the M985 HEMTT Cargo Truck out of Warner Robins, GA.

At the time, the big girl was not running and had a few flat tires. I had some pretty good feeling feedback from the GL site manager about the state of the truck so I figured that I would put a little time into the rig while the EUC was in review. The site manager, John McGee, was excellent and initially gave me a suggestion for a reputable Wrecker/Recovery company who gave me a pretty reasonable price to have the truck tugged to their yard and then loaded upon arrival of the trucking company. Well, had the time while awaiting EUC, so another call to John got me a good heavy truck tire service company. Excellent price to run down to the base - deal with base access (again, thanks to John) and repair four of the big shoes on her (actually, they said that it was mostly valve stem issues, but they still had to pull two of the fronts off the hubs for access). So she was then sitting high and proud again waiting for a taxi. Well, still had some time awaiting EUC, so the guys at the tire shop gave me a couple heavy diesel mechanics to call in the area. One of the shops seemed on it and had the time, so another call to John got them on base and wrenches a-flyin'. The guys just called me late this afternoon that they got her running without too much trouble. I guess they had a little excitement as they had to kind of pack up for a bit for some type of "land mine sweep/caution/warning" on base - once that had cleared, they could finish - deffinitely not your typical service call! Not too bad - they said that it already had fuel (kind of surprising) and the batteries were still up (really surprising) and they just had to use an external electric fuel pump to prime the injectors and mechanical fuel pump. The guys who ran it out of fuel must have been like me and not known that the old Detroits do not have enough "draw" and so WILL NOT self prime. So, learning moment to all of us out there (who don't already know better) who have the old Detroits - DO NOT run them out of fuel - PITA!

So anyways, the latest update is that she is up and running and waiting for a shuttle to join the fleet.

Thanks guys, Dave.

Derrickl112

Steel Soldiers Supporter
buy a landoll $95,000 a truck $$$$$$$ ins $$$$ fuel$$$$ and all the other stuff that comes a long with a trucking co. and see lets see if you can haul some guys oversize toy for any cheaper ???

You can charge what ever you want... But I said your nuts for saying $6 a mile because someone a couple posts before you said they can do it for $3 a mile.

BTW

Nice trailer :drool:

Last edited:

tcody

Dave - you are getting enough big trucks you should look at a suitable trailer. You should look at a globe 40 ton tag. You could spec a few feet longer, put a S250 shelter on the front and it can be titled as a travel trailer and hauled behind the PLS! They will even paint it in CARC. Now that would be a site - a 10x10 PLS hauling a M985. Custom Tag-A-Long Heavy Equipment Trailers

Attachments

tcody

- man those are some heavy duty ramps! In the one picture the driver has all of the front weight of the HEMTT Tanker on the front most axle and in turn on one point of the ramps (not spread out over 4 tires instead of 2) - wow!
Dave - I thought you would like that without completely giving away your secret!

Attachments

paradeduty

Cody - Wow - there is some serious steel on that 40 ton tag trailer!

Can imagine that being titled as an RV! HA!

Would love to put an "RV" container on the PLS M1076 trailer I have, but it would be too tall. Sad. Oh well, sounds like a good plan B. Unfortunately, have to get around the "new" pricetag for a very occasional trailer - I have trailers now (civy and MV) that I do not use near enough to earn their theoretical storage and maintenance costs. But that would be a sight, wouldn't it?

Just an FYI for the heavy MV fans out there - Haggerty Collectible Vehicle insurance will not insure an MV newer than 1972 or something (so I was told at a big car show this past weekend at the "Haggerty Ins" booth). Just went to them as I have had my '68 Eldorado with them and they are out of Michigan - so why not... But the HEMTT's and PLS are newer and so havn't had this problem before. The sales agent there actually pointed me toward J. C. Taylor. Havn't talked to them yet, but their online application and website claim to cover Military Vehicles specifically (amongst others) and also only 19 years and older (not the typical 25). So the 1994 PLS is only a year out of range for Taylor. Still have to register the PLS with typical plates as Michigan is still 25 years and older for Historic Vehicle Registration.

Dave.

paradeduty

UPDATE - UPDATE

Well Gang, the M985 is on the way home. Talked to the driver at about 2:00 pm (Michigan) and he said that he was just pulling out of the gates at Warner Robins. Should arrive in Jackson, MI at about the same time tomorrow. Got some pallets loaded in the bed of the truck for 13Mike that he got out of there and the driver tarped them off so they are hitch hiking a ride as well! The driver (Brian Stillwell with B & R Trucking - Flint, MI - 810-577-8670) said that it fired right up and all of the tires were still up when he got there to load. So - cudo's to Jerry's Mechinical Service, Inc. (478-788-7392) and Raffield Tire Master (478-788-7862) both out of Macon, GA. Got to love working with professionals. Both seem to be stand up guys that just do what they say they are going to do and do it right without being badgered. This was deffinitely the way to go. HOO HOO - she's on the way home! Now there is a proper tow rig for the M989A1 HEMAT Ammunition Trailer. Pictures forthcoming upon delivery. Dave.

tcody

UPDATE - UPDATE

Well Gang, the M985 is on the way home. Talked to the driver at about 2:00 pm (Michigan) and he said that he was just pulling out of the gates at Warner Robins. Should arrive in Jackson, MI at about the same time tomorrow. Got some pallets loaded in the bed of the truck for 13Mike that he got out of there and the driver tarped them off so they are hitch hiking a ride as well! The driver (Brian Stillwell with B & R Trucking - Flint, MI - 810-577-8670) said that it fired right up and all of the tires were still up when he got there to load. So - cudo's to Jerry's Mechinical Service, Inc. (478-788-7392) and Raffield Tire Master (478-788-7862) both out of Macon, GA. Got to love working with professionals. Both seem to be stand up guys that just do what they say they are going to do and do it right without being badgered. This was deffinitely the way to go. HOO HOO - she's on the way home! Now there is a proper tow rig for the M989A1 HEMAT Ammunition Trailer. Pictures forthcoming upon delivery. Dave.
You're my hero!:-D

paradeduty

Thanks Cody -

I don't know though - I have seen pictures of your MAN collection - pretty darn impressive there!

I know that the US used them for a bit, but they have to be a little difficult to track down, too.

By the way, thanks for the pictures/links about the heavy duty loading ramps. I just always felt a little queezy about loading a 40K truck with ramps! But now that I can see how they are made and that it isn't as "rare" a practice as one might think, it made the decision to go with Brian much easier. He seemed to have no problem at all (course the fact that it was running no doubt made the loading a lot easier). I'll get to see them in action later today for the off-loading. But then again, this is the only heavy truck that I have that I could have gone this way with. Both the M1074 PLS and the M984E1 HEMTT Wrecker both tip the scales at 55-56K and the HMTT Prototype is just too tall with the non collapsible crane. Those ended up using an RGN, which is why I was leaning that way.

Thanks for all of your advise - and yes I am still dreaming about a heavy duty tag trailer thanks to you (my wife says you are on the "banned" list - not allowed to play with you ANY MORE!).

Dave.