• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Looking for some advice on a hyd pump for a snow plow set up.

rideoffroad

What I have is a trans pto dual out put for 817.I want to use the rear out put to run a hyd pump.Any advice on a pump ?The plow will have power angle and lift.Thanks

Neophyte

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Steel Soldier "Autoshopteacher" did one about two years ago.......extremely well done.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...7-(Now-that-winter-is-almost-over)&highlight=

I personally used a Halodex 24v power pack for my plow (on the lift) and used the M925 winch hydraulics for the angle cylinders.

The current hydraulic pump will be plently of GPM at pressure for the big cylinders a plow uses. I think you could plumb your hydraulics right off the pump vs. adding a new pump (say a manual splitter valve with some solenoids to control flow to the cylinders).

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is there a reason this was placed in the "website help" section of the forum, rather than the proper "5 ton Mods" section. You will get much better results and answers for your questions if you put stuff in the proper place. There are a lot of people who only look at one/two specific section of the forums, who might have great knowledge of what you are wanting to accomplish. But by not having it in the proper location, they might never see it.

I'll move it for you, but please try to place things in the correct area from here on out. Thanks

Csm Davis

I believe that the op is asking for a size suggestion for the pump. The plow manufacturer should give you the required volume and pressure to run the plow. That being said you might want to check to see what the most common pump used in the range that covers your plow use and other things that you might want to use off season.

Jakelc15

My current plow hydraulics are ran off a electric power pac.
When I find a pto for my truck, I have a parker P20 pump to install. Most of the older plow tricks at work use a p20 or similar pump. It runs the plow, dump body, and salt spreader.
Cast iron gear pumps last almost forever and are cheap to rebuild. I'd stay away from the barrel and plunger variable type of pump.
My P20 1.75" section will run plow, hydraulic winch and wet line out the back for my dump trailer.

And my electric pump is a 12v unit, works just fine for the plow. Ran off 24v.

All of the commercial plows I have worked on require no more than 2500 psi.

Jakelc15

My plow frame.jpg
Here is a pic as promised, not that good, let me know what you wanted a pic of.

I just looked at my electric pump, output is 1.3 gpm. Plow moves quick.

Last edited:

Jakelc15

The transmission pto should turn pretty close to engine rpm. Alot of the cast iron gear pumps are rated to turn at engine rpm indefinitely. We use them at work and they're crankshaft driven off the front of the engine. On all the time.